Topic: Are there any Compression plugins for the Babyface Pro FS?

I know by default there aren't any "Dynamic" plugins for the Babyface Pro FS, only Reverb, EQ and Delay. But I saw that there is a free download for plugins for owners of it after July 2020. Is there a way to monitor with a compression plugin combined with the RME Babyface Pro FS before it goes into the DAW?

Re: Are there any Compression plugins for the Babyface Pro FS?

Simple answer is no. Any plugins you are entitled to are DAW plugins.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

3 (edited by oli77sch 2023-04-15 22:01:59)

mkok wrote:

Yes, and as additional information: the dynamic tool (compressor) on other RME interfaces runs on the unit itself (internal DSP). It’s the only way it can work, because it has to be (near) zero latency. The DSP chip in the Babyface isn’t powerful enough. I can see one solution which should work: a hardware digital effect unit with a compressor and (optical) spdif i/o ports. The routing would be:
Mic on Babyface analog input 1 or 2, in Totalmix directly routed to SPDIF out, spdif to hardware processor and back to spdif input on Babyface. You would direct monitor the SPDIF input instead of the analog input then. Because there wouldn’t be any further da/ad conversion, the latency of the signal would be increased only marginally, probably almost not noticable.
With an analog compressor there would be more added latency and also it would be more difficult to set it up because there are not sp many analog i/o on the Babyface.
EDIT: as I just realised, it’s not that easy to find such a hardware effect unit these days. Maybe on the used market something like Lexicon MX200 or TC Electronic M300. The latter I have, it’s a very useful unit with different reverbs, delays and also a compressor. Beside analog i/o it only has coax SPDIF ports, so a two way optical to coax converter would be needed too…

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:
mkok wrote:

Yes, and as additional information: the dynamic tool (compressor) on other RME interfaces runs on the unit itself (internal DSP). It’s the only way it can work, because it has to be (near) zero latency. The DSP chip in the Babyface isn’t powerful enough. I can see one solution which should work: a hardware digital effect unit with a compressor and (optical) spdif i/o ports. The routing would be:
Mic on Babyface analog input 1 or 2, in Totalmix directly routed to SPDIF out, spdif to hardware processor and back to spdif input on Babyface. You would direct monitor the SPDIF input instead of the analog input then. Because there wouldn’t be any further da/ad conversion, the latency of the signal would be increased only marginally, probably almost not noticable.
With an analog compressor there would be more added latency and also it would be more difficult to set it up because there are not sp many analog i/o on the Babyface.
EDIT: as I just realised, it’s not that easy to find such a hardware effect unit these days. Maybe on the used market something like Lexicon MX200 or TC Electronic M300. The latter I have, it’s a very useful unit with different reverbs, delays and also a compressor. Beside analog i/o it only has coax SPDIF ports, so a two way optical to coax converter would be needed too…

Thanks for all this info.

Not exactly sure what you try to achieve. But you could use a VST-host alone, before or besides a DAW. You could then monitor the signal going through the VST-host where you apply compression or whatever you desire. I myself use the free version of Cantabile for simple VST-hosting tasks.