1 (edited by DAZZER 2023-04-20 20:56:43)

Topic: RME Digiface USB vs. MacBook Pro optical out.

Hi!
Does it make any sense to use RME Digiface USB only for playback 1 stereo channel through the ADI-2 FS in terms of quality or optical output of the MacBook Pro will deliver the same?
Thanks!

Re: RME Digiface USB vs. MacBook Pro optical out.

Strange comparison. Mac alone won't give you TotalMix FX.
Otherwise .. digital transport is digital transport .. lossless.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi
In both cases it's digital audio over an optical cable using the SPDIF format - no need for the Digiface USB I would say.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Theoretically, I think so too. But in practice, who knows. Haven't checked yet.

ramses wrote:

In this case no need in Totalmix and thats why ADI-2DAC FS has no Totalmix at all.
About digital tranports: I heard the sound difference between Lynx AES16-SRC on Win10 (ASIO playback) and RME HDSP9632 with the same player on Linux for example.

DAZZER wrote:

About digital tranports: I heard the sound difference between Lynx AES16-SRC on Win10 (ASIO playback) and RME HDSP9632 with the same player on Linux for example.

When you have listened to it, there was a conversion from digital to analog. The difference happened there, not on the digital transport! There is an easy way to test it (and I actually have done it yet): play a sound file from your computer over the SPDIF output, plug the cable directly back to the SPDIF input and record it directly. Then place the original and the new recorded file in a DAW or multitrack audio software exactly (sample accurate!) on top of each other and swap the phase on one of it. If there is nothing to hear, they have cancelled out totally. This only can happen, when they are 100% the same.

DAZZER wrote:
ramses wrote:

1- In this case no need in Totalmix and thats why ADI-2DAC FS has no Totalmix at all.

to 1 - not sure how you mean that. To be clear on this, the ADI-2 FS is a converter and no recording interface.
Only recording interfaces have a driver and TotalMix FX.

to 2 - comparison properly conducted? At absolutely the same volume level? Blind test to exclude any bias? With how much time difference, when you do A/B?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Another question: why not simply connecting the ADI over USB to the Macbook?

9 (edited by DAZZER 2023-04-22 06:09:24)

oli77sch wrote:

ADI-2 FS doesn't have USB.

ramses wrote:
DAZZER wrote:
ramses wrote:

1- In this case no need in Totalmix and thats why ADI-2DAC FS has no Totalmix at all.

to 1 - not sure how you mean that. To be clear on this, the ADI-2 FS is a converter and no recording interface.
Only recording interfaces have a driver and TotalMix FX.

to 2 - comparison properly conducted? At absolutely the same volume level? Blind test to exclude any bias? With how much time difference, when you do A/B?

1. I meant for playback one channel from the optical output of a macbook, Digiface USB + Totamix is not needed, like it is not needed with ADI-2 DAC. But if the Digiface USB can deliver somewhat beeter quality (less jitter or whatever) I can keep it.
2. 2 PC with the same audio player, the same digital AES cables 1.5 m long and Neutrik XLR goes to 2 AES inputs of one DAC, which has input selector. The same audio file started playing simultaneously on two computers and then I switched DACs inputs on the fly. The only difference was the OS and sound (digital) interfaces.

DAZZER wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

ADI-2 FS doesn't have USB.
[

Sorry, my bad, but in some replies you named your device 'ADI-2 DAC FS'. This is the name of another model which indeed has USB.

Going back to the initial question: for my part I’m sure there wouldn’t be any difference in sound between the Digiface and the built in optical port on the Macbook.
The ADI-2 FS has the 'steady clock FS' technology which suppresses jitter.