Topic: [Solved] RME FireFace UFX II Protools unable to locate hardware

Hello.  I just built a new PC and have a fresh installation of windows 11 and Protools 11.  I installed the drivers for my RME Fireface UFX II and it is working for my computer sound.  When I boot protools software though I keep getting the unable to locate hardware error.  Any clue what could be causing this?  I have all inputs and outputs selected for WDM devices (had to do that for windows to see the interface).  I've built PCs before and haven't encountered this before.  Just wondering if there is anything with Windows 11 and Fireface UFX II.  It is possible it is Protools as well???  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Re: [Solved] RME FireFace UFX II Protools unable to locate hardware

Update!!!   I needed to download the ASIO4ALL driver and that fixed the problem.  Sorry for the post and hopefully this helps somebody in the future.

Try with WDM devices 1

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

senchak wrote:

Update!!!   I needed to download the ASIO4ALL driver and that fixed the problem.  Sorry for the post and hopefully this helps somebody in the future.

I'm sorry, but using ASIO4ALL is not a valid and especially not a supportable solution.

ASIO4ALL combines all audio drivers of the system (no matter if ASIO- or non-ASIO driver) and puts an additional driver layer over it, which speaks ASIO protocol to the application.

By this, you stack two ASIO drivers on top of each other, this is double and counterproductive.

ASIO drivers from the hardware manufacturer actually have the goal of increasing/guaranteeing stability and above all, minimizing latencies through direct driver access to the audio hardware.

So install / use the RME ASIO driver, remove ASIO4ALL.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ahhah.  Yes, I immediately uninstalled ASIO4ALL.  it was trash.  I agree.  I uninstalled the RME drivers, then MADE SURE THE FIREFACE WAS TURNED OFF.  Restarted the computer.  Then reinstalled the RME drivers.  Then restarted the computer.  Then turned on the Fireface.  Then restarted the computer.  Then enabled the WDM in the settings.  Then restarted the computer.  Then loaded up Protools.  It then found everything and now everything is great.  Sorry about the ASIO4ALL debacle.  I wasn't trying to push that.. just found that on a quick google search.. then realized my mistake.