1 (edited by mr.r 2023-03-21 18:23:28)

Topic: Adi-2 DAC digital out for digital speakers incl.volume control

Many modern speakers are digital and have their own DAC.

Adi-2 DAC  is still great for headphones. But I wish I could use it as a monitor controller also for digital speakers including digital volume control. Maybe even to use the eq for the digital speakers? When you could switch between both outputs (analog and digital) and each with their own setting (eq) would be even greater.

You get the idea. Make a full monitoring solution for headphones and speakers (analog and digital) out of it.

Re: Adi-2 DAC digital out for digital speakers incl.volume control

To be honest with you, you really don't want to have a volume control on the digital out... it changes the BIT DEPTH of the signal.  We have 3-Solid State Logic recording consoles totaling well over $1-million.  All of the processing within the consoles is digital, but the output to feed control room monitors is analogue.  They keep the signal path at the highest bit-rate possible then have great D/A conversion and an analogue volume control.  When it's all said and done it sounds AMAZING!!

Stick with the analogue out of the ADI-2 for driving powered speakers.

mr.r wrote:

Many modern speakers are digital and have their own DAC.

Adi-2 DAC  is still great for headphones. But I wish I could use it as a monitor controller also for digital speakers including digital volume control. Maybe even to use the eq for the digital speakers? When you could switch between both outputs (analog and digital) and each with their own setting (eq) would be even greater.

You get the idea. Make a full monitoring solution for headphones and speakers (analog and digital) out of it.

Rtfm...  smile

Pro and 2/4 Pro have digital outputs, which can be set to output exact copy of what comes out from rear Main Output 1/2. Including everything.

The setting is found from menu path and name:

Setup / Options / Device Mode/DSD ---> Dig Out Source.

Switching between headphones and digital outputs, by toggling output and mute manually: short press from volume knob or remote VOL-button + mute-button.

Or semi-automatically: via Toggle Ph/Line -function; long press from volume knob or remote VOL-button.

ericseaberg wrote:

To be honest with you, you really don't want to have a volume control on the digital out... it changes the BIT DEPTH of the signal.  We have 3-Solid State Logic recording consoles totaling well over $1-million.  All of the processing within the consoles is digital, but the output to feed control room monitors is analogue.  They keep the signal path at the highest bit-rate possible then have great D/A conversion and an analogue volume control.  When it's all said and done it sounds AMAZING!!

No worries. ADI has user´s ass digitally covered.

ADI´s digital volume control won´t change anything, except the volume level, because it operates 42 bit -depth. Far, far away from having detrimental bit reduction effects to 24 bit audio signal.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-21 23:45:27)

ericseaberg wrote:

... the output to feed control room monitors is analogue.  They keep the signal path at the highest bit-rate possible then have great D/A conversion and an analogue volume control.  When it's all said and done it sounds AMAZING!!

Several of the latest studio monitor offerings are based on digital internals.
Their analog inputs are converted to digital.

Feeding these digital monitors with a digital signal bypassed an unnecessary DA-AD conversion.
The DA-AD would have the same loss of bit-depth like a digital volume control, as there is the same amount of headroom necessary.

hello Sir MstrC-117: )

"because it operates 42 bit -depth".--------Hello, do you have any official evidence for this statement? How do you know it's running at 42 bit depth since I don't see this information on the official RME website?

In addition, my friend's company designs audio power amplifiers, and their company owns AP and R&S audio measurement instruments.

When I attenuated the volume on the "ADI-2 DAC" a lot (attenuation over 12DB), I really saw the indicators such as thd and imd on those measuring instruments began to deteriorate, so the fact is not what you said.

THANKS.

...............A.Kin from CHINA.

Please read the manual, chapter 31.13 Digital Volume Control.

Of course at the analog output as well as measured digitally the numbers will 'detoriate' at some point. That would be the same doing it 'analog'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME