Topic: Any plans to support I2S?

@MC
Recently I've upgraded my HiFi system with a CD/streaming transport with SPDIF, AES, Opt and I2S outputs.
The transport has an integrated upsampler supporting PCM up to 384 kHz and DSD128 via I2S.

By using DSD upsampling the CD transport can also play SACDs via I2S.
The network streamer can play music in DSD64 format using any of the outputs but DSD128, 256 only via I2S.
In order to take full advantage of the digital sources I either need to replace my ADI-2 Pro or add an I2S DAC to my system.
Of course, there are other use cases that would benefit from an I2S input.

Since this requirement has already been brought up by several people in this forum I was wondering if there are any plans to support I2S in a future ADI-2 device?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Re: Any plans to support I2S?

Sorry, which CD transort do you use and has this functionality. I am curious. And agree, if would be nice, if RME would incorporate this feature.

There will never be an RME device with I2S input. Guaranteed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by ramses 2023-04-13 15:28:11)

Does this make sense at all, I2S is rather exotic. Whether you transfer lossless over one or the other type of digital transport makes no difference in sound or quality. It's digital, it’s lossless, what do you want more?

I could imagine that devices that have an I2S bus certainly also support other more established interfaces.

I2S would in my opinion, only unnecessarily increase the cost of the devices and make the routing even more extensive / complex.

What I am also missing is a motivation or perspective, why one should do this at all. What will really be better as a result?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

Is there a specific reason for this?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-13 17:32:25)

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:
MC wrote:

Is there a specific reason for this?

I²S is intended for internal communication between chips within a single device.

I‘m not even sure a true standard interface (connector, signal levels, cable impedance etc.) for outside connection exists.
Mis-using a special wired HDMI-cable seems to have become more common, but that’s more a convention than a true standard, and pinout varies between manufacturers.

I don‘t see a practical technical advantage of I²S over the established AES / SPDIF / ADAT / MADI digital audio formats.
In contrary, the separate clock lines makes I²S prone to all kinds of errors with distant interfacing.

ramses wrote:

Does this make sense at all, I2S is rather exotic. Whether you transfer lossless over one or the other type of digital transport makes no difference in sound or quality. It's digital, it’s lossless, what do you want more?

What I am also missing is a motivation or perspective, why one should do this at all. What will really be better as a result?

Obviously, you didn't read my initial post.
I2S would allow me to play SACDs and hires DSD files from my NAS drive which I can't do with the ADI-2 Pro.

Isn't that a good motivation or perspective for I2S support?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

KaiS wrote:

I‘m not even sure a true standard interface (connector, signal levels, cable impedance etc.) for outside connection exists.
Mis-using a special wired HDMI-cable seems to have become more common, but that’s more a convention than a true standard, and pinout varies between manufacturers.

I don‘t see a practical technical advantage of I²S over the established AES / SPDIF / ADAT / MADI digital audio formats.
In contrary, the separate clock lines makes I²S prone to all kinds of errors with distant interfacing.

It's true that I2S is not a standard in HiFi.
However, the HDMI connector is the one that is usually supported along with a standard HDMI cable.
Companies like Denafrips and others support typically 8 different pin configurations that you can toggle through.

Unlike S/PDIF, for example, audio data and clock information are transmitted separately at the I2S output. A separate line is available for the master clock. This eliminates the coding/decoding effort and the reconstruction of the sampling frequency, which could result in lower jitter.

The HDMI connector and cables provide excellent electrical properties for the I2S connection. The HDMI interface for the 4k/8k video transmission are the best proof of that.

For the "practical advantage" see my initial post.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

9 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-14 05:13:17)

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

Companies like Denafrips and others support typically 8 different pin configurations that you can toggle through.

That’s one of the culprits - I just imagine, in the studio with clients around me, having to switch though 8 configurations for each single connection to make it work - unthinkable!

And then there are the non-HDMI I²S variants ...

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

Unlike S/PDIF, for example, audio data and clock information are transmitted separately at the I2S output. A separate line is available for the master clock. This eliminates the coding/decoding effort and the reconstruction of the sampling frequency, which could result in lower jitter.

A wide-spread misconception, based on antique principles from the early days of digital audio.

No matter what you do, word clock transmitted through a line is highly jittery, compared to such sophisticated solutions like Steadyclock FS.
An up-to-date converter has to re-clock internally, being immune to outside jitter these days, to achieve the high-quality of today’s standards.

Coding / decoding and transmission for standard digital interfaces is done by dedicated chips, developed and available since decades now, costing a penny.

No one has asked the industry for a new digital audio interface, doing the same like the existing ones, in mediocre manner.
As a consumer, I’d avoid them as hell.

Why don’t you just use USB?

Consumer interfacing future, BTW, is wireless.
Only Pro Audio will still need hardware connections for low latency, combined with high channel count.

10 (edited by Pervasive_Silicon 2023-04-14 08:00:55)

KaiS wrote:

Why don’t you just use USB?

Again, as written in post #1: My transport does not provide an USB interface!
Maybe I2S is not for Pro audio but for HiFi it is getting more and more popular.
I guess having the choice to use the interface that is best suited for a specific use case is a good thing.
RME needs to decide in which market they want to play or eventually provide a dedicated ADI-2 Pro HiFi version in a larger chassis.

There are many good examples in the industry where existing interface technologies were later on adapted for new applications. Best example is Ethernet which was further enhanced and will be the key networking technology for enabling autonomous driving.
Following your very conservative path then there would be hardly any innovation and we would still rely on the CAN bus with 1 Mbit/s….

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Comparing Ethernet with the hacky kludge that is external I2S is ridiculous.

As has already been stated there is no standard for external I2S and it's not performant.

The solution is to get a transport with USB. End of story.

Can you please elaborate and provide some evidence on why you believe it's "not performant"?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

13 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-14 13:28:34)

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

Again, as written in post #1: My transport does not provide an USB interface!

Here’s your practical solution, $22 (first of a multitude of hits on Google Search):

Wondom S/PDIF - I2S Audio Signal Konverter.
https://www.boomaudio.de/wondom-s/pdif- … -konverter
https://www.boomaudio.de/media/image/10/b8/14/List_s5YBHl3lYajoohy_600x600@2x.png

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

Following your very conservative path then there would be hardly any innovation and we would still rely on the CAN bus with 1 Mbit/s….

Someone comes, showing the re-invention of the wheel - roughly made from wood with no axis applied.

Then you call the one “very conservative” who points on a Tesla car and says, “Hey, you’re late to the show, we don”t need your wheel” ?

Hi Kai,

thanks for the interesting link!
Let assume I would connect the I2S output of my transport with this board playing music at PCM384.
Does this board then automatically downsample e. g. PCM384 to output PCM192 at the SPDIF output?
How is then DSD handled?

I guess this could also be used to directly connect it with the Raspberry Pi to add a SPIDIF output.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

15 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-14 22:09:40)

I don’t think this board - or others - offer downsampling.

To approach the case the other way round:
Can you set your streamer to upsample / convert DSD to PCM at a max. of 192 kHz?
Then you could just use AES / Optical / Coax.

Yes that should work but would still limit the I2S output to 192kHz.
The perfect device would be a digital to digital converter (DDC). Unfortunately the DDCs I found do only provide an USB input but no I2S input.

https://magnahifi.com/de/singxer-su-2-u … -i2s-hdmi/

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

In my experience 192 kHz is way good enough.

I switch my ADI-2/4 Pro SE to 192 kHz when using the phono / RIIA option to play vinyl discs.
Not that I notice any difference to 96 kHz, but audibly better than 44.1.

So if you can output the DSD files as 192 kHz PCM, you should get a satisfactory result.

18 (edited by joachim.herbert 2023-04-17 12:17:36)

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

I found do only provide an USB input but no I2S input.

https://magnahifi.com/de/singxer-su-2-u … -i2s-hdmi/

Can't quite imagine why the market is not full of these.

Edit: Oooops, it is. I own one of these https://magnahifi.com/de/matrix-audio-x … interface/ to connect USB to AES/EBU. Did not realize it supports I2S, nor do i care.

@KaiS
Over the weekend I digged a little bit into the Wondom board.
Actually I would first need to convert my I2S differential signal into a TTL-level I2S signal to connect my streamer with this board. Obviously this isn’t a problem but adds a bit more complexity to the solution.

Along those lines have a look at this video:
https://youtu.be/Jvu_doQfAI0

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

20 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-17 17:41:16)

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

Along those lines have a look at this video:
https://youtu.be/Jvu_doQfAI0

Have you seen (Video at 12:08) he has PLL Off for making a tiny sideband difference between SPDIF -139 dB, and I²S -142 dB visual?

For the ADi-2 with it‘s highly developed internal re-clocking jitter is of no concern anyway.

The most important statement in the video is at 8 minutes, where he says:
“The jitter removal devices only makes sense if it’s clock is better than the one built into the DAC”.
This is usually not the case with ADI-2!

21 (edited by vinark 2023-04-17 17:18:29)

It is a highly misleading video, since all done with pll off. Most devices have no option to disable pll or jitter reduction. Yes it shows the effect of noise and jitter, but only thing of interest is how is jitter with pll on not off for any dac and any digital input. So it is interesting but not meaningful.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Or at 4:20 in the video
“This video is not about what’s audible, what’s not, what makes a difference”
I am glad RME is not spending valuable engineering hours chasing after the audiophile market.

That‘s a pure business decision.
RME needs to decide whether they want to continue to only serve a niche market like pro-audio or they want to grow their company by creating dedicated products (not just another derivative) for the HiFi market.
Unfortunately, I cannot see that they are interested to really address the requirements of the HiFi community…

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

RME needs to decide whether they want to continue to only serve a niche market like pro-audio or they want to grow their company by creating dedicated products (not just another derivative) for the HiFi market.
Unfortunately, I cannot see that they are interested to really address the requirements of the HiFi community…

You mean catering to the audiophool market that you falsely claim to be the HiFi market? Personally I'm quite happy with the RME devices I own, and yes, it's High-Fidelity.

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

And I2S has a wide distribution? I don't know where I ever read that I2S is a requirement for the HiFi community.
Can you somehow back that up with facts?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is a general observation and is not specific to I2S.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

This is a general observation and is not specific to I2S.

Either you have something to say and can back it up, or the whole thing is both baseless and irrelevant.

Okay, so let‘s ask ChatGPT as a neutral source about I2S and it‘s relevance in HiFi.

Is the I2S interface relevant for the HiFi industry?
Yes, the I2S interface is very relevant for the HiFi industry. The I2S interface, which stands for Inter-IC Sound interface, is a serial bus interface standard used for transferring digital audio data between integrated circuits in electronic devices. It is commonly used in digital audio applications such as digital-to-analog converters (DACs), amplifiers, and other audio processing devices.

In the HiFi industry, the I2S interface is widely used for high-quality audio applications because it provides a high-speed, low-jitter digital interface that is capable of transmitting high-resolution audio data with minimal distortion. This makes it ideal for use in audiophile-grade equipment such as digital music players, high-end amplifiers, and DACs.

Furthermore, many high-end DACs feature I2S input ports, allowing them to receive digital audio signals directly from sources such as CD transports or digital audio workstations (DAWs). This can result in improved sound quality compared to other digital audio interfaces, such as S/PDIF or USB.

In summary, the I2S interface is a crucial component of high-quality digital audio systems and is widely used in the HiFi industry.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

ChatGPT: Provide more than 20 HiFi companies that support the I2S interface?
Sure, here are over 20 HiFi companies that support the I2S interface:

RME Audio (Isn‘t it funny that ChatGPT shows RME right at the top?)
AURALiC
PS Audio
Holo Audio
Denafrips
Gustard
Lumin
Mola Mola
Sonnet Digital Audio
Soekris Audio
T+A
Bryston
Weiss Engineering
Playback Designs
Aqua Acoustic Quality
LampizatOr
Topping
Mytek Digital
Linn
Matrix Audio
Audio-gd
Allo
Hifiman
TeraDak
Khadas
Note that this is not an exhaustive list, and there may be other HiFi companies that also support the I2S interface in their products.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

30 (edited by ramses 2023-04-23 09:20:40)

ChatGPT is not always accurate and does not tell you if the results are based on facts or if ChatGPT interpolates information and thus comes up with incorrect results. So, you better be careful and not too AI-believing. It is also bad style to use AI as a killer argument. Better think a bit yourself if I2S is of any use at all in the typical application scenarios for ADI-2 DAC/Pro.

For example, when I bought my Accuphase Class A amplifier a few years ago, it was neither relevant nor hip to look for products with I2S interfaces. HiFi also always uses the "traditional" digital interfaces like S/PDIF and HDMI, which also work lossless. As far as ADAT and S/PDIF are concerned, RME already has a unique selling point with SteadyClock FS, which perfectly eliminates jitter.

In typical use cases for the ADI-2 DAC and Pro, digital audio files are transferred to the device lossless. The "Bit test" feature allows you to validate lossless transfer using small .wav files that you can download from RME for free. SteadyClock FS effectively eliminates any clock jitter. Even at the highest jitter values that can only be artificially generated in a lab (and are not surpassed in practice by the worst playback devices), SteadyClock eliminates jitter entirely and reliably. These now completely jitter-free digital audio signals are converted using the device's own FS clock D/A converter, thanks to the special design of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro. This means that the ADI-2 functions as a "clock slave" and performs D/A conversion in the best quality, completely independent of the clock quality of the clock master.

Furthermore, with the ADI-2 DAC/Pro, you have other device-specific advantages such as different reference levels (4, and even 5 on the 2/4 Pro SE) and automatic switching of reference levels to ensure that dynamic range/SNR remain high over a wider range. Even settings for B/T, PEQ, and dynamic loudness are considered, and the optimal reference level is always chosen.

All of these advantages are available to you when you simply connect the ADI-2 DAC/Pro in the traditional way. There is no need for I2S, nor do you need to purchase a new device to get I2S. I really think I2S only came up in HiFi industry because they had nothing comparable to SteadyClock(tm). But now you have an RME device with proven studio technology and SteadyClock FS. This is a game changer, simply use it wisely in your setup and then enjoy.

I believe that in the end, these advantages provide more benefits than considering the implementation of an I2S interface on the ADI-2 DAC/Pro, which would unnecessarily complicate and increase the cost of the device.

Take a look at this video to get information about SteadyClock technology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti0aHW-zYcs

In my audio chain I connect other devices like TV, BluRay Player and Recording interface through ADAT and S/PDIF. Many other people also do so.
Then the ADI-2 Pro is the central instance performing the D/A conversion which makes sense according to the special features of the product.
The rest is analog audio transfer to HiFi Pre or Power Amp or integrated amplifier like in my case Accu E-600.

Again, I see no demand for I2S as most people are using products like ADI-2 DAC/Pro in such a way (getting digital audio data either from USB, ADAT/SPDIF or AES). And then for the final D/A conversion in highest quality using the internal FS clock.

In my case, the signal flow is this:

PC--Audio Player---UFX+---ADAT1--------------------------------+-------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE----Analog----Geithain RL906D
                                \                                                                                               \----Analog----Audeze LCD-3
                                 \
                                  +----ADAT2---------------+ Optosel 4:1 +------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE---Analog---Accu E-600---Speaker
                                          BluRay/SPDIF-----+
                                          TV/SPDIF-----------+

I don't like to submit to the dictates of the industry anyway, always throwing something new on the market, which ultimately brings no advantages (at least not for somebody having an ADI-2 DAC/Pro). Rather the disadvantage that you have to spend money again for no real reason.

It's best to set up your setup intelligently enough to escape this dictate. These are still areas where we are ahead of an AI and that's a good thing.

To sum up. Audio transmission in the setup described above is lossless and the ADI-2 Pro performs a very efficient jitter suppression by SteadyClock FS and performs the final D/A conversion with its internal FS clock. With I2S it wouldn't get any better than this and I2S wouldn't provide any advantage in terms of lossless transmission or jitter suppression.

I guess if we're going to ask ChatGPT to do something we can ask it to write a short story.  You can steer ChatGPT in any direction you like by "leading the witness."

-- Write a short story in the style of Raymond Chandler about an audiophile that spent so much time setting up his system that he forgot what music sounds like.

The audiophile's obsession with perfecting his sound system had taken over his life. He spent countless hours tweaking and adjusting every aspect of his setup until it was an immaculate reflection of his obsessive nature. But in this pursuit of audio perfection, he had forgotten one crucial thing - the beauty of music itself.

The system was a masterpiece of design, with each component chosen with the utmost care and precision. The speakers were the best that money could buy, handcrafted works of art that produced the most perfect sound. The receiver was a vintage masterpiece, lovingly restored to its former glory. Every cable and wire was of the highest quality, chosen for its ability to transmit the signal with the least possible interference.

But as he sat in his dimly lit listening room, surrounded by the warm glow of tubes and the hum of expensive electronics, he found himself unable to enjoy the music. The notes that once brought him so much joy now seemed flat and lifeless. The richness and complexity of the music had been replaced with the sterile perfection of his sound system.

He tried to understand what was missing from his experience but couldn't quite put his finger on it. Was it the emotion of the music that he was not hearing? Or was it something else entirely?

Then he remembered a time when he had listened to music on an old boombox. The sound was crappy and distorted, but the music had been alive. That realization hit him like a ton of bricks. He had been so focused on the technical aspects of his system that he had forgotten the beauty of music itself.

With that realization, he stripped away all of the technicalities and complexities of his system, reducing it to its most basic form. He unplugged all the wires and removed all the components, leaving only his speakers and a simple amplifier.

As he listened to the first notes that emerged from the speakers, he felt something stir within him. The music was alive, bursting with emotion and passion. It was as if he was hearing music for the very first time, its beauty and intricacy revealing itself in every note.

The audiophile had come full circle, realizing that the music was the true masterpiece. He had spent so much time and effort building the perfect system, but in the end, he had discovered that it was the simplest things that held the most beauty. And as he sat there, smiling in the warm glow of his speakers, he knew that he had finally found what he was looking for.

32 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-23 01:32:48)

Hey, I just solved the problem, asking ChatGPT:

Question:
Does ADI-2 Pro support I2S?

ChatGPT:
Yes, the RME ADI-2 Pro does support I2S. It has an I2S input and output, as well as other digital audio inputs and outputs.”

Who am I to question that?

So @Pervasive_Silicon, do your I2S connection and enjoy the music.

- Case closed -

The suggestion is that pro audio is the "niche market" and HiFi DACs with I2S connection isn't...!?

RME seem happy enough selling their "derivative" products in the backwaters of the pro-audio "niche market". roll

KaiS wrote:

Hey, I just solved the problem, asking ChatGPT:

Question:
Does ADI-2 Pro support I2S?

ChatGPT:
Yes, the RME ADI-2 Pro does support I2S. It has an I2S input and output, as well as other digital audio inputs and outputs.”

Who am I to question that?

So @Pervasive_Silicon, do your I2S connection and enjoy the music.

- Case closed -

+1

35 (edited by ramses 2023-04-23 09:43:54)

Another aspect, I2S max cable length is small and the prices for cables are ridiculous high.

I didn't find the max cable length according to standards, seems to be comparable to HDMI, so the usual 1-3 m.

On Amazon I found a price of €50 for 0.5 (!) m cable: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Jieotwice-Ox … amp;sr=8-4

But of course you can also vidoo cable for €907 per meter :-) https://magnahifi.com/pink-faun-il-1-i2 … i-1-meter/

Well, obviously the same brain washing (even for digital cables) takes place here like usual for the HiFi industry.
Not only that they want you to buy new devices, of course also expensive cables again.

Surely frustrating, that you get with "plain" Studio Technology
- 15 m TOSLINK cables for €20 which provide same quality and gives you besides longer cable lengths even galvanic isolation
- with AES even 100 m and longer and also usually galvanic isolation Digital cable or even plain mic XLR cables will do here

36 (edited by Pervasive_Silicon 2023-04-23 11:02:06)

Guys,
Thanks for all your feedback!
I think the list of vendors (except RME) that ChatGPT has put together is pretty good. Of course there are many more vendors out there that support I2S.
As stated in my initial post, I just wanted to use the I2S interface of my streamer/CD transport to listen to SACDs because Sony and Co did only allow the HiFi industry to output the DSD signal via HDMI but not via SPDIF or AES.
I‘m first and foremost a music lover and EE engineer but certainly not somebody who spends a fortune in cables and other nonsense.
I also use my ADI-2 pro to perform some audio measurements on my HiFi gear - just for fun.
Since I use the ADI for room/headphone correction all my HiFi sources are routed through the ADI.

Even there are better sounding DACs (with I2S) out there they cannot offer me such a great feature set.
Since functionality is more important for me than sound quality I‘m clearly not an audiophile :-)

PS: For an I2S connection you can use any cheap HDMI cable <= 1.5m for 10€!

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

37 (edited by ramses 2023-04-23 11:29:13)

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

As stated in my initial post, I just wanted to use the I2S interface of my streamer/CD transport to listen to SACDs because Sony and Co did only allow the HiFi industry to output the DSD signal via HDMI but not via SPDIF or AES.

I think there were two issues: required bandwidth and copyright protection. Why I am not really fond of SACD at all (and the increased cost). But isn't DSD through PCM also possible (not 100% sure, as I am not using it for those reasons).

Another key point of the discussion was, that HiFi vendors did not have a good or widely used technology for jitter reduction.

If you use RME devices, this is not necessary as their SteadyClock technology has been effectively solving this for decades and has even improved with the introduction of SteadyClock FS.

38 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-23 11:41:05)

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

...I just wanted to use the I2S interface of my streamer/CD transport to listen to SACDs because Sony and Co did only allow the HiFi industry to output the DSD signal via HDMI but not via SPDIF or AES....

In this case the mentioned I2S to SPDIF converter is the solution.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 55#p200855
As copy protection can not be transferred through I2S it works like a filter for it.

On disc you anyway only find, to my knowledge, DSD64, so SPDIF’s 192 kHz sample rate limit is of no concern either.

39 (edited by ramses 2023-04-23 11:51:44)

> As copy protection can not be transferred through I2S it works like a filter for it.

Good to know.

> On disc you anyway only find, to my knowledge, DSD64, so SPDIF’s 192 kHz sample rate limit is of no concern either.

Nice.

> In this case the mentioned I2S to SPDIF converter is the solution.
> https://www.boomaudio.de/wondom-s/pdif- … -konverter

Cool :-) +1

But if the price and effort to provide this is so low, maybe in the future we see such a connector on an ADI product so that the incoming I2S stream becomes somehow bridged to the SPDIF input wink Most likely less effort than bringing I2S additionally to the DSP section of ADI?!

Exactly, it shouldn’t be a big deal to implement I2S into the ADI-2.
Another solutions would be this:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005135367670.html

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE