Topic: audio network card slot(s) on future UFX?

Hi RME,

thanks for great products!

I'm curious, if it would not make sense for future compatibility / modularity / better price if not required

to go similar route as some other manufacturers, and to offer basic rock solid devices with steadyclock FS and TMFX with upgraded multichannel speaker management

and let the user to choose and/or upgrade I/O in future if required, in order:

- Dante, AVB, MADI
- analog I/O, mic preamps, AES I/O, ADAT
- MIDI, SPDIF

Personally I really like UFX III, but missing AVB option and unused MADI is not making it viable, even I like everything else about it.

Some studio use cases would benefit from 4 front mic preamps and 16 line outputs instead of additional line inputs on the rear.

Best regards,

2 (edited by rmemius 2024-01-05 09:10:43)

Re: audio network card slot(s) on future UFX?

AND THE FX CHIP - we need FX especially in the PCIe cards so we can use software ONLY (Steinberg's amazing VST LIVE PRO) without digital mixer - MANY more analogue RME i/O will be sold*-)

The problem with adding a digital mixer is that the performer's in-ear personal monitor mixes use phone/ipad/etc. to adjust levels.

Having a digital mixer requires it's own satellite personal mix device (ipad/phone/etc.) which is not needed IF the PCIe card HAS SOME FX !!!

best wishes to all

3 (edited by timeltdme 2024-01-05 11:08:15)

don't get me wrong, but this thread is requesting I/O card slots for UFX, at least for the networked audio

nothing about PCIE or processing, maybe you missed the thread?

4 (edited by rmemius 2024-07-18 21:21:49)

I have changed my opinion/wish regarding the EFFECTS portion of totalmix being in network type cards and interfaces - i read one of the developers note (in relation to the new AVB/DANTE AO-X cards - sorry can't find right now)

THAT - (paraphrased->) it's already a miracle that the cards exist and adding effects (eq-compression etc.) is a far fetched and not sensible idea)   <-- MY WORDS

sorry for rush

NOTE: super glad I've come to understand that DANTE actually isn't what I want - it's AVB-MILAN i want.

This started my study - I'm NOW an AVB/MILAN FAN -    the audinate proprietary bit always bugged me - adding AES67 was necessary for them - I have a lot of thoughts on DANTE and I'm not going DANTE ever.  if I used the new YAMAHA PA speaker I'd need a converter to connect to them- that's the only thing I'm thinking on as an issue--- FOR NOW

started with this: YOUTUBE VID

[BEST AUDIO NETWORK?   it depends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxcaRrmfj_M

see the first bit - then - see everything from 9 minutes in to the end - the middle is simply about copper being good for about 100 yards.

a VERY rushed post - sorry.

P.S. AND, I'm currently believing that one HAS to use Audinate's Dante Controller software - whereas with AVB-MILAN RME has their own software and the software offered by MILAN ,  HIVE 1.30 ?  isn't needed...

not entire sure at this writing though, yeah, NOT into DANTE CONTROLLER SOFTWARE big time.

5 (edited by ramses 2024-07-18 21:57:58)

rmemius wrote:

I have changed my opinion/wish regarding the EFFECTS portion of totalmix being in network type cards and interfaces - i read one of the developers note (in relation to the new AVB/DANTE AO-X cards - sorry can't find right now)

THAT - (paraphrased->) it's already a miracle that the cards exist and adding effects (eq-compression etc.) is a far fetched and not sensible idea)   <-- MY WORDS

sorry for rush

NOTE: super glad I've come to understand that DANTE actually isn't what I want - it's AVB-MILAN i want.

This started my study - I'm NOW an AVB/MILAN FAN -    the audinate proprietary bit always bugged me - adding AES67 was necessary for them - I have a lot of thoughts on DANTE and I'm not going DANTE ever.  if I used the new YAMAHA PA speaker I'd need a converter to connect to them- that's the only thing I'm thinking on as an issue--- FOR NOW

started with this: YOUTUBE VID

[BEST AUDIO NETWORK?   it depends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxcaRrmfj_M

see the first bit - then - see everything from 9 minutes in to the end - the middle is simply about copper being good for about 100 yards.

a VERY rushed post - sorry.

P.S. AND, I'm currently believing that one HAS to use Audinate's Dante Controller software - whereas with AVB-MILAN RME has their own software and the software offered by MILAN ,  HIVE 1.30 ?  isn't needed...

not entire sure at this writing though, yeah, NOT into DANTE CONTROLLER SOFTWARE big time.

If you work with different sample rates, MADI is still the way to go.
Otherwise, sorry, but I am not really getting your point.
Better talk about requirements first, then its possible to talk about feasible solutions.
Without knowing demand, such statements alone are pointless.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by rmemius 2024-07-19 08:35:03)

Thanks ramses - as always you are honest and direct - appreciated.

YES, so my post was rushed and was intended to 'dispel' (?)  my earlier comment ABOVE here --

where i say that we need the FX (effects) chip portion of totalmix

--> I no longer feel that the eq/compressor/dynamics/delay/reverb  should be included with all PCIe card.

for a number of reasons - some reasons I cannot explain well enough -
partly due to not having much time to pull together all my fuzzy recalls and then re-find the great info I've quick-scanned recently.

best wishes to everyone
gotta run - *-)

rmemius wrote:

Thanks ramses - as always you are honest and direct - appreciated.

YES, so my post was rushed and was intended to 'dispel' (?)  my earlier comment ABOVE here --

where i say that we need the FX (effects) chip portion of totalmix

--> I no longer feel that the eq/compressor/dynamics/delay/reverb  should be included with all PCIe card.

for a number of reasons - some reasons I cannot explain well enough -
partly due to not having much time to pull together all my fuzzy recalls and then re-find the great info I've quick-scanned recently.

best wishes to everyone
gotta run - *-)

No problem, all ok :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13