1 (edited by rickytsang 2023-02-14 19:11:04)

Topic: Frequent audio glitch with ADI-2 PRO running on M1 Mac

I have been using ADI-2 PRO since 2017 on PC platform, and I have literally never experienced any audio glitch under normal circumstances.

But since switching to Mac (running on Apple Silicon) last year, I have been experiencing non-stop audio glitch literally non-stop whenever I play music through my Macbook... It is in the form of a short interruption which sounds like a click, and the frequency can vary greatly - sometimes there is only one glitch in 5 minutes, sometimes the glitches can occur every 5-15 seconds. This is really annoying.

I have tried out different settings, tried to swap USB cables (even tried USB B to C cable), tried connecting to the Macbook through a hub. No luck at all. There is no glitch when I connect it to my CD player via SPDIF in. Also no glitch when I record my LP source in ADDA mode.

I have asked other friends who use RME products, and tried to search online and I cannot find anybody who experienced the same issue as myself. Any clue as to why this happens? Does it have to do with the MacOS platform? I already feel desperate after fighting it for months...

Macbook | Rega Planet | Technics SL-1200G > RME ADI-2 PRO FS R > Neumann KH 80 DSP

Re: Frequent audio glitch with ADI-2 PRO running on M1 Mac

Have you tried all available USB ports? Is anything else connected to this Mac?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Have you tried all available USB ports? Is anything else connected to this Mac?

It always glitches during playback, in all situations, as long as it's plugged to my M1 Pro Macbook Pro. The only difference is the glitch is sometimes more frequent, sometimes much less. It's almost always plugged via my Mac Studio Display (which is connected to the Macbook via Thunderbolt 4).

I just tried disconnecting all other USB ports except the one going to my ADI-2 PRO. Tried all ports. No difference, all glitching.

By the way, for your info I very recently purchased a newer version of ADI-2 PRO (hoping that it won't glitch), it behaves exactly the same. So I am wondering if I've set anything terribly wrong, or if I have a faulty Macbook......

Macbook | Rega Planet | Technics SL-1200G > RME ADI-2 PRO FS R > Neumann KH 80 DSP

You can do a test, create a new guest user account and login there to sort out software problems on your own user account.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I'm struggling with the same problem on M1 Mac pro - accidentals drops out. Sometimes once per 15 s, sometimes once per 10 minutes and sometimes nothing for hours.
I have same issues on previous Windows computer, but there has been long USB cable and non-standard motherboard, but after upgrade to mac issues continue. At Windows there has been counter of USB failure at drivers, so it was possible to test for longer time without listening, but I didn't found anything similar on Mac, where is not special driver.

A few observations:
- ADI-2 works properly on another Win notebook
- After restart of whole Mac everything looks work properly, problems start usually after wake up from sleep
- Restart of sound service (killall coreaudiod) not helps

6 (edited by Gössi 2023-03-05 23:31:26)

I have exactly the same problem, as described here in another thread on the same topic.

- M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14" 2021
- Changing the USB cable does not make a difference (including the original)
- Changing to a different USB port on the MacBook Pro does not make a difference
- Changing/including a USB dock in the connection from the Mac to the ADI-2 DAC does not make a difference
- M1 iPad Pro with USB-C does not reproduce the issue

Has anybody had the chance to attach the RME ADI-2 DAC to a M1 mac via a Thunderbolt dock?

7 (edited by rickytsang 2023-03-25 06:01:33)

I am so relieved that more and more people are posting about this problem. It proves that I am not alone and I did not mess up something out of stupidity and ignorance.

However, given the lack of official response, it seems this is a problem that RME cannot solve (I trust that they will if they can, given their great reputation). Yet, I would appreciate that they just are transparent about it and give us an official answer. It's wasting our time.

Unfortunately, it looks like time to invest on another interface for my Mac system......

rickytsang wrote:

I am so relieved that more and more people are posting about this problem. It proves that I am not alone and I did not mess up something out of stupidity and ignorance.

However, given the lack of official response, it seems this is a problem that RME cannot solve (I trust that they will if they can, given their great reputation). Yet, I would appreciate that they just are transparent about it and give us an official answer. It's wasting our time.

Unfortunately, it looks like time to invest on another interface for my Mac system......

Good luck with that... on both my M1 Ultra Studio and M1 Max MBPro, I have the problem, regardless of what interface I use.
So, not an RME issue as such.  So I am not sure they can do anything about it.   It's an Apple problem for sure.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I have been having exactly the same problem which my m1 MacBook pro. Non stop glitches.
This is happening with my home system using the ADI-2 Pro, but it doesn't happen at work using my RME- DIGIFACE DANTE interface, so I don't agree with the previous poster that is purely mac related.

Would love a fix please RME !

10 (edited by hasan.ay386 2023-04-19 11:27:49)

I also have an M1 Mac (newest OS) with Adi-2 Pro fs r Be and have never had a problem with dropouts or glitches. Can you say what software you are using?

For me it's any software, and not even the just the DAW's. Spotify playback, finder, apple music. Anything.

12 (edited by hasan.ay386 2023-04-19 14:07:51)

rameshsathiah wrote:

For me it's any software, and not even the just the DAW's. Spotify playback, finder, apple music. Anything.

strange, maybe it's an apple hardware problem... Because mine is the first MacBook Air with M1, all the other apple devices mentioned here are the macs with the newer design.

I am using DAWs, Jriver, Finder and Apple Music and never had a problem. except in Nuendo when I used the ADI-2 pro in "High Precision" mode I also had dropouts, but I thought this is a problem with Nuendo...

Is it possible that the new Macs (with the new DA converters inside) also use something like nuendos "High precision" (32-bit int) mode by default systemwide? But I don't know, it's just a theory

mattrixx wrote:
rickytsang wrote:

Good luck with that... on both my M1 Ultra Studio and M1 Max MBPro, I have the problem, regardless of what interface I use.
So, not an RME issue as such.  So I am not sure they can do anything about it.   It's an Apple problem for sure.

Thanks for pointing out. Do you mean you experienced problem with interfaces that require a proprietary driver to function (e.g. Babyface)?

Not trying to complain anymore (I know most people here just wouldn't take it anyway because they don't have the same problem): whether or not it's an Apple problem, I just feel being punished for paying for supposedly the best gears in respective areas and told to figure it out by myself.

Once I have more free time in the 2nd half of this year, I am going to set up a new PC and move my audio stuff back to a Windows platform......

14 (edited by mattrixx 2023-04-24 08:28:26)

rickytsang wrote:
mattrixx wrote:
rickytsang wrote:

Thanks for pointing out. Do you mean you experienced problem with interfaces that require a proprietary driver to function (e.g. Babyface)?

Not trying to complain anymore (I know most people here just wouldn't take it anyway because they don't have the same problem): whether or not it's an Apple problem, I just feel being punished for paying for supposedly the best gears in respective areas and told to figure it out by myself.

Once I have more free time in the 2nd half of this year, I am going to set up a new PC and move my audio stuff back to a Windows platform......

I have had the same experience using just a pair of headphones plugged in, or even AirPods Max and Pro2's...and the internal speakers themselves....  doesn't seem to discriminate.

----------------
----------------

With my headless mac mini with Intel processor I use Audirvana for music. The RME Adi Dac FS is USB connected to the mac mini and transports the music to the amplifier. Never a glitch snd fantastic sound. Audirvana, when it plays music, makes use exclusively of the computer, all other process that can interfere are during music playing excluded.

16 (edited by mattrixx 2023-04-24 09:08:49)

mg wrote:

With my headless mac mini with Intel processor I use Audirvana for music. The RME Adi Dac FS is USB connected to the mac mini and transports the music to the amplifier. Never a glitch snd fantastic sound. Audirvana, when it plays music, makes use exclusively of the computer, all other process that can interfere are during music playing excluded.

That may be lovely for just listening to music.  However, many of us have some deep workflows involving various software to deal with, feeding things like the Dolby Atmos Renderer etc. 
When I retire (in like a thousand years if I'm lucky)... that'll be me for sure!!  Just listening !! :-)

----------------
----------------

If you need more information about the background of those glitches, see also this thread:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29658

There is a huge thread in Apple forums about it: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thre … 23?page=23

I have the issue on my M1 Macbook on USB connected RME, on Headphone out and also internal speakers wink

On my Intel Macbook I dont have any issues...

18 (edited by waedi 2023-04-24 10:28:18)

Owners of such Macbooks should walk into the Apple store and request cash money refund.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue