1 (edited by AdamBier 2023-03-26 20:02:45)

Topic: Appropriate Ventilation for Racked ADI-2 Pro R BE

As has been discussed in this forum a number of times, due the unique construction of its PCB, the ADI-2 Pro R BE can get quite hot from operation, which is considered normal in most applications.

I have recently installed my unit, along with a Digiface AES, in a rack with a Unirack. As shown below, it is currently sandwiched between a PDU above and a 2-slot horizontal 500-series chassis below, all of which are occasionally (though not normally) on for 24+ hours:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnilm6hgn306ee8/IMG_0638.png?dl=1

Below that is 1U of empty space (with a wood blanking panel) to provide additional ventilation for the larger 500-series rack below. Of course, the back of the rack is open.

In this configuration, the face of the ADI-2 Pro R BE gets very hot to the touch, and I believe it is the principal source of heat for the units above and below.

My question: is it necessary to leave empty slots above and/or below the Unirack in this case? If so, would a 1/2-unit vented panel on either the top or the bottom be sufficient, or is it necessary to leave space on both the top and the bottom? And would 1U vs 1/2U make a difference?

I realize there may be no one-size-fits-all solution, but I am curious to hear from the experts here.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-03-26 20:10:58)

Re: Appropriate Ventilation for Racked ADI-2 Pro R BE

I always leave a little space around devices in the rack if they tend to become hot and if there is no active cooling.

See here:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/gallery/raw-image/1017-lexicon-effect-processors-pcm-91-pcm-81-w-dual-fx-card/?size=large

The ADI-2 I placed for this reason on top of the rack because this wastes less room, then the rack does not need to become too high.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you, Ramses. That approach seems sensible and the photo is helpful. I think I can leave 1/2 unit above and below each of those devices.

You're welcome, I used 4 RU for 3 RME devices and 3 RU for the 2 Lexicons. Approx 1,7 - 1,8 cm space.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13