Topic: Firmware features suggestions

-Menu navigation with remote control

-Option to let users choose between digital source and clock source display on the right of the status bar, in current setup rme is showing clock source in the status bar which is fine if it's receiving a signal, however if there is no signal present it says "INT", it also says "INT" if usb is selected source which makes it impossible to tell what is current digital input.

2 (edited by Babaluma 2023-03-10 14:43:20)

Re: Firmware features suggestions

For the ADI-2/4 Pro SE, after three months of daily use, I'd like to see:

1) The ability to set a reference level to "0.0 dBr" on the display. It would make more sense to think in terms of "dB louder or quieter compared to the reference level". How it is now (in my set up at least), my ref level ends up being at -12.0dB. It would be great to have a Settings option to set this to 0dBr (the "r" designating a reference level, not the actual level). This would be very helpful for us mastering folk who work at a fixed/calibrated reference levels in their room.

2) The ability to set the "RIAA Mode" input sensitivity with the remote. It's a pain now, as most things are fine at +26dB, but you get that odd hot 12" or very quiet 33 rpm LP that need it adjusting. Would be nice to do this from the sweet spot on the sofa rather than have to cross the room every time. Just adding the functionality/ability, for Remap Keys or third party remotes, would be great. It's currently not listed as an option in the IR Command document.

I'll add any more to this thread if I think of them.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-10 14:17:07)

Babaluma wrote:

...you get that odd hot 12" or very quiet 33 rpm LP that need it adjusting...

Why don‘t you just adjust the Volume?

4 (edited by Babaluma 2023-03-10 14:46:17)

KaiS wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

Because I'm an audio engineer and understand gain staging. wink Of course I can adjust the volume up if needed, on a quiet pressing, but that's no help when you are at +26dB and the hot 12" you are playing is constantly clipping the ADC input... Ergo, it would ne nice to adjust the input sensitivity from the sweet spot with the remote. Even with quiet pressings, the whole point of having adjustable input sensitivity is maintaining the best S/N ratio, so even in that case it would be preferable to adjust the input sensitivity rather than the volume. I get the fact that with the quality of the RME conversion it might not be an audible difference when boosting a quiet cut, but there is certainly a need to be able to stop the input clipping, which they do provide with the different sensitivity settings. All I'm asking is that those be available from the remote, which I don't think is a big ask.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-10 15:41:53)

Babaluma wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

Because I'm an audio engineer and understand gain staging. wink ...
...the whole point of having adjustable input sensitivity is maintaining the best S/N ratio, so even in that case it would be preferable to adjust the input sensitivity rather than the volume.

There‘s no (analog) gain staging or analog input sensitivity option in this case.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE‘s phono / RIAA preamp‘s gain setting is in the digital domain, based on a constant analog reference level of -1 dBu (block diagram manual page 110, read the denote at the bottom).

Internally, digital dynamics is based on 42 bit calculations, no need for gain staging here too.

You could adjust the RIAA for the hottest vinyls and then use volume control for the listening level.

Still, it wouldn‘t hurt to have RIAA Reference Levels in the remap key department.
There‘s already an option for steering analog input‘s gain through USB BTW.

KaiS wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
KaiS wrote:

...the whole point of having adjustable input sensitivity is maintaining the best S/N ratio, so even in that case it would be preferable to adjust the input sensitivity rather than the volume.

There‘s no (analog) gain staging or analog input sensitivity option in this case.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE‘s phono / RIAA preamp‘s gain setting is in the digital domain, based on a constant analog reference level of -1 dBu (block diagram manual page 110, read the denote at the bottom).

Internally, digital dynamics is based on 42 bit calculations, no need for gain staging here too.

You could adjust the RIAA for the hottest vinyls and then use volume control for the listening level.

Still, it wouldn‘t hurt to have RIAA Reference Levels in the remap key department.

That's good to know, but would be a nightmare having to constantly change massive volume differences between vinyl and digital sources every time you change (and I do a lot) if you had the vinyl input always set to work with the loudest vinyl. Yeah, hopefully it can be added to the list of things the remote can control.

3) Ability to set the Dim amount. I like a 6dB or 12dB Dim, 20dB is way too much for me. Surely would be easy to add a menu option for setting the Dim amount?

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-12 00:20:50)

Babaluma wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

That's good to know, but would be a nightmare having to constantly change massive volume differences between vinyl and digital sources every time you change (and I do a lot) if you had the vinyl input always set to work with the loudest vinyl. Yeah, hopefully it can be added to the list of things the remote can control.

If you‘re not about recording the phono signal, you could use Analog Input‘s 6 dB Trim Gain Left / Right’s boost to match the phone input with the digital sources.

As ADI-2 has 24 dB internal headroom, no internal clipping / distortion would occur even if ADI-2‘s internal level exceeds 0 dBFS.

Output Volume, of course, must be dialed down, to not exceed +2.5 dB (the analog output’s clipping limit) or 0 dB (for digital outputs).

You can NOT do the same with RIAA Mode‘s gain setting.
I just checked - it‘s not covered by the internal headroom.
The RIAA thing probably is an ADC chip‘s functionality, handled inside it.
The manual page 110‘s block diagram shows it that way.

Yeah that would be impossible as I'm already using the Trim Gain for my Mic Pre/DI input. It all sounds like way more hassle when a simple implementation of making the RIAA input sensitivity available from the remote would fix everything. Hence why I made the feature request. Look, of course there are workarounds for pretty much everything with such a complex audio box of tricks, but sometimes a simple feature request is just a simple feature request.

10 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-12 17:39:24)

Babaluma wrote:

... Look, of course there are workarounds for pretty much everything with such a complex audio box of tricks, but sometimes a simple feature request is just a simple feature request.

Yes, of course.
But meanwhile, to improve usability, workarounds are the only option.

In your case maybe Setups are the best solution, e.g. one for each input.
A “Setup” contains the complete ADI-2’s configuration with the choice to include or exclude Volume dial setting.

Multiple Setups can be recalled sequentially with a (double press on a) single button.

Look here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 94#p193294

You can store and use a “Setup” for each input.
If you enable “ Load Volume with Setup” you get what you want.
Read manual page 29 (DAC) or 30 (Pro).

Loading certain “Setups” can be assigned to a button push.
Read manual page 26 (DAC) or 28 (Pro).

Watch out:
The  “Remap key” configuration is part of each individual “Setup” and needs to be set for each individual “Setup”.
This can be used to toggle through 2 or more Setups with one single button.

Works like this:
As the button assignment isn’t global, but part of each “Setup”, you can even have different assignments to the same button in each Setup - a nice feature that we can use for the following:

Choose ONE single button that you usually don’t need.
In Setup 1 assign: “load Setup 2”
In Setup 2 assign: “load Setup 1”
Now this single button toggles between both Setups.

This method can be extended to load even more Setups if needed, like:
In Setup 1 assign: “load Setup 2”
In Setup 2 assign: “load Setup 3”
In Setup 3 assign: “load Setup 4”
In Setup 4 assign: “load Setup 1”
Now the single button circles through Setup 1-4, clever, isn’t it?!

As for loading Setups ADI-2 asks for confirmation, a double-push is needed to execute the load.
Holding the button more than 1s, the button‘s original function is available.
Therefore I typically assign the SETUP button to load Setups – sic!

Oh and if I could add one more suggestion, RGB mixer for custom meter colors, it's purely aesthetic but it would be nice to have.

Babaluma wrote:

2) The ability to set the "RIAA Mode" input sensitivity with the remote.

I am wondering how to do that. We have 5 gain steps, so 5 programmable remote buttons would be in use. That does not make much sense to me, one always needs some other functions there as well. What about a 'RIAA Gain Up' and 'RIAA Gain Down' button?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by KaiS 2023-03-24 16:08:15)

MC wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

...What about a 'RIAA Gain Up' and 'RIAA Gain Down' button?

The better solution IMO.
Avoids accidental large volume jumps by hitting the wrong button.

While we’re in it:
An option to switch off the RIAA EQ while keeping the gain steps, could make a good mic-pre for tube-condensor-mic’s and others with external PSU.

Modern LDC mic’s, like the ones from Neumann, have quite high sensitivity in the range of 30 mV / Pa and more, sufficient to drive ADI-2/4 Pro’s input.

Most are even not impedance-critical, and for those which are, a single resistor could serve for a match.

MC wrote:
Babaluma wrote:

I am wondering how to do that. We have 5 gain steps, so 5 programmable remote buttons would be in use. That does not make much sense to me, one always needs some other functions there as well. What about a 'RIAA Gain Up' and 'RIAA Gain Down' button?

That would be fabulous, with an "Off" setting too! I'm often switching between a mic preamp output and my turntable's output, to the 2/4's analogue input, so having Off and Up/Down RIAA Gain settings would be great! Thank you for considering it.

Babaluma wrote:

3) Ability to set the Dim amount. I like a 6dB or 12dB Dim, 20dB is way too much for me. Surely would be easy to add a menu option for setting the Dim amount?

I actually created an account to ask for exactly that. It's the only thing I miss from my previous interface and would be a great addition in my opinion.