Topic: Sample rate synch?

Hello, thank you in advance for any direction or help you can lend.

I am running DigiCheck NG on a Mac with OS 11.7.2 Big Sur currently.  I have my machine connected via USB to the RME ADI-2 FS DAC (Which has a CD transport and a streamer connected to it) 

I was curious if there was a way to set Digicheck on the Mac to "auto synch" or "sense" whatever current sample rate may be running or playing through the DAC?  I can see, have, and can adjust the current  sample rate manually in the Audio Device setup menu in DIgicheck,  but irregardless if I have the "Set Actively" box checked or not,  the display will only show spectrum analyzer if it matches what the DAC is currently having running through it. 

I ask because as some streaming services/ sources may have varying sample rates from song to song (44, 96, 192 etc) I the display will stop if the input happens to change. (For example if Digicheck is set to 44.1 and is actively displaying the spectrum analyzer for any giving music currently playing, but the next song from the streamer connected to the DAC has a different sample rate perhaps 96K, the display in Digicheck will stop, until another song that has a 44.1k sample rate is played) 

On the DAC display itself it will show the active display obviously,  I was wondering if it was possible to have digicheck recognize automatically when a sample rate may change and continue to process the signal for analyzer display without having to manually go to the menu and select the current/ different sample rate...  similar to how the ADI-2 is capable if doing for its built in display? 

Thank you!

Re: Sample rate synch?

Try without "Set actively"

https://i.ibb.co/3r8nccw/set.jpg

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi,  I have tried that.  It makes no difference if "Set Actively" is checked or unchecked.  I too thought that having that option turned off would rememedy, but it does not.

I just did a test with 7 music files in different sample rates, played them in one set, the Digicheck NG shows them all without break.
My computer runs on Ventura 13.3, May be Big Sur is the culprit ?

Thank you for checking on your machine.  Hmm....  that is interesting.  Do you connect with USB or another means?

It was a Digiface USB connected with USB, music files played from computer to see if Digicheck NG does break on samplerate changes.

I am using similar.  My ADI FS DAC is connected to my Mac via USB. 

What seems to happen is this:  The DAC has 3 inputs- Optical, Coax and USB.  I have a CD transport connected to the Coax, a Wiim Pro music streamer connected to the Optical, and the Mac connected to the USB.  Digicheck is also installed and running on the same mac at any given time. 

If I am sourcing music directly from the mac, with the USB selected on the DAC. (I can be playing local files or streaming from browser, amazon music app, spotify, etc) Digicheck will perform properly and recognize and adjust for any differing sample rate as display as designed on the computer screen  (As well as on the display on the DAC itself)

If I change the input on the DAC to optical (Which receives the signal now directly from the streamer) and stream the same content from spotify, or amazon or apple music etc,  Digicheck will have to have the sample rate manually set if it should vary. 

For example... in Audio Device setup,  "set actively" can be off  yet the last set sample rate would be 44.1 KHZ.  I can play Spotify from streamer and the USB will feed the signal to the MAC running Digicheck and all is fine (Digicheck display is active and visually displaying the analyzers).  I can then jump over to Amazon Music and play content that is the same sample rate (44.1) and Digicheck continues to display fine.  If the next song comes on perhaps in ultra HD with a 96KHZ sample rate,  Digicheck stops displaying.  If the subsequent following song is back to 44.1 KHZ<  Digicheck works again.   I can of course go into Device setup,  check "select Actively"  change the rate to 96KHZ etc and Digicheck will work as well. 

That is what I am trying to figure out,  is if there is a way to have Digicheck recognize an incoming sample rate automatically when I am using the input on the DAC other than the USB..... as in while using the Optical input, yet feeding the info through the USB to the computer for Digicheck to display.  Specifically Amazon music seems to use varying sample rates from song to song,  so sometimes Digicheck is working,  then it isnt,  then it is , etc.  All happening since the rates are changing from Amazon Music when its coming from the streamer through Optical input.  Amazon Music coming from the app on the computer through USB with same sample rates changing does not cause the issue though. 

I ask only since a bulk of the listening is done using the streamer as the source with Digicheck running and displaying the program. 

I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense.

It does. And works as expected. Following external (!) sample rates is available under Windows via ASIO, but not under Mac with Core Audio and Class Compliant devices. There is no RME driver involved, Core Audio does not change the system sample rate automatically. For DigiCheck NG there is no obvious way to see the sample rate has changed and to actively set itself to that new rate - what must be done by DC is the same as manually changing the sample rate in the ADI-2 in Audio MIDI Setup, or by 'Set Actively' in DigiCheck.

We will discuss if there are possible workarounds.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the explanation Matthias and I understand and appreciate you taking the time to clarify.   Great products by the way!  I am very happy with the performance and features of the DAC and Digicheck is a fantastic bonus program.  Thank you! :-)