Topic: MIDI input control for Mac Logic X (MIDI remote, ARC USB etc)

The problem: Logic automatically reads data from all MIDI input ports, and also reacts on that data. Naturally this can cause unwanted behavior if remote controls and other stuff, not intended for Logic, are used with the computer Logic is running on. This might be TotalMix FX as well as the ARC USB or any other MIDI sending device.

For whatever reason Logic does not include a simple selection dialog, which of the system's MIDI inputs should be active for Logic. Instead ports have to be manually 'excluded' from Logic, which is anything but a simple procedure. There exist several discussions in the web, here is one that we found useful:

http://www.logic-users-group.com/forums … -pro.9436/

We followed the steps described like this:

- In the Preferences of Logic X under Advanced Tools set the checkmark for MIDI

- Thereafter one can choose 'Click & Ports'  from 'Window, Open MIDI Environment'

- Under 'New' create a 'Monitor'

- Drag that one down and connect it with the port that should be excluded for Logic (the port where remote info etc is coming in). See screenshot (magnifier/glasses needed to perform the connection).

http://www.rme-audio.de/img/SettingsLogicMidi.png

Update: there is a new firmware for the ARC USB available that changes the ARC USB Midi communication to SysEx. That solves the Logic problem. See here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 59#p135359

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: MIDI input control for Mac Logic X (MIDI remote, ARC USB etc)

Matthias,

Nice!

Do you have/know a solution for Digital Performer?

Best,
Stefan.

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.

Same question. Any solution for Digital Performer. I've been searching Motu documents to no avail.

Stefan,
Not sure if you found a solution yet. But i found with the help of a FB DP group, to just not allow CC0 through.
In Setup / Input Filter... /  in Controllers, choose 'All except..." and put in CC 0. Since i never use CC0 it seems to be a solution for me at least at this point.

Best,
Kevin

Hi all we still have this issue which is unsolved - I believe it is causing a work secondary issue with logic causing our USB keyboard to drop out

I have tried the screen shot filter but can seem to get it to work. partidicualy I notice the RME ARC sends on multiple channels.

Running LPX 10.4.1 on (10.12.6 )

Video of issue no 1 here: https://vimeo.com/278950067

Note if I click by all control surfaces it stops. However weirdly if I do this in certain projects this choice is not saved as a preference. The issue before we rebuilt our computer recently (Mac Pro dustbin rebuilt because of the issue 2 below) seemed to go once you initially select bypass control surfaces and it was remembered in preferences but now it seems to keep occurring.

We use an RME ARC USB controller to control Totalmix master outs and workflow snapshots.

Issue 2: We are also suffering with usb keyboard drop outs which I suspect is related to this same issue. Our USB keyboard works fine and then quite quickly within a session it drops out of logic (but when this happens you can leave logic open and goto OSX Audio/Midi and test connection and the keyboard is still there and works with the test tone) but you need to close logic to get a reconnection. this doesn't happen in any other daw, is not the keyboard or usb or hub. very much likely related to this over all issue of two devices fighting against each other.

Since 10.4 upgrade logic picks up the midi signal from the RME. Using midi monitor the arc sends midi signals every millisecond as the volume encoder is endless so its always sending signal. The RME seems to send various midi channel signals ranging from 1-4 upward. I have seem this issue discussed with LPX the RME ARC on the RME forum with a workaround discussed but I can't solve it.

I have tried applying a monitor in the clicks and Ports but it doesn't work for me. I can see that if I play a usb keyboard that the keyboard and are are received on the same channel.

I have the possibility of changing the usb keyboard midi in channel etc if I can block something. My concern is that the RME ARC USB seems to be sending on multiple channels.

HELP this is driving me mad (yes we can stop it by bypassing control surfaces but this should not be happening.

Update I have had a breakthrough

we have an issue of our m audio or a novation controller keyboard losing connection within logic continuously, but if you leave logic open and test if the midi keyboard is connected still via the OS X audio and midi app it is still connected - the issue occurs when using logic not Ableton. We have removed the arc usb from the system for two days and have not had a single drop out

its the RME arc causing our problem

Thanks for posting this workaround. I don't have an ARC yet. Does it conflict if connected directly to the interface?

ufx ii / bfp

No. In that case there is no MIDI communication with TM FX, but direct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by blackmatchstick 2019-04-01 11:02:35)

Hello All,
i too had this ARC USB Issue here how i fixed it.
as it an issue with Logic Pro X that it accepts all midi data from what ever its connect to it via usb.
there is nothing to do with ARC USB.

I went ahead with the solution which was mentioned by MC, but it was not working Logic Pro X still was accepting random data from the ARC.

Here is a fix:
1. Open LPX > Window > Open Midi Environment
2. From the layer menu select Click & Ports.
3. In the Physical Input section disconnect the routing from "SUM" to Input Notes using an eraser tool,.
4. Reconnect the routing either using pencil tool or the regular pointer tool, but this time connect just below the arrow next to sum, to you Input Notes.
5. Tadaa...You are Sorted.
6. Do this with a blank LPX project and then save it as a template for your future projects.

PS: Sum is the all together information coming from all you midi devices physically connected.
to avoid loosing inputs from the other controllers (if you have any) you will have to re-route each device to their desired locations.

Thank You.

https://pasteboard.co/I86ntJ0.png

Added link to ARC USB firmware update to first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC
Thanks for guiding me for the firmware update, i went ahead and did the update.
Now i am on version 7, the issue has been resolved, however,

1. The conflict is gone, but LPX's Midi Activity is now a pain to look at, it keeps on flashing from ( No In to X 1 0 0).
2. Do i have to select the Midi SysEx SE on the total mix or not, cuz even after not selecting it works.

Thanks

2. It's automatic.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hey everyone

don't know if this is posted elsewhere in the various threads about Logic and ARC conflicts, but hopefully it can help someone.

I also had issues where the ARC was causing midi to stop working in Logic (10.4.3).  my controller (behringer BCR2000) and Komplete Kontrol S88 were dropping out, after 30 mins or so midi wouldn't work any more, and every time when I removed the ARC the problem went away.

I tried the environment filter fix posted here to filter out the stream of midi data the arc was generating, but it didn't help.  still dropped out after a while.

I lived with it for ages as I never saw any other options posted here, but the other day while doing something else I came across the INPUTS page in the MIDI preferences

(LOGIC-PREFERENCES-MIDI-inputs) and I deactivated the ARC as an input there. 

as of today the problem seems to have disappeared. 

very happy now, for me no need for the environment thing.

hope this helps someone.  I'll report back if the problem comes back.

cheers

simon

just to add, I never saw that MIDI input window before, maybe its a new addition to Logic since this problem first surfaced? 

I see people saying above there is no easy way to set midi inputs in logic, but this is exactly that...

I have the interesting effect, that with my ARC connected and Logic in use, my Nektar Pacer will control the DAW like expected, but the control lights are not working. If I disconnect the ARC, it will work again.
I am using Totalmix as my switching system for my guitar amps and effects - great solution! But it is really $§%"$% that I can't see the control lights on the foot controller anymore....

I don't think it is an RME issue, but probably it is something other users want to know.

Change the ARC USB to use SysEx commands (Checkmark in Settings).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Thank you very much. That solves the problem.

For other users: I bought my ARC this week, but it has the firmware version 6.0. It is important to do the update to 7.0, otherwise ARC won't work with SysEx. Even if you tinker around for two hours - like me :-)

18 (edited by Manuel 2023-04-14 20:47:16)

MC wrote:

Maybe that checkbox is the answer to what I'm trying to do (read next paragraph), but I've searched through the ARC user manual, the UCX II user manual and Google, and couldn't find much. Any info you could add would be useful, thanks!

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to do: I need a controller to control both Totalmix FX and Genelec GLM, simultaneously, on Windows (please ignore the fact that the MIDI driver is single-client on Windows, as I can get around that using third-party software). However, the GLM software only understands MIDI CC, not SysEx, and from what I'm reading it seems ARC only transmits SysEx now? I'm wondering if unchecking the "SysEx only" box would enable CC, if so, it would be buying an ARC because it's just perfect for my needs in terms of size, aesthetics, button count and layout.

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400

There is no (zero none etc) support for anything outside the application the ARC USB is designed for - TM FX control. So if you buy it to control anything else you are on your own...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is no (zero none etc) support for anything outside the application the ARC USB is designed for - TM FX control. So if you buy it to control anything else you are on your own...

Absolutely, there is no reason for RME to support anything else except Totalmix FX. I just wanted to know if it sends CC or not to save time, instead of buying an ARC, inspecting its MIDI output and then sending it back to Thomman if it doesn't transmit CC.

AFAIK it does not send CC but either standard MIDI messages or SysEx.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

AFAIK it does not send CC but either standard MIDI messages or SysEx.

Thanks MC, in that case it sounds like I need something else.