1 (edited by plf 2023-03-20 23:37:32)

Topic: Concurrently running RME USB kernel extension detected

I've just updated the driver from v3.28 to the latest version (v4.07) on my macOS 12.6.3 Apple Silicon machine and am now getting a pop-up dialog with the following error message every time I connect my Babyface Pro FS:

https://i.ibb.co/bWQDk5V/Screenshot-2023-03-20-at-23-12-22.png

"Concurrently running RME USB kernel extension detected! Please try to reboot your computer.
If this message persists, disable third party kernel extensions in security policy!"

Needless to say, I've rebooted the machine more than once and that does not solve the problem.

How do I solve this?

My firmware is also on the latest version, 203.

Re: Concurrently running RME USB kernel extension detected

As it says - turn back the security settings that you changed for installing the 328 drivers. See its readme if you forgot how to.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by plf 2023-03-22 23:16:34)

Thanks, that worked, but a question:

What's the name of the v3.28 kernel extension so that I can delete it from my system rather just block it?

You won't find it - that is the issue our new installer works around as good as possible plus gives this extra information. Set System Security back to default is the safest way to get rid of the old kernel extension being loaded in the background.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello MC. I did that. However, I'll have to re-enable the reduced security because of Rogue Amoeba's Loopback ACE component. How do I prevent the concurrent extension problem in this case?

See manual (paths and files for deinstallation), or here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 64#p197764

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I apologize up front for a newbie question, but I installed the 407 drivers over the 3.28a and am getting the same pop-up.  I've read through the Read Me for the 3.28, 3.28a, and 4.07 and after looking several times through System Settings and cannot find how to turn off the extensions.  I also did several Google searches.  I also just yesterday updated to the new Ventura 13.3.1 OS which might impact this. If I could kindly ask for some steps maybe more detailed than what I find in the Read Me, I would deeply appreciate some help to get rid of this pop up.  Thank you in advance for the help!

Getting rid of the old kernel Extension is not complicated, but cumbersome. We assume that the sticky KE is a bug on the later Ventura versions. Anyway, here is the procedure to get rid of it:

- Boot into Recovery Mode and set the security settings back to Default (High).

- Boot into the normal macOS.

- Reboot again - the hint is now gone because the OS has removed the (all) Kernel Extension.

If it is necessary to reduce security again because of other software (e.g. Rogue Amoeba), you can do that now.

After that Rogue Amoeba (example) has to be reinstalled, because it was also removed by the process of increasing the security and rebooting into normal macOS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Kind of annoying that you guys don't put some sort of warning about this.

Im not really a Mac wiz by any stretch 

Is this not going to affect any other apps that have enabled kernel extensions with, such as Idrive?

If they needed to set security to low - yes, as clearly stated above. Otherwise no. Not sure why you ask this at all. You must know what you did when you connected the Idrive.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias!

Similar scenario here - M1 Mac Studio (macOS 13.4) + Babyface Pro (203), I went to v4.08 drivers from v3.28.
I only get this message pointing to an existing RME USB kernel extension when starting "Fireface USB Settings".
Besides that message anything seems to be working properly.

So my question is:
Would there be any drawbacks or stability issues if I did not "uninstall" the RME kernel extension?
Since I also need some kernel extensions because of third-party software, I would like to avoid reinstalling the associated software after I have previously turned off the extensions and turned them back on again. 

Thanks for your support!

There had been posts here that removing the Kernel Extension also removed issues with audio when using the DK driver...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks - to be on the safe side I have now gone through the procedure, got rid of the kernel extension and successfully reinstalled the other software!

I agree 100%.

There should be an uninstaller for this.

smithgosha wrote:

Kind of annoying that you guys don't put some sort of warning about this.

Im not really a Mac wiz by any stretch 

Is this not going to affect any other apps that have enabled kernel extensions with, such as Idrive?

The uninstaller is part of the driver installation and not working correctly due to some wrong behaviour of the latest macOS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

How does Rogue Amoeba do it?

https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowled … -Uninstall

MC wrote:

The uninstaller is part of the driver installation and not working correctly due to some wrong behaviour of the latest macOS.

mjlollar wrote:

I apologize up front for a newbie question, but I installed the 407 drivers over the 3.28a and am getting the same pop-up.  I've read through the Read Me for the 3.28, 3.28a, and 4.07 and after looking several times through System Settings and cannot find how to turn off the extensions.  I also did several Google searches.  I also just yesterday updated to the new Ventura 13.3.1 OS which might impact this. If I could kindly ask for some steps maybe more detailed than what I find in the Read Me, I would deeply appreciate some help to get rid of this pop up.  Thank you in advance for the help!

Hi I can't find this either, how did you get rid of the popup? I can't find anything in Security settings

thanks

I am also unable to fix this using any of the methods provided here.
I can't change back the security settings because my Universal Audio products also need them.
Did anyone here manage to do a proper uninstall of RME drivers and software and get rid of this "concurrently running issue"?

Also my Fireface UFX III is not showing all the software playback channels (MADI 1-64 are missing) in Totalmix even though they are available in the channel layout settings and are not hidden. Perhaps this issue is related to the double kernel extention thing?

Re. MADI channels, is the unit connected to USB 3?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes it is.

21 (edited by gregor 2023-06-30 14:53:57)

Hi, it looks like for the latest upgrade of Ventura 13.4.1 this problem do not exist anymore.
My configuration is: Mac MINI M1 2020, Ventura 13.4.1 and Babyface Pro FS.
I installed today  DriverKit  v. 4.08 (2) over kernel extension Driver v.3.28B and the proces went smoothly. The only thing I had to do after reboot was to allow the Fireface USB Settings app in the Privacy&Security tab.
Reading previous posts I was worrying I will need to delete the kernel extension manually from Library/Extensions and clear the Staging cache using Terminal command, but not. Before running the Drivet kit installer I opened Library/Extension folder and Staging folder to observe the presence of RME kernel extension files. I saw, that after installation finished, the driver kernel extension vanished from both, Library/Etensions folder and  Staging extension Folder smile. So either Apple solved the problem with Ventura 13.4.1 or the latest installer is more effective at removing kernel extension...

So I didn't experienced "Concurrently running RME USB kernel extension detected" pop-up  after installation and reboot the OS after DriverKit installation over Kernel Extension Driver.  I hope that the installation will work in the same simple way for others smile

22 (edited by egor 2023-10-22 16:45:03)

Colour me "stumped." Last week, I updated my UFX+ RME FW/Drivers on my M1 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.6 from 3.28 to 4.08... as is the case with others, I now get the dreaded "concurrently running kernels" warning.

I have spent over 12 hours reading, researching, and trying the various quasi-documented techniques in this thread and have STILL not solved the problem. Note that merely disabling all 3rd-party kernels is not acceptable, since I have other devices installed that require this functionality. It's only the RME that's screwing up.

Alas, I'm a musician not a computer programmer... which, unfortunately, now seems to be a pre-requisite to solving this issue. This is the first time in 15+ years of RME ownership that I've had an RME issue I couldn't easily rectify. Is it simply a matter that this will "go away" once I eventually update to Sonoma? Or will there be some kind of "remove the old kernel" app that RME might release to allow actual musicians to get their UFX+'s running smoothly?

egor,

from 3.28 to 4.08

that means you switched from your old kext driver to the (newer) driverkit driver architecture.

As you didn't write more details, i can only guess:

Note that merely disabling all 3rd-party kernels is not acceptable

You do not have to disable your 3rd party kexts in general.

I think, it's just your old (3.28) RME kext driver which is still loaded...? So you have to throw away/delete/uninstall just your "old" RME kext driver. 

Did you check that your /Library/Extensions/ and /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/ folders do NOT contain any RME related files?

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Did you check that your /Library/Extensions/ and /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/ folders do NOT contain any RME related files?

Yes. all my other kext files show up in these folders, but there is nothing RME related in them. And yes, I updated from 3.28 to 4.08 carefully following all update instructions. But, as mentioned, every time I boot the Mac, I get the "concurrently running RME USB kernel extension" dialog box.

And yet the point is that after disabling and reboot you can enable it again...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please...Nothing to do. Could you please write here the procedure to eliminate this pop-up? Thank you

I'm up to 14+ hours trying to figure this out now. One thing I don't understand is why, when I go into the Mac's System Report and look at all the extensions, I don't see a single RME extension? Or at least not one with the letters "RME" in the name? And yet EVERY SINGLE TIME I boot the Mac, I get the "concurrently running extension" dialog. Where is it 'running' from if it doesn't show up in the extensions list? How can I disable something that doesn't even seem to be there? Does the 'offending' kernel extension have a weird name that doesn't include the letters "RME?"? Or at least 'weird' to a non-programmer like me?

And I agree with bbjmm. In the absence of an installer that works properly by removing redundant or outdated code, it would be great to have step-by-step instructions of how to do so. Not instructions that just say "toggle the twizzler," but actually show step-by-step how to do this, and don't assume you're a Mac coder or love to spend your spare time researching the inner workings of the Mac OS. :-p

You can try this

Clear staged KEXTs with command: sudo kmutil clear-staging
Shutdown
Boot into Recovery Options (On M1, hold down power button while booting)
Launch Terminal
Reset the KEXT system with command: kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/  (Or whatever your startup is called)
Restart

29 (edited by maggie33 2023-10-24 04:50:57)

egor, bbjmm,

a lot of people are trying to help you.

Backup your 3rd party kexts to any location (and maybe also the launch scripts in /Library/LaunchAgents and/or /Library/LaunchDaemons

boot into recovery mode, disable 3rd party extensions (via full enable SIP)... yes, momentary also your other "necessary" kexts will probably not work. anyhow -> reboot -> reinstall the driverkit driver -> reboot again...

Works now?

Than you can boot into recovery mode again and disable your SIP. And your neccesary 3rd party kexts should work again.
Maybe you have to copy/reinstall the kexts to its old locations from your backup. And reboot again.

It would help more to get a detailed feedback what you exactly did and what was the result.
Instead of beeing frustrated, while it seems you have a customized environment/system.
To be clear: you are saying, you are not a tech guy - but you disabled SIP to run your 3rd party kexts...?!?
Maybe, you want to ask Apple if there is a genereal Step by Step guide/pocedure to switch from certain kext drivers to driverkit, while keeping other kexts? Would be nice if you could share it here then.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

Clear staged KEXTs with command: sudo kmutil clear-staging
Shutdown
Boot into Recovery Options (On M1, hold down power button while booting)
Launch Terminal
Reset the KEXT system with command: kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/  (Or whatever your startup is called)
Restart

Eureka! Thank you SO MUCH mrkahuna! This was exactly the sort of 'dumb(ish) guy' guide that I needed to get through this. Obviously, once I did this I had to re-allow the two remaining kexts for other legacy devices. One of them (an old Pegasus drive bay tower) required that I actually re-download/install the drivers in order to get its disks mounted again... but this was all to be expected.

The UFX+ is now happily humming along without that annoying "concurrently running kext" dialog, and my other kexts are functioning properly (at least until I update to Sonoma -- but those are problems for a whole other forum :-p )

Many thanks! And a heap of virtual internet gold stars (for whatever they're worth).

Yeah! Thank you very much. It fixed this issue too: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38456

Excellent. You’re welcome and glad it worked for you.

MC wrote:

As it says - turn back the security settings that you changed for installing the 328 drivers. See its readme if you forgot how to.

Can't find theses settings...can you give the path?
Tank you

It not as easy as you claim installing 4.10. After entering my password, I get:

Password:
Checking the auxiliary kernel collection...
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=31 "Error occurred while building a collection: Cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Error occurred while building a collection: Cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided}
tombuur@TomsMacbookMax ~ %

I can't get rid of "Concurrently running ... ". It is there at every restart.

tombuur wrote:

Password:
Checking the auxiliary kernel collection...
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=31 "Error occurred while building a collection: Cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Error occurred while building a collection: Cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided}
tombuur@TomsMacbookMax ~ %

I can't get rid of "Concurrently running ... ". It is there at every restart.

I'm also getting the KMErrorDomain error, but the installer says "success", and I'm not getting the "Concurrently running" error.

Seems like everything's fine for me despite the KMErrorDomain error.

m1 MBP 14.3.1 // SIP enabled // kext-consent 67AK2U2X7M added // RME MADIface Pro firmware v73, driver v4.10, TotalMix 1.93

36 (edited by w.k. 2024-03-18 19:56:23)

Same issue:

Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=31 "Error occurred while building a collection:
Cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided" User Info={NSLocalizedDescription=Error occurred while building a collection: Cannot build collection without binaries as only 1 codeless kexts provided} (base) …

I have not set back the security settings as the pop-up window suggests after a mac reboot, but I guess the pop-up window should not appear if the uninstaller worked properly.

RME, how can we properly delete the kernel extension driver and not just blocking it?

Specs:
MacBook Pro 16“ 2021
macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Fireface UCX
Fireface USB Settings: Firmware v49, Driver v4.1
RME USB Series Flash Tool: USB 49, DSP 2.6, Firewire 27, Class-Compliant 14

Connection: USB to USB-C Cable

That error message is not an issue. Neither is the Security Settings warning. Only if the RME driver itself warns about the Kernel Extension. As that did not happen everything seems to have worked. See post #35.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME