Topic: madifaceusb - Priority and Affinity reset to default after reboot

When I enter Task Manager in Windows 10 > click on the Details tab > scroll down to madifaceusb.exe > point to and right click on madifaceusb.exe, a pop-up window appears with a number of settings, of which two settings are relevant to me:

Set Priority
Set Affinity

Subsequently I change Priority from Normal to High
and when I click on Affinity, I disable All processors and enable CPU 2 only.

These settings prioritize the processing of the madifaceusb driver above all drivers and allocate the madifaceusb driver to be processed exclusively by the physical CPU 2.

These settings reduce latency and avoid hiccups.

However, when I reboot my Windows 10 systems, these settings are reset again to default and I have to manually set them again as mentioned above.

Interestingly when I apply the same settings to audiodg.exe and I reboot Windows 10, the settings are the same as set before the rebooting.

Is there any way to make the settings sticky i.e. permanent?

2 (edited by ramses 2023-04-23 18:25:44)

Re: madifaceusb - Priority and Affinity reset to default after reboot

I think you are misled, see this comment from RME: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 85#p201185
madifaceusb.exe is not the driver, it is most likely only the driver settings dialog.

Drivers are usually loaded into the kernel, you won't see them as executables in the process table. As user/admin, you have no possibility to change the priority of drivers. I, personally, would wish that I could parametrize the runtime of a driver to optimize certain drivers not to block a core for too long (to get lesser DPC latencies). But also such (more useful) things are not possible.

If you need this for the one or other reason, "Process Lasso Pro" from Bitsum is the tool that supports you with such tasks.
It's also useful to automatically enter energy saving mode if certain programs (like DAW) are not running anymore and if you are not active on the console (no keyboard activity or mouse movement).
The devs behind Bitsum are very friendly and customer oriented, they implemented some of my wishes.

I recommend you to get the lifetime license because they are actively developing this product, and you save money every year.  Lifetime= $39.95 vs. 2x $24.95 (year 1 + 2)=$49.90 and then you save $24.95 per year.

Which CPU do you have? In which power mode are you running and what ASIO buffersize is in use?
Maybe you have an advantage by pinning madifaceusb.exe to one core (CPU2), so that other audio related processes
have a better chance to get enough CPU time on other cores.

How high is the DPC latency on your system when the system is IDLE? Do you have enough reserves for tasks with real-time demands like audio? Or are CPU cores blocked for too long by bad drivers (high DPC latency)?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Correct. The driver is a sys or dll.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by switch6343 2023-04-29 22:44:44)

ramses, thanks for your feedback. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I now understand the difference between a driver and the madifaceuse.exe app. Thanks.
In the meantime I purchased Process Lasso Pro, lifetime license, entire home (max 5 PCs), excellent software.

I implemented a plethora of tweaks on my NUC11, both in BIOS as well as in Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC to reduce jitter, elimiate electro smog to the maximum, reduce idle times, allocate CPU (Affinity) and prioritze madeifaceusb.exe, etc. etc. The improved sound quality is stellar. I only now realise how extremely bad Windows (10) is as OS to run any Media Software to play and reproduce music albums. I don't know how it compares to Linux or macOS, but to what I listened until applying all those tweaks. It is almost unthinkable that I was listening to absolute crap, garbage music reproduction for many years. It's a waste of money to try to improve music reproduction by investing in expensive hardware e.g. DACs, amplifiers, expensive speakersystems, expensive headphones. The root of all evil is Windows. I just found out. Glad I found out that a few very good tweaks makes a difference between day and night.