Topic: Adi-2 pro fs r vs Adi 2/4

Hello, wanting to know if you can use the new adi 2/4 as a proper monitoring head.
The adi-2 pro fs r had a issue where when you used the ARS as monitor source you had to use snapshots in total mix via Arc. Is this issue sorted with two individual outputs? Haven’t dig into it for a bit. Was disappointed with the integration with my UFX2. Selling my Adi-2 pro fs.

Thanks
Eden

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-26 22:46:38)

Re: Adi-2 pro fs r vs Adi 2/4

edenrausch wrote:

Hello, wanting to know if you can use the new adi 2/4 as a proper monitoring head.
The adi-2 pro fs r had a issue where when you used the ARS as monitor source you had to use snapshots in total mix via Arc. Is this issue sorted with two individual outputs? Haven’t dig into it for a bit. Was disappointed with the integration with my UFX2. Selling my Adi-2 pro fs.

Have to admit, I’m not totally getting what you’re after.

The only change in this regard with ADI-2/4 Pro SE is:
The Rear TRSs can be routed to Out 3/4 as separated balanced line outs.

I just answered some routing questions her, maybe that helps:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 84#p199684

3 (edited by edenrausch 2023-03-26 23:16:14)

It had to do with total mix. Had the AES routed from the ufx2 to the Adi. Using the Adi inputs as my record recording setup.
AES was routed to my monitors to listen to my master. Along with the headphone out of the Adi.

In total mix I couldn’t assign both the AES as headphone and stereo out at the same time. (Faders) I had to use the physical volume knob on the Adi. I use the ARC for this usually to adjust levels.

The fix was making snapshots of both monitor setups and flipping between them.

Some people had no problem with it but I found it totally annoying.

It should be seamless. Killed my brain figuring it out. Or why you could just have both.

I thought I had missed something but then was told here on the forum about the snapshot method.

It’s been 6 month or more that I just don’t use it. Turned me right off.

I also have a UFX+ with m32 ad/da madi setup. Very familiar with RME.

Eden

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-27 14:19:33)

edenrausch wrote:

Had the AES routed from the ufx2 to the Adi. ...
AES was routed to my monitors to listen to my master. Along with the headphone out of the Adi.

In total mix I couldn't assign both the AES as headphone and stereo out at the same time. ...

Here‘s the bottleneck: AES is a UNIDIRECTIONAL stereo-audo interface and does not transport any further control information.

Totalmix or ARC can not konw what‘s connected on the other side, and cannot independently control speakers and headphones connected to the same single port at the same time.

To do this you need to connect separate ports, like AES for speakers and Optical for headphones.

That makes sense. Unfortunately I have my Adat linked to a Expert sleepers unit for in and out CV. I’ve resorted to using the headphone out off the UFX2.

Not ideal. But with the the Adi 2/4 I should be able to have the headphone dedicated separately and the aes as master?

My original question. Master out to monitors from aes and master out to headphone out of the Adi. Both with dedicated control in total mix.

Dreaming. Seems to be the most logical way to use as a master monitor of of a existing interface setup.

Mind you the UFX+ and ufx2 headphone outs are great. Just hate not having the option to use the best quality possible.

Ok… after a coffee and thinking about this.
I have to remember that control over totalmix is via usb. The Adi is only a satellite unit. There had to be a separate physical path. Thanks for the clarity.

The Adi 2/4 will have this same issue.
To bad you couldn’t link/chain via usb for a extra digital stereo channel.