1 (edited by FusionGlory 2023-05-01 08:58:13)

Topic: [Solved] UFX III Working Opposite of how they're labeled

Hi all,

I used to have a Babyface Pro so I'm not totally new to Totalmix, but I am fairly new to it and I just replaced my 10 year old Apollo with a UFX III. I'm very happy so far but I noticed the headphone ports are working opposite of how they are labeled on the unit. The top one is marked 9/10 headphone 1, and the bottom one is marked 11/12 headphone 2. But when you wiggle the knob for headphone 1, the fader for headphone 2 operates on Totalmix. And vice versa; When you play with c ontrols for headphone 2 it affects the top port for headphone 1 only. And likewise the submixes & levels for headphone 1 come out of headphone 2's port and vice versa again for the ohter one.

I looked at  the matrix and it appears to be setup fine. i.e. everything's in the right place. This was a "used" unit I bought from a store where someone had returned it, so I suppose it had been opened and plugged into a computer but the unit is basically new and looks perfect aesthetically.

Otherwise things are working great. Amazing interface... Love it overall.

I'd love to get this solved. Thanks,

Matt

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-05-01 09:45:18)

Re: [Solved] UFX III Working Opposite of how they're labeled

Can you please post a photo of your unit? On the UFX III (as well as on all other UFX models) the headphone outputs normally are 11/12 on top and 9/10 at bottom! I don’t have such an unit (sadly…) but of course it’s easy to find several pictures. Could it be you have a mislabelled unit?!
EDIT: wait, I just realised there of course are two labelled places on the unit, once the hp ports and also the knobs on the right side. On all the pictures I saw so far,
the ports are:
Top 11/12, bottom 9/10,
the knobs are
Top 1, bottom 2
So how exactly is it on your unit?
EDIT 2: in the TotalMix control room section, channels can be assigned to personal needs. Please check the settings there. Maybe 'Phones 1' is assigned to 'PH 11/12' and 'Phones 2' to 'PH 9/10'.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch is right. And a used UFX III in a shop? You are aware that they just started shipping? Is that a UFX II maybe?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by ramses 2023-05-01 10:43:28)

FusionGlory wrote:

Hi all,

I used to have a Babyface Pro so I'm not totally new to Totalmix, but I am fairly new to it and I just replaced my 10 year old Apollo with a UFX III. I'm very happy so far but I noticed the headphone ports are working opposite of how they are labeled on the unit. The top one is marked 9/10 headphone 1, and the bottom one is marked 11/12 headphone 2. But when you wiggle the knob for headphone 1, the fader for headphone 2 operates on Totalmix. And vice versa; When you play with c ontrols for headphone 2 it affects the top port for headphone 1 only. And likewise the submixes & levels for headphone 1 come out of headphone 2's port and vice versa again for the ohter one.

I looked at  the matrix and it appears to be setup fine. i.e. everything's in the right place. This was a "used" unit I bought from a store where someone had returned it, so I suppose it had been opened and plugged into a computer but the unit is basically new and looks perfect aesthetically.

Matt

Please post a photo of the front, UFX'es (UFX, UFX+, UFX II, UFX III) have:
- 11/12 on top     ("phones2")
- 9/10 on bottom ("phones1")

https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/External/Fireface-UFX-III.png

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by FusionGlory 2023-05-01 14:47:30)

MC wrote:

oli77sch is right. And a used UFX III in a shop? You are aware that they just started shipping? Is that a UFX II maybe?

No it's crazy someone returned a UFX III to BH Photo in New York. I got it for a $600 discount. It's brand new, still in the plastic... No idea why it was returned. It clearly says UXF III on the front and has MADI so I'm sure it is the correct unit I meant to buy. I just got a great deal. I am aware they just started shipping, I have been waiting for this unit to be released. I was surprised and confused when I saw it listed for $2599.95 but then I realized it was used, called, and it was just a customer return. So I bought it.

6 (edited by FusionGlory 2023-05-01 14:46:26)

ramses wrote:
FusionGlory wrote:

Hi all,

Matt

Please post a photo of the front, UFX'es (UFX, UFX+, UFX II, UFX III) have:
- 11/12 on top     ("phones2")
- 9/10 on bottom ("phones1")

https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/External/Fireface-UFX-III.png

Honestly I think I was just confused. Normally I'd expect the knob for the port 1 to be on the top and port 2 to be on the bottom. The ports for headphone jacks are labeled correctly. I think I was confused because next to the knobs, you have a "1" and a "2" printed with "1" on top and "2" on bottom which seem to be labeled for command purposes in the onboard menus. But the knobs correspond to the outputs they're leveled with on the faceplate, which is opposite of the menu command labels. So I was just confused and they are actually where they are meant to live, albeit as counterintuitive as it may seem; Knob 1 corresponds to headphone 2 which is the top jack and knob. And vie versa for the other one. Weird... But it works and looks like the one in your photo. I'll just have to get used to the placement, which is opposite of what I'd expect.