Topic: UFXiii new owner

Just wanted to drop a note on how pleased I am with with my new ufx3 I got a few days ago. Haven't done a ton with it, but have it hooked up to an audient asp880 via adat (longer term, I have another one of those but it's in the shop). Temporary in place is an older apollo with a daking 4 channel pre and the 4 mic channels from the apollo via adat. Adat outs from the ufx are feeding the behringer headphone thing. Have a couple outboard effects plugged in too, an eventide h9 and older Roland stereo reverb. Another set of outputs feeding a Neve headphone amp. Everything works like a champ, no issues on install. Love the sound of the built in preamps either for mics, a two notes captor x, or a Neve di I like to use with bass. The instrument input on channels 9-12 sounds great with my bass too. Basically the instrument DI holds it's own with the Neve di, and the headphone outputs hold their own with the Neve headphone amp (or the adi pro headphone amp). Also messed with using the adi pro via aes for monitoring vs just the ufx, and totally happy with just the ufx there.

Speaking to DSP effects, the eq and dynamics sound great to me too and are extremely useful. The verb and delay sounds good and again are extremely useful too.

And totalmix is just the bomb. I basically replaced my $17k Allen Heath gl-4000 with totalmix, and it's way more simple and flexible at the same time. For the behringer headphone stuff, I used to submix a pair for drums, guitar, vocals, keys, main mix, separate bass and then more me stuff like each vocal mic. For those 4 stereo submixes, I'd use some drawmer, daking and dbx compressors, but just having the ufx dynamics accomplishes the same thing which is just knocking a couple db off.

I tried all three cables that came with the unit connected to the Mac, the usb3 cable, usb2 cable, and the usb-c to usb3 cable. All worked without any hitch. This Mac is one of the intel mini's with 4 thunderbolt ports. I've also used my older fireface800 with a m2  MacBook Pro via a couple adapters and that was flawless, so not worried about that end either.

Basically wanted to drop a note of thanks and positivity about the unit. In general I kind of see a lot of stuff on the forum that has a kind of negative connotation with it, like I can't get this to work, or just problems in general, and it was kind of making me wary of the products because it all seems so negative, but it's really not that way. Maybe more like the people with problems are the only people who seem to post looking for help, and I get that, but just wanted to say that I'm blown away with this thing.

Would be remiss if I didn't mention the latency too. If you are singing with headphones through say an apollo at 2ms round trip at 48k compared to an analog signal path, it's sort of night and day for that comb filtering that latency creates. The .1ms roundtrip of the ufx doesn't have that effect at all. Super cool.

The cherry on the cake is madi which I haven't touched at all, but that can open up a world of possibilities in the future for me. Super, super cool.

Cheers and sincere thanks to the RME engineers and staff in general.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-04-30 22:04:29)

Re: UFXiii new owner

Congrats! Thanks for your positive report.

To give you some ideas, what flexibility you have with UFX and TM FX capabilities.

The evolution of my setup .. I was also using analog gear long ago. Focusrite was a short intermezzo for me, doesn't have the features and quality of RME:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … -DURec-DE/

I am playing guitar and am doing overdubs to songs for my own pleasure.
Recording with DURec as tape deck without having to fire up the DAW is a nice functionality.

I am plugging my guitar to the Instr input of my UFX+ and then routing it through a booster pedal to my amp.
Then the UFX+ serves as a parallel effect loop with two Lexicon PCM connected.

This is the old setup without the Lexicons and only one Marshall combo:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2776-current-rme-based-setup-v002-jpg/

Now I am using a stereo setup where the Lexicons are very nice, also for guitar as external FX and I am free to choose the one or the other and with different TM FX snapshots I can also use different intensities of FX levels. Can be operated via ARC USB.

By this I am also recording the pure guitar signal and can reamp at any time, if needed.

With TM FX routing I can use the two external FX in several ways:
a) PCM 81 for guitar and PCM 91 for Cubase, e.g. as insert or send for Mastering etc ..
b) PCM 81 and PCM 91 for guitar
c) PCM 81 and 91 for Cubase, e.g. when adding FX to guitar later and then adding some ambience sound to the stereo sum with the PCM91.

You can do very creative things with UFX+ and TM FX ... e.g. build a parallel effect loop for a Marshall amp ...
[DE only]: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … arren-Rig/

If you are interested in having a look, current cabling / setup for Studio and HiFi corner:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2955-current-setup-2022-jpg/

The cabling around the Marshall and Lexicons (external FX):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aocjbgaoqgv3jyg/2023-04-30%2022_40_56-Current%20Cabling%20-%20Marshall%20-%20parallel%20effect%20loop%2C%20etc.jpg?dl=1

Please read this, if you are interested in this I would be glad about a +1
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36055

Some advanced topics, if you are interested
- TM FX setup of external FX
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 00#p192400
- getting a basic setting where only the required routing is confifured, gives more overview in TM FX matrix view.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=36025

Have fun with your new toy!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@ramses, that looks very nice, but I miss the integrated coffee machine as well as the beer tap…
— Joking mode off —

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

4 (edited by ramses 2023-04-30 22:11:39)

Hi, hope your're doing fine.
Sorry, found no coffee machine with ADAT or MADI I/O wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by bsfreq 2023-04-30 22:17:09)

ramses wrote:

That’s right. They usually come with Dan-tea.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

bsfreq wrote:
ramses wrote:

Hahaha, very nice!
You know, every time I go to open a bottle of beer, the sound it makes reminds me to someone saying „SPDIF“ (or vice versa).
I think it’s time to sleep now…!

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

7 (edited by bsfreq 2023-04-30 22:36:34)

oli77sch wrote:

You know, every time I go to open a bottle of beer, the sound it makes reminds me to someone saying „SPDIF“ (or vice versa).
I think it’s time to sleep now…!

For me, it’s still a couple more SPDIFs, as it’s vappu (May day) here in Finland. Happy May day to everyone!

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Ramses - thanks for all that info. We are sort of in that same mindset I think, except for maybe I have no patience for re-amping even though I have a reamp device. The dry + wet stereo guitar I did on stage for a long time with a g-major which worked great. Doing the same idea here but with the H9. Also have similar Lexicons (pcm 80 and 90). 80 is kind of flaky, and the 90 lost one side of the analog input and not repairable. The 90 stereo in/out analog was the bomb, but it loses something using spdif. Will try again with aes from the ufx once I find some cables for that aes to spdif thing. And thanks for all the diagrams. If I could add one thing to that for you, the captor x works really well. I've tried a lot of those types of devices and don't like any of them, but the captor x really gives me decent results, and they aren't super expensive.

bsfreq wrote:
ramses wrote:

That's a nice one wink

agotheridge wrote:

Ramses - thanks for all that info. We are sort of in that same mindset I think, except for maybe I have no patience for re-amping even though I have a reamp device. The dry + wet stereo guitar I did on stage for a long time with a g-major which worked great. Doing the same idea here but with the H9. Also have similar Lexicons (pcm 80 and 90). 80 is kind of flaky, and the 90 lost one side of the analog input and not repairable. The 90 stereo in/out analog was the bomb, but it loses something using spdif. Will try again with aes from the ufx once I find some cables for that aes to spdif thing. And thanks for all the diagrams. If I could add one thing to that for you, the captor x works really well. I've tried a lot of those types of devices and don't like any of them, but the captor x really gives me decent results, and they aren't super expensive.

TBH, I am also re-amping rarely. At least, I want to have the possibility if needed.

A few days ago I did some DURec recordings and forgot to turn on the 12Mic.
I was happy that I am always recording the direct guitar signal from the Instr input, it's of excellent quality.
This way I didn't lose the recorded track as I was able to re-amp…

Thanks for the tip with the captor x, maybe I should really try it out ….

agotheridge wrote:

Basically wanted to drop a note of thanks and positivity about the unit. In general I kind of see a lot of stuff on the forum that has a kind of negative connotation with it, like I can't get this to work, or just problems in general, and it was kind of making me wary of the products because it all seems so negative, but it's really not that way. Maybe more like the people with problems are the only people who seem to post looking for help, and I get that, but just wanted to say that I'm blown away with this thing.

Agreed, thanks for sharing that sentiment as I feel the same!

I just received my UFX III late last week after a long wait, and I was getting nervous with some of the negative posts as well.

But I hooked it up and was able to just get to work, using it with my Mac Studio, latest Ventura, and using the latest v4 drivers.

Still getting my MADI and ADAT gear properly connected (waiting on longer cables) but testing using the short cables I have has been just as flawless.

This is my first RME device, purchased because of RME's famed long-term driver stability, and so far I am very impressed! Thanks RME!

Apple Mac Studio Max 64gb RAM, Ventura, RME UFX III, 12Mic, Pulse 16 MX, Studio One 6