Topic: Sync question (FF800, QS, 648 adn HDSPe)

Hi Folks,
First let me say hello, although I've been a RME fan for sometime (FF800), this is my first post. 

Now although I've been searching the forums for sometime, I cannot seem to find the specific answer to my configuration.  I've been using a FF800 for sometime with very good results.  Nonetheless, a change to MADI was due.  I therefore very recently purchased the 648, QS and HDSPe MADI card.  I've been through the manuals and have configured them to what I believe correctly.  Unfortunately I am recieving intermittent crackling.  The crackling is heard through the headphone output of the HDSPe MADI card.  I can also see the crackling when it occurs through Total Mix and DigiCheck.  I tend to think it is related to the way I have the units synching to one another.  Rather than I explain my configuration, would some of the more experienced folks be able to tell me how to configure this mix of components properly?  Meaning, what should be the master, what are the slaves and who do the slaves sync to?  My configuration is below:

HDSPe MADI card
ADI-8 QS
ADI-648
Fireface 800 (for spdif input of MOFIF ES)
Sonar

Any assistance would be HUGELY appreciated.

-Dan

Re: Sync question (FF800, QS, 648 adn HDSPe)

Partly for convenience reasons, I'd set the card as master, then you won't have to switch an external device to change sample rates. Bot QS and 648 can sync to MADI, the Ff could sync to ADAT or Word Clock from the 648.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for this information.  I should have asked this question earlier; will I need cables other than the MADI and ADAT to sync these units?

Folks,
Based on Daniel's comments I changed my configuration a bit.  At first the sporadic crackling continued.  Upon further research I located a faulty ADAT cable.  Now we're clear as can be.

Thanks.