1 (edited by statik70 2023-03-16 09:48:12)

Topic: Multiface 1 - driver update >> sound is gone :(

Hi!

This is my first post. I've been using my RME Multiface for years, until yesterday evening. I updated the driver and the firmware but that was a mistake. The sound card make a really bad sound. I'm quite sure this has to do with the driver update and i could use some help.

I have a PCI card for the Multiface, but that card is plugged into a converter card from PCIe to PCI. That works fine, but i found out that running a firmware update doesnt work anymore sad

I can run the firmware update (it should update to version 55) and it says it worked fine, but when i try to re-run it, it says that the current firmware is version 50. I also updated the driver to version 4.40.

It gives a warning: This driver version requires a new interface firmware for enhanced functionality. My guess is that i need to go back to an older driver, but which? and where?

Anyone that can help?

Thanks in advance,
Johan.

2 (edited by vinark 2023-03-16 11:46:44)

Re: Multiface 1 - driver update >> sound is gone :(

Have you fully powered down the computer? The firmware update needs a cold reboot afterjust to be certain remove the power to the computer for 1 minute.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Have you fully powered down the computer? The firmware update needs a cold reboot afterjust to be certain remove the power to the computer for 1 minute.

Hi Vincent!

Yep, i did, several times. That didnt help. hmm

Hi! Problem solved, so i'll answer my own question, maybe it benifits someone else.

So... i am running Windows 11 on a new (year old) computer. Of course the motherboard has no PCI slot anymore, those are ancient, but i do have a PCI card for my Multiface, so.. i bought a PCIe to PCI convertor and that works fine.

The firmware for the PCI hasn't been updated in years, so there is (probably) no need to do an update of that, ever. Of course, and here is where the stupidity kicks in, i did try to update the - same! - firmware, and doesnt work so much with a PCIe to PCI convertor - the erasing went fine, but the writing breaks Windows 11 (not even a BSOD!) and i was left with half written firmware. Of course the card didn't work anymore!

Now, i had an old PC with a PCI slot in it (and Windows 10), so i moved the card to that PC, installed a driver, updated the firmware (which went ok in one go, yay!). Moved the card back to the new PC and presto - got sound again.

So, in short, when you have a PCI card in a PCIe to PCI convertor:
1) Driver updates, yes.
2) Firmware updates, no. Doesnt work

Cheers,
Johan.