Topic: Public Pre-Release - New USB and MADIface Series drivers

This is a public pre-release of the upcoming USB and MADIface Series drivers. The readme says:

- Completely reworked internal multiclient handling. Reason: the option WinRT MIDI in Cubase 12 caused a crash.

This reworked stuff means routines that have worked for more than 15 years for anyone now had to be replaced with a different scheme. For the user there should be no difference noticable, but due to the heavy changes we can not guarantee that. We appreciate if you find the time to give them a try. Going back to the last release version is easy.

WinRT for MIDI is a new API from Microsoft to add Bluetooth MIDI devices. Yeah, nothing that would affect us directly - unless this option kills our thread handling - which it did.

Steinberg has already confirmed both drivers fix the crash.

Downloads:

USB Series v 1.233.: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … n_1233.zip

MADIface Series v 0.9815: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … _09815.zip

Thanks for testing!

Edit: Some more clarification. The new routines handle mutliclient audio, so MIDI is not relevant here:

- more than one WDM app on the same input and output channels

- more than one ASIO app on the same input and output channels

- mixed WDM/ASIO apps on the same input and output channels

- multiple ASIO apps use the same driver, preferably on separated channels

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Public Pre-Release - New USB and MADIface Series drivers

So far the new driver is working on my system well, and midi devices are working as expected. Windows 11, latest version.

Worked OK today for me. My use case is unusual: for room audio log sweep impulse response in Acourate (Audiovero.de) running on a Windows x64 pc. Also, for computer audio playback

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

I'm using BF Pro. It seems the driver fixed a short silence when a new client starts up.

All good here - W11 latest/Nuendo 12.060. I'll let you know if anything comes up.

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Today my ASIO devices suddenly stopped working, only WDM devices still work. It needs to be fixed. Thanks!

Sorry I was about to teach a lesson, so didn't explain myself clearly. After installing the new driver, I didn't unplug the device. But just now I had to unplug the Babyface Pro FS and plug it back in. After I plugged it back in, the ASIO devices were gone. Now I'm back on the latest public driver from February 6 and it works very well. I could unplug the device and plug it back in and the ASIO devices stays. Hope this helps!

Not much. I can plug/unplug my Babyface Pro FS as much as I want, ASIO will work. As does WDM.

After you plugged it back - Settings dialog opens? TM FX works? Device is found in Device Manager? Did you restart the audio app?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

After you plugged it back - Settings dialog opens? TM FX works? Device is found in Device Manager? Did you restart the audio app?

From what I recall (before I downgraded the driver), it was just the ASIO that was missing. Couldn't find the ASIO device anywhere. All my midi programs were down, and Foobar2000 wasn't able to find the FireFace ASIO driver. As I was needing to use one of my piano plugins ASAP, I downgraded my driver after discovering this issue. TotalMix FX and the FireFace USB Settings dialogues opened normally, the only thing missing on the new driver after plugging the BF was ASIO functionality.

There was a change with ASIO in 1.227, which is the same in 1.233. That sounds more like when you replugged Windows pulled an outdated driver inf from the grave and added its settings. If you now use 1.227 and it works then 1.233 will also work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That sounds more like when you replugged Windows pulled an outdated driver inf from the grave and added its settings.

That might be true. I could give the new driver another chance today. So, just to be on the safe side, how to do a clean install? Thanks!

This may not be due to the new MADIface driver, as I was getting occasional crashes with the previous driver. However, here is what I am experiencing.
I am getting a consistent crash with the new driver. It happens when I switch Optical 2 in to AES/SPDIF from ADAT and at the same time, change clock source from internal to AES. MADIface hangs up and I have to reboot. The Windows log shows
"The program madifaceusb.exe version 0.9.815.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel" However, there is no additional information there.
System: Win 11 x64 22H2 Build 22621.1485

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

Does above affect the MadiFX as well? i’m getting intermittent hickups in 12 which I did not had before?

www.analoguemastering.com

Then just go back to the former driver to verify this is an issue of the new driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Rolled back to the previous driver 0.9808 because I got a message on my ADI-2 Pro FS R (which is connected via AES to my UFX+) saying 'NON-AUDIO AES'.
Having rolled back everything is working as before.

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Thanks, that was unexpected, but will be fixed after the easter holidays.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by ramses 2023-04-08 13:00:17)

This to the test case "same audio channel ASIO/WDM".

Tested on Win10 Pro 22H2 with UFX+ via USB3 (Sonnet card with FL1100 chipset, Win10 default driver).

- Cubase 12.0.52 - 400 Tracks / 800 VST project, music playback through ASIO SW playback AN1/2
  This: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cks-de-en/
  CPU load 34-40%, DRAM 19 GB (alone)
- Cyberpunk 2077 to the same SW playback ch AN1/2 OUT

Total CPU load (Cubase+Game): 85-91%, DRAM 25 of 32 GB used.

Driver 0.9815 settings:
  [x] enable MMCSS for ASIO
  Two WDM devices configured: for AN1/2 and AN9/10 for phones.

At 32 samples buffer-size @single speed, only a few audio glitches during the load phase of the game. This is expected as this creates a lot of I/O and CPU load. On top, the large Cubase project runs in the background, already creating a quite high system load of its own. In total, the system is much stressed. Surprisingly, only a ⁣few⁣/u] glitches.

At 64 samples buffer-size, only one little audio glitch during the load phase of the game. With this still low ASIO buffer setting, already near complete stability, amazing.

Otherwise, once everything has loaded, no audio drops and not a single USB transport error even at lowest ASIO buffersize.

Part of the test, while Cubase is running in the background, in Cyberpunk 2077, a fast race with a car through the town at up to 250 km/h, this creates plenty of moving objects.

These results are really fantastic. Heavily loaded system (Cubase and Cyberpunk 2077) and no audio drops.
Not too bad for a 9y old system. :-)

@RME/MC: excellent work.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

Then just go back to the former driver to verify this is an issue of the new driver.

I went back to v.0.9812 and the problem persists. So, not the new driver. And likely not 0.9812. Perhaps my Windows setup or the program using the RME ASIO connection (Acourate and Acourate Convolver from Audiovero.de)

Testing 0.9815 for playback, I notice that the MADIface Series Settings dialogue must be open in order to track USB errors. There are no errors. However, the error monitoring feature requires the MADIface window to be open. Monitoring resets to 0 minutes when the window is closed. (there is no minimize feature)

System; Windows 11 22H2 Build 22621.1555. Streamer > USB > Topping D10s bridge mode > UFX+ Optical 2 > USB 3 > Win 11 PC with Sonnet Allegro Pro Type A USB 3.2 PCIe card (ASMedia driver) > Acourate Convolver > AN3/4 and AN5/6 output

Version 0.9816 has been released with a fix for the UFX+ AES output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Download link?

22 (edited by waedi 2023-04-27 07:18:54)

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … _09816.zip

This is just a copy of the link from the original post with the number at the end changed from 5 to 6.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Labdoc wrote:
MC wrote:

Download link?

For the future, as it is unlikely that RME will update driver download links for legacy products immediately:

Simply look at the UFX III's download link, the devices are using the same driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

Thank you Matthias! Working perfectly.

+1

MC wrote:

This version solved dropouts when playing music through the AES/SPDIF Optical 2 input to the UFX+.

Thank you.