Topic: No Standalone MIDI Control for Babyface Pro?

I want to verify that I'm understanding the limitations of the BF Pro in standalone mode.

There is no way to control the standalone mixing/routing functions on the BF Pro via MIDI or any other method. It must be done directly on the BF Pro in standalone mode by pushing the buttons. Is this accurate?

Re: No Standalone MIDI Control for Babyface Pro?

TotalMix can be remote controlled via MIDI.

Without Totalmix, no remote control.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Other than some other RME interfaces the BF Pro does not support stand-alone MIDI control.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by ramses 2023-04-07 12:16:15)

MC wrote:

Other than some other RME inerfaces the BF Pro does not support stand-alone MIDI control.

Do I understand correctly?
Babyface, Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS support MIDI in stand-alone operation mode,
but you can't control the internal mixer of the device via MIDI commands?

I didn't find such information in the BBF Pro FS manual, only something that sounds as if MIDI is supported:
Ch 32 (class compliant operation) tells something which sounds, as if MIDI is supported
"Apps that support MIDI and are ready for Core MIDI (available since iOS 4.2) will offer dialogs to select the desired Babyface Pro MIDI input and output."
Is this information maybe missing by accident?

I would add "no MIDI control" into my device comparison Excel under stand-alone specials for BBF, BBF Pro, BBF Pro FS if you confirm -> https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 26#p186126.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by vinark 2023-04-07 12:12:59)

I think think you misunderstood MC. No standalone midi control of the built-in mixer. You can control tmfx with midi, but of course no tmfx is possible without USB connection (iow standalone).
Unless I misunderstood lol

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

6 (edited by ramses 2023-04-07 12:26:20)

What is the exact use case for this?

You have a recording interface in stand-alone mode and connect a computer to the MIDI port?

RME-device---MIDI IN----------PC/Apple/iPAD

On the computer, you have an application that sends MIDI commands to the RME device through MIDI.
Using the same MIDI commands (or maybe only a subset?) that are also valid to remote control TM FX.

And this is supported for all recording interfaces but the BBF, BBF Pro, BBF Pro FS?

Well, then "no MIDI control" means more in detail "no MIDI control of internal mixer".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
MC wrote:

Other than some other RME inerfaces the BF Pro does not support stand-alone MIDI control.

Do I understand correctly?
Babyface, Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS support MIDI in stand-alone operation mode,

The manual does not have a chapter about MIDI stand-alone operation...hint hint...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, slowly I get it lol .. oh dear .. so many possibilities, thanks Matthias.

BTW and meanwhile I re-thought and re-phrased after Vinarks helpful comment:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 93#p200493

I hope I am now on the right track :-)

10 (edited by ramses 2023-04-07 12:30:10)

What is the main use case for this, for playing live and remote controlling certain things for the show with a small laptop?

11 (edited by vinark 2023-04-07 14:14:54)

No if it were possible which it is not,, to use the babyface as a 12 in 12 out mixer, including the 8 adat channels, for whatever you could use a mixer. But not from a computer but a real midi controller with enough knobs.
If I wanted or needed this, I would use an iPad, a Windows tablet or any small (and if needed cheap) laptop with tmfx on it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632