Topic: UFX+ Conversion Filters

What filters does the UFX+ use for conversion?

I really like the headphone amp on the UFX+. It's not as bright, is punchier and focuses the sound more than the my ADI-2 Pro FS R when using Audeze Headphones. This works really well when getting a mix to a point before switching to the ADI-2 Pro and Amphion setup, which is crystal-clear and critical. The Audeze's also sound clear and critical on the ADI-2 Pro, but there's just something special about the less critical presentation of the UFX+ headphone amp as a working tool.

Thanks,
Robin

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

2 (edited by ramses 2023-04-04 09:01:08)

Re: UFX+ Conversion Filters

My guess, but maybe RME has a different view, explanation to this...

I think the answer is: the default filter of the chip, optimized for highest linearity and lowest latency.

The filter can't be changed for recording interfaces.
To have it configurable is special for ADI-2 DAC/Pro series of devices.

If I remember right, this has to do with the converter capabilities, what's configurable.
For some multi-port converters, the priority is certainly different from to have this configurable.

When looking at the different filter types and characteristics, that are available for ADI-2 DAC/Pro, then I would assume something similar to the SD Sharp filter, from the manual:

DA Filter
Short Delay Sharp, Short Delay Slow, Sharp, Slow, NOS, Short Delay Low Dispersion. The Digital to Analog Converter chip offers several oversampling filters. Default is SD Sharp, offering the widest and most linear frequency response and lowest latency. SD Slow causes a small drop in the higher frequency range, but has a less aggressive (less steep) filter. Sharp and Slow are similar, but have a higher latency. NOS is the filter with the smallest steepness and therefore affecting treble more than the others, but offers the best impulse response. See the Technical Reference section for graphs illustrating the results in frequency response and impulse response.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ramses!! I hope you're well!!

Yes, I think you're probably right about it being the SDS filter. But, it could also be the SDLD filter. I don't know..

I run the AD-2 Pro at Slow and sometimes SDLD, which sounds great too.

wink

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

4 (edited by ramses 2023-04-04 13:17:18)

Thanks, Robin, I am doing fine, hope you do as well. :-)

But even if filter names sound similar, they do not have to be identical, see KaiS posting about filters of ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 41#p198641

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Robin Walsh 2023-04-04 14:25:17)

Thank you for the info!! smile

How do I figure what chips are in my ADI-2 Pro? Serial #51092416

6 (edited by ramses 2023-04-04 19:31:44)

AFAIK ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2/4 Pro SE have ESS converters built-in.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p165706

Just read the footnote of that table and it states that a small 'c' at the end of the serial number indicates ESS. So mine must be AK..
Also, the SDLD filter has been replaced with 'brickwall' on the ESS chips.