Topic: worth it to upgrade from multiface ii to ufx iii?

I have a multiface ii connected to a windows based computer running i7 and 32 gb ram via a RME HDSPe AIO - PCIe. I've used this for several years without a hiccup. I use its lightpipe to run out to a uad 4-710 which has 4 preamps onboard as well as 4 extra tr outs for a total of 16 inputs (though I currently only utilize 12). I've never had a problem with the unit but have always wondered if I would benefit from a "better" unit. I know a lot of this is arbitrary but I think the ufx iii would be the logical upgrade. There are certain obvious differences between the 2, such as the ability to run at much higher sample rates, but I probably won't be doing that. My card has usb 3.1 so it would easily be able to accomodate the UFX iii, but is it possible I won't notice much of a difference?

Re: worth it to upgrade from multiface ii to ufx iii?

You will not notice a difference, except maybe slightly lower noise, but the chance you are now hearing the converter noise of the multi2 is nill, unless user error, like recording at -60db and then the ucx won't help either.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

You will have a lot of benefits from this upgrade.

Better analog section and a lot of features that the older Multiface didn't have. The MADIface USB driver allows ASIO buffersizes up to 32 samples at singlespeed. The latencies are as low as PCIe based solutions or even thunderbolt.

The UFX III has also received a few upgrades over the old flagship interface UFX+.
You can see them in my Excel comparison table.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

Current converters with only 6/7 samples delay and with the time distance between the designs I could imagine that something will do here also sonically.

Then of course features like:
- FX chip on board
- Autoset
- DURec - Direct USB Recording to Stick/Disk of up to 80 tracks
- much higher expandability through MADI
- more spare channels for "routing trickeries, loopback"
- optical S/PDIF for both ADAT ports
- Mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain
- higher SNR/THD values
- powerful and high quality headphone outputs
- support of different reference levels for analog I/O
- USB III Class compliant mode (driverless support for all channels for Windows, macOS, Linux)
- all very compact in one rack unit
- and so much more

You will like it :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by ramses 2023-03-23 07:56:17)

vinark wrote:

You will not notice a difference, except maybe slightly lower noise, but the chance you are now hearing the converter noise of the multi2 is nill, unless user error, like recording at -60db and then the ucx won't help either.

Hi Vinark. I didn't hear it myself, but there are a few people who state/claim that newer converters sound better compared to the older ones. All in all you can say that the analog section became much better.
The gain range for Mics and Instrument inputs are alone very nice indeed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Of course, I also believe my Babyface pro fs sounds better then my ADI8 AE, but I can not tell them apart in a blind test nor do I have a feeling of loss (of quality) when I work with the ADI8 on my main speakers (because the babyface is elsewhere) (and the ADI8AE is older then the MF2).
When buying new gear we always have a higher sense of awareness which makes everything sound a little better (in fact we listen better), but I know you know that.
To the OP, if you have no problems with the MF2, don't fix it. If you have some gear lust (we all do lol) get something that will benefit you, a new synth, better speakers or phones, room treatment, different microphone etc etc Or take a nice vacation lol!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks, everyone. That helps put things in perspective. Of course there are other things I'd like to prioritize first and may only change that as a necessity.