Topic: Bad signal out 3 after routing

Hi. I have a problem with my RME Fireface 800. After routing the signal and assigning the audio tracks to separate outputs on the DireFace 800 (1-8),
output no. 3 in the Rme Fireface 800 does not play with full bandwidth and is definitely quieter,
almost by half. There is a lack of dynamics and low frequencies. There is an impression as if the sound played with medium tones. The remaining outputs 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 play properly, with a full belt and much louder.

Re: Bad signal out 3 after routing

Can be a symptom of internal power supply is dying

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by oli77sch 2023-04-22 11:35:52)

Some questions:
- does the level meter of this hardware output in TotalMix show the correct signal?
- how do you listen to the outputs / where are they connected to? Could the issue also be caused by a bad cable? EDIT: or caused on the receiving unit, whatever that is?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Mix total shows the correct signal. Neutrick based cable. I listen to the sound on the Mackie 24-8 table.

zygmunt.golonka wrote:

Mix total shows the correct signal.

So it’s a hardware issue

Neutrick based cable. I listen to the sound on the Mackie 24-8 table.

Have you tried a different cable and / or another input on the Mackie? Or also another sound source on the particular channel on the Mackie. And - maybe a stupid question - is the cable plugged properly? I would double check such simple things before looking further to avoid unnecessary effort.
Btw: do you use balanced or unbalanced cables?

Yes - I tried various inputs into Mackie. I use balanced cables. All entrances in Mackie are operational. Today I also measured the FireFace 800 outputs with a 1khz 0db signal. I did this and swapped inputs and outputs in different configurations. Each time out 3 RME gave a low signal. Output 4 in RME is also low, but still quite correct.

A measurement is possible with a cable loopback.
Record into the DAW what is coming back from each hardware output.
It can be a helpful documentation for the repair.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

zygmunt.golonka wrote:

Yes - I tried various inputs into Mackie. I use balanced cables. All entrances in Mackie are operational. Today I also measured the FireFace 800 outputs with a 1khz 0db signal. I did this and swapped inputs and outputs in different configurations. Each time out 3 RME gave a low signal. Output 4 in RME is also low, but still quite correct.

So it’s really a hardware failure on the Fireface 800 as it seems. Good idea from waedi to make some recordings for documentation. You also can use Digicheck for further measurements.

I suspect that the cause of the low and incorrect signals on outputs 3 and 4 is the partial failure of the electrolytic capacitors. It would be good to have an RME fireface 800 electronic diagram. Maybe someone has it?

Sorry, there are no schematics.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME