Topic: [Solved] HDSPe MADI FX driver install problem

I just installed a HDSPE MADI Fx card in my Mac Pro 2019 (latest OS). I am trying to install drivers but i the instructions say to first update the firmware.  When I run the firware update program (click on the icon), the updater doesnt appear (no dialog box).  Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

Re: [Solved] HDSPe MADI FX driver install problem

You are trying to use DriverKit driver 1.08? From the readme:

Attention: The DriverKit driver recognizes the audio interface only if it has the new DriverKit firmware. Therefore:

- Update the firmware first. This can be done under Windows, an older macOS with the previous kernel drivers, but also macOS12/13 with the kernel drivers installed. A firmware update under macOS12/13 with the DK driver, from Legacy to DK, is NOT possible!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,
I previously had a HDSPe MADI card in this computer and it worked fine.  Would you please explain exactly what I need to do to get the problem with upgrading the firmware on my new MADI Fx card corrected.  Much thanks.

4 (edited by Hendrkf 2023-04-09 18:37:25)

Matthias,
I am really confused.  I removed all traces of the previous RME software that worked with my old HDSPe MADI card.  However, I can't even get the HDSPe Flash Updater program for the HDSPe MADI FX to even run.

I do not understand what this means: " Update the firmware first. This can be done under Windows, an older macOS with the previous kernel drivers, but also macOS12/13 with the kernel drivers installed. A firmware update under macOS12/13 with the DK driver, from Legacy to DK, is NOT possible!"

Does the HDSPe MADI FX card work with Mac OS 13.3? 
Thanks

With DK drivers (v1.08): Only when previously flashed to the DK firmware version. That's called a catch 22 situation.

With Kernel drivers (v 1.32): can be used, but requires setting the system to reduced security (see driver readme). If you install 1.32 you can even update the firmware to DK version 92/216 and then start using the mew DiverKit driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Hendrkf 2023-04-10 09:47:29)

Matthias,
Does this reduced security install of Kernel drivers v 1.32 apply to Mac Pro 2019 Intel computers? (the 1.32 notes seem to say the security change applies only to M1 chipsets.  I have a Mac Pro 2019 Intel computer running Mac OS 13.3.1.
Keith

7 (edited by Hendrkf 2023-04-10 09:50:33)

Just so I am clear. It is NOT possible to use the DK drivers 1.08, because my new card had not been flashed to a previous DK firmware version. (catch 22 for new purchasers of the MADI Fx card). 

The proposed fix is:
(1) Install HDSPe DK v1.32 (Dec 20, 2022)
(2) Run HDSPe FX Flash Update Tool (Dec 13,2022) and update firmware to DK version 92/216
(3) Install HDSPe DK 1.08 (Mar 23, 2023)

I installed DK version 1.32 and ran Flash Update tool.  Driver 1.32 and firmware version v89 were able to see my MADI FX card.  When I then installed DK 1.08, it was not able to load.  I then reinstalled DK 1.32 and it seems to work.

I do NOT think DK version 1.08 will run on a 2019 Mac Pro Intel OS 13.3.

I finally got v1.08 working.  Turns out the I didn't power down after the firmware update, just did a restart, so firmware didn't update.  Once I did the firware update correctly, I got v1.08 to work.  Thanks for your help.