Topic: BabyFacePro - Multiple Outputs in MAC?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how BabyFace Pro should present its outputs on a MAC.

As it is now, on my MAC, under Audio setup, I just see one entry for BabyFace.  So whether I am in my DAW, in browser, etc, my MAC uses same output.

Now, I want to be able to have an app, say Tidal, output to a separate output, so that I can use that output for Loopback and not get confused with what is getting routed where.

Also, when I watch tutorial videos on TotalMix, sometimes I see in those videos a headphone PH 3/4 hardware output on the bottom row of the mixer, sometimes I don't. In my case I did full reset, and on bottom I see AS 1/2, AN 1/, ADAT 3/4, ADAT 5/6, ADAT 7/8. On right side, under Main, Assign I see Main Out as PH 3/4.  Is this typical default?

SO based on this some questions:

1) Is it normal on MAC to just see one output, and not have the option to have various outputs, so as to control what program is outputting to what software output?
2) Is it normal to not see that PH3/4 hardware output on the bottom row of the TotalMix mixer?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: BabyFacePro - Multiple Outputs in MAC?

1 yes
It depends on the software that uses audio.
A typical DAW like Cubase or Reaper has access to all possible outputs from the interface wich are in this case Software Playback channels in Totalmix.
Lots of software don't have the ability to select different outputs, they just use output channel 1/2.
2 yes, until you completed the configuration with the ASSIGN, you have to assign the headphone output to make it appear.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Ok, thanks, in case of the headphones, which hardware output on bottom is supposed to correspond? In manual, it says hardware outputs 3/4. But in bottom row of TotalMix, I don't see a PH 3/4 output.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-03-26 12:28:09)

No need to see the PH3/4 output channel, it is listed in the ASSIGN, click the ASSIGN button, click Phones 1 and select the PH3/4

https://i.ibb.co/qrzHXFD/Bildschirm-foto-2023-03-26-um-13-08-47.png

After the assign configuration this is visible :
https://i.ibb.co/jwwmSK2/Bildschirm-foto-2023-03-26-um-13-26-39.png

Ok, have it set that way now. What is not clear is what the AS 1/2 hardware output is for. When I hit play in Logic, I see the control room outputs - Phones 1 and Main - and I also see that AS 1/2 also has output, but if I mute it, adjust its fader, it has no effect on what I hear through headphones or my speakers, so just not sure what it is used for, and why it is part of the routing but not having any effect on what I am hearing.

6 (edited by waedi 2023-03-26 12:41:41)

For making the mute button on the channels working it has to be set active by clicking the M button in the control room
https://i.ibb.co/L9bdv50/Bildschirm-foto-2023-03-26-um-13-37-02.png

Hardware Output channel AS1/2 is the XLR outputs sockets at the backside of the Babyface.
For the headphones you have to use the fader of the Phones 1 channel or the Babyface rotary after selecting the headphone Out.

7 (edited by bhuether 2023-03-26 12:53:32)

I don't know if RME has made changes to its nomenclature, but in their overview videos, where BabyFace pro is used, they say that the XLR output is the Main output in lower right in the mixer, and that the outputs on the left are ADAT. See here:

https://youtu.be/ZkxzYlBiScA?t=198

In this video, when he plays from Ableton, he has no output level showing at AS 1/2. In my case, I see output. So I just can't figure out, if AS 1/2 is one of the digital outputs as he says in the video, why am I seeing output when I play from Logic...

Edit: Ok I right clicked that AS 1/2 output and chose Clear Submix, and it no longer has output. Just not sure why it had output in the first place.

8 (edited by waedi 2023-03-26 14:42:09)

All Harware output channels can have the Ableton or Logic signal as you route that signal from the Software Playback channels to the outputs.
The Main-Out can be any output channel available in the ASSIGN.
Usually the Main-out got assigned to AS1/2 for connecting the monitor speakers to the XLR outputs.
That is not fix. You have to prepare your interface for your demands. What you see in the video is how they prepared it.

Click one time onto an output channel next to the fader in the field. The whole channel gets highlighted.
Now see the fader position of the Software Playback channels, fader is up means signal is send in this amount to the highlighted output channel.
Every output channel has its own configuration of fader positions (submix)
Totalmix is a monitoring programm to send music to the outputs by you.

Good god - AS1/2 is ADAT/SPDIF. The XLR outputs are ANalog 1/2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I shouldn’t laugh but I could t help it!

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.