1 (edited by fritzi 2023-03-30 23:44:07)

Topic: Fireface Power Supply - Difference between supplies?

I have the fireface uc and in the pursuit of better audio fidelity I had heard about those ifi power supplies, which are marketed to supply clean power or something like this, that it somehow inverses something like with phase cancellation and thus makes the electrical interferences disappear.
I had bought one and had used it for some time with the fireface (of course same volt).
But now I switched again to the original power supply from rme and suddenly noticed that there is a big difference of how you hear yourself when talking into the mic or singing. It is almost as if it is more accurate with the original power supply, but with more interferences as it crackles when power supply is off but gain turned up.
Also, when I had gain on 44 on both supplies, the ifi delivered far less accuracy with the voice. The sibilances and breaths and plosives are far less annoying to edit out now without the ifi and the voice feels easier to edit.
Now I took a look at the ampere which the power supplies have and ifi has 1.8A instead of the 2A on the original fireface power supply. Can this be the solution? That the ifi has less ampere than the original ff ps and therefore is not optimal? I got carried away when I bought the ifi, but I really don´t think it improves the sound, I rather think it deteriorates it.
Can this be? Or am I just caught in this placebo audio effect?

Re: Fireface Power Supply - Difference between supplies?

Placebo is possible of course, but the whole idea that RME uses a PSU that makes their hardware perform sub optimale is very unlikely to say the least. If their hardware would perform let's say 6db better noise and distortion wise they would of course do that cause the would sell even more. But i am 100% sure RME gets everything possible from their designs and then maybe even more....

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by Randyman... 2023-03-31 10:28:49)

To @fritzi's credit - I think he is saying the RME PSU was better smile

The amperage rating could be part of it - but I am doubtful the RME PSU is "at the limits" of its 2A capacity to make a situation where the 1.8A rating of the aftermarket-ifi would have such a detrimental effect on its own.  If the ifi PSU is truly starving the RME of current or exhibits sagging voltage @ load - then it is certainly possible.  I'd imagine beyond just the sound of the converters, the FPGA/DSP/USB would also not be happy with sagging voltage or being current-starved.

I would lean towards the side of placebo effect with Vinark - but it is very refreshing to hear a counter-argument for an expensive (and less capable smile ) PSU!

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I don't know about the ifi, but our ps shuts off at 2.8 A. You can suck out 2.7 A for minutes (didn't try longer). That's quite some headroom...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

vinark wrote:

Placebo is possible of course, but the whole idea that RME uses a PSU that makes their hardware perform sub optimale is very unlikely to say the least. If their hardware would perform let's say 6db better noise and distortion wise they would of course do that cause the would sell even more. But i am 100% sure RME gets everything possible from their designs and then maybe even more....

+1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Randyman... wrote:

I would lean towards the side of placebo effect with Vinark - but it is very refreshing to hear a counter-argument for an expensive (and less capable smile ) PSU!

Very refreshing indeed wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13