Topic: ADI-2/4 Pro SE - various questions

Hello all,
I received my adi 2/4 pro se yesterday & immediately installed the new firmware update. My problem is that I am using the adi in the usb mode and to access the multichannel mode. CC-mode is set to stereo & greyed out, so I can not change. Is there any other parameter that is blocking me from using it in a multichannel mode ? Further more I would like to ask if I could assign a separated channel to the 3/4 TRS output in order to have the 1/2 for my hardware mastering chain & the 3/4 for monitoring. Thank you in advance.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-25 13:53:46)

Re: ADI-2/4 Pro SE - various questions

dbourgiotis wrote:

... My problem is that I am using the adi in the usb mode and to access the multichannel mode. CC-mode is set to stereo & greyed out, so I can not change. Is there any other parameter that is blocking me from using it in a multichannel mode ? Further more I would like to ask if I could assign a separated channel to the 3/4 TRS output in order to have the 1/2 for my hardware mastering chain & the 3/4 for monitoring. Thank you in advance.

Unplug USB to change between Stereo and Multichannel mode.

Set:
I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source : “Ph. 3/4”

Read manual page 42:
... USB Playback channels 3/4 can only be monitored in multi-channel mode....

KaiS wrote:
dbourgiotis wrote:

... My problem is that I am using the adi in the usb mode and to access the multichannel mode. CC-mode is set to stereo & greyed out, so I can not change. Is there any other parameter that is blocking me from using it in a multichannel mode ? Further more I would like to ask if I could assign a separated channel to the 3/4 TRS output in order to have the 1/2 for my hardware mastering chain & the 3/4 for monitoring. Thank you in advance.

Unplug USB to change between Stereo and Multichannel mode.

Set:
I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source : “Ph. 3/4”

Read manual page 42:
... USB Playback channels 3/4 can only be monitored in multi-channel mode....

Thank you very much for all the help it seems to work perfectly smile Is there a way to also route also 3/4 to the spdif out ?

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-25 18:56:08)

dbourgiotis wrote:

Thank you very much for all the help it seems to work perfectly smile Is there a way to also route also 3/4 to the spdif out ?

Not within ADI-2/4.
If you look at manual page 42, it might be possible using Phones Out 3/4‘s  Loopback to ..., in conjunction with a re-routing through USB rec/play, in the host PC.
Might be possible, but doesn’t feel like a viable solution.

What are you heading for?

KaiS wrote:
dbourgiotis wrote:

Not within ADI-2/4.
If you look at manual page 42, it might be possible using Phones Out 3/4‘s  Loopback to ..., in conjunction with a re-routing through USB rec/play, in the host PC.

Thank once again for the feedback. My ideal set up would be to have 2/4 se as my interface/converter for monitoring, for being the ad/da for my hardware chain & for having a mirrored monitor path to the spdif to feed my clarity m meter. This is my mixing set up and I want to replace my apollo x4. With your help I ve managed to figure out the first 2 parts (though it seems that I can not use the headphones when having the 3/4 routed to the trs outputs)

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-26 12:26:15)

dbourgiotis wrote:
KaiS wrote:
dbourgiotis wrote:

Not within ADI-2/4.

Thank once again for the feedback. My ideal set up would be to have 2/4 se as my interface/converter for monitoring, for being the ad/da for my hardware chain & for having a mirrored monitor path to the spdif to feed my clarity m meter. This is my mixing set up and I want to replace my apollo x4. With your help I ve managed to figure out the first 2 parts (though it seems that I can not use the headphones when having the 3/4 routed to the trs outputs)

ADI-2/4 Pro SE‘s AES, Coax and Optical digital outs carry the 1/2 unprocessed signal (switchable to processed too).

Perfect for connection of a metering unit.

Headphones can be connected to Ph 1/2 in any case, for monitoring.

This way you can use:
• DA 1/2 for all monitoring demands, speakers, headphones and metering.
• DA 3/4 Rear TRSs and AD for an analog mastering chain.
• DA 3/4 Front TRS and 4.4 mm Pentaconn for occasional headphones monitoring in case a 2nd, independent headphones out is needed, e.g. for tracking with another musician.

KaiS wrote:
dbourgiotis wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Not within ADI-2/4.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE‘s AES, Coax and Optical digital outs carry the 1/2 unprocessed signal (switchable to processed too).

This way you can use:
• DA 3/4 Front TRS and 4.4 mm Pentaconn for occasional headphones monitoring in case a 2nd, independent headphones out is needed, e.g. for tracking with another musician.

Once again thank you very much for the information. This seems to solve all my problems, will try it. Would love if pro tools let configure the  3/4 - 1/2 (DA - AD) as an insert, but it is a small price to pay.

KaiS wrote:
dbourgiotis wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Not within ADI-2/4.

This way you can use:

Reporting back, I have found that by changing the dig. out source to main 1/2 feeds the spdif with the processed signal. Is there a way to feed it with the unprocessed one ?

9 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-26 17:55:52)

dbourgiotis wrote:
KaiS wrote:
dbourgiotis wrote:

This way you can use:

Reporting back, I have found that by changing the dig. out source to main 1/2 feeds the spdif with the processed signal. Is there a way to feed it with the unprocessed one ?

Yes, “Default“.

Manual, repeatedly explained on pages 40 ff:

The option Digital Out Source - Main Out (SETUP – Options – Device Mode / DSD) sends the processed signal Line Out 1/2 to the digital outputs AES, SPDIF and ADAT, for example to connect active monitors having digital inputs.

KaiS wrote:
dbourgiotis wrote:
KaiS wrote:

This way you can use:

Yes, “Default“.

Manual, repeatedly explained on pages 40 ff:

The option Digital Out Source - Main Out (SETUP – Options – Device Mode / DSD) sends the processed signal Line Out 1/2 to the digital outputs AES, SPDIF and ADAT, for example to connect active monitors having digital inputs.

Thanks for getting back, I am using it with default currently. I can route it to work through the daw, but I was hoping to have it routed internally. With default it seems that it is not mirrored to the 1/2 output pre DSP/DAC. Maybe it is due to being set as multichannel interface.

dbourgiotis wrote:

[... With default it seems that it is not mirrored to the 1/2 output pre DSP/DAC. Maybe it is due to being set as multichannel interface.

Yes, as displayed in the block diagram page 42 the digital outs are accessible separately in multichannel mode.