1 (edited by afxz 2023-04-12 05:27:40)

Topic: Babyface with analogue valve mixer?

Hello RME folks,

I've recently been looking at purchasing a nice valve rotary mixer for my DJ setup, to breathe some new life into the hobby. This may be a very simple and silly question, but I've been looking at different options and signal paths for so long that I'm starting to lose my grip on reality with all this A/D and D/A conversion ... it's possible I'm now 'missing the wood for the trees'!

My RME Babyface FS Pro is currently the USB interface for my main production/music listening computer. Its master outputs are connected to my Adam studio monitors. The crux of my issue is that I want to be able to use the speakers for both my DAC setup and the analogue mixer/vinyl setup. So obviously I want to run everything through the Babyface's balanced XLR outputs (the Adams have an extra unbalanced input but I don't want to go down that route if possible, purely because the cable lengths involved are quite long and there's a lot of potential interference from my other hardware).

Question: If I run the main mixer outputs into the main mic phono inputs of the Babyface FS Pro, will there be any conversion that affects the sound of the mixer? Will it be noticeably worse or attenuated in any way? The mixer I am looking at buying uses valve technology, so I guess connecting its outputs directly to my speakers will retain the 'warm' sound and added harmonics. But what if I pass it through the RME Babyface?

I previously did this with a Xone 92 mixer, which is still 'analogue' but obviously not such of an investment for the high-class RIAA phono pre-amps. The new mixer is a considerable investment in this regard so I'm just wondering if the RME might affect this in any way. Might it be time for me to divorce my production/DJ combo?

Thanks!

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-04-12 17:57:34)

Re: Babyface with analogue valve mixer?

Hi!
Yes, there is no 'analog thru' on the Babyface pro FS, so the signal would go thru AD/DA. With the high quality converters, this shouldn't be really noticeable. Anyway you could set it up the other way round: Babyface outputs to the mixer and from there to the speakers. Or aren't there enough channels available on the mixer? There are also some small mixers (Mackie 402) or combiner devices (Radial eng. Mix2:1) on the market. This would be the most simple solution. Of course it would be necessary to choose a good quality unit to leave the audio signals free from noise or distortion.
EDIT: just saw the Radial Mix2:1 is a mono unit, but you can find similar units in stereo for sure.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks for the fast and helpful suggestions!

It did occur to me I could just run the XLR outs of the Babyface into the mixer and do it the other way. However, that would also have the consequence of putting all of my DAW audio through a valve tube and thus colouring the sound. I guess I really am trying to have my cake and eat it with a combined DJ'ing and producing space using one interface/pair of speakers smile.

I could upgrade to a 4-channel version of the mixer to have enough standalone channels (I wouldn't in fact normally be using any of the line inputs, in any case) but it would add a hefty amount to the price tag, especially if the AD/DA conversion in the proposed way isn't affecting the sound too much.

I'll guess I'll have to give it some A/B tests!

If you want to preserve the pure sound quality of both then I think you need to do your last option and not use them together.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

5 (edited by afxz 2023-04-14 05:00:13)

Yes, thank you. I suppose I was just interested, on a technical level, if the harmonics from a valve/tube amplifier would always be lost at any AD/DA stage after them in the chain. Or whether somehow the 'character' and noise of the valve output would be retained in the final audio.

Isn't this effectively the same sort of question as asking about the analogue 'warmth' of synthesizers, drum machines, etc, when they're tracked into a digital workstation? I feel like I'm possibly overthinking this stuff!