Topic: Adi 2 fs converters

Hello!

I’m sure others have thought about this too, but I can’t seem to find an answer searching the web…

I use the ff800 as interface and the adi 2 dac fs for monitoring (which I absolutely love).

I’m looking to buy top converters for a stereo analogue loop intended for mastering and was eyeing the adi 2 fs since I already have monitoring and interface-needs covered.

Would it make sense to go for the adi 2 fs converter instead of buying for example the adi 2 fs pro r? Would the converters in the adi 2 fs be on par with the black box or is it of lesser sound quality?

I don’t really need all the features of the adi 2 fs pro r, since I already have most in the dac already. But i still want to get proper converters.

Thankfull for any help!

Re: Adi 2 fs converters

What sample rates are you typically using?

If you go 88.2 kHz or higher I doubt there’s a true audible difference.
Specifications-wise there’s a step between ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 Pro FS.

Of course, the ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2/4 Pro SE could replace the DAC AND the ADI-2 FS into one unit.

KaiS wrote:

What sample rates are you typically using?

If you go 88.2 kHz or higher I doubt there’s a true audible difference.
Specifications-wise there’s a step between ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 Pro FS.

Of course, the ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2/4 Pro SE could replace the DAC AND the ADI-2 FS into one unit.

Hey, thanks for your answer!

I have switched sample rates depending on program material but typically for an analogue loop setup I would probably do 96.

And yes, the ADI-2/4 pro SE could replace both units (not just the pro though, since i need both monitoring and analogue outs), I guess I liked the idea also of the converter being standalone and sitting in its rack mounted place while the dac could be moved for remote work. But ofc only if it qualifies converter-wise…

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-03 08:29:41)

The ADI-2 FS has better specs than Fireface 800, so have the Pro and Pro SE.
e.g converter’s dynamic range:

• ADC dBA
    FF800 FS  Pro  ProSE  DAC
    112   121  124 >123   —-
    DAC dBA
    119   120  124   123   123

To be realistic: all these specs are way beyond good or bad.

But- is the diiference audible (for you)?
You already have an ADI-2 DAC, so do your own test:

• Play some tracks through both FF800, and ADI-2 DAC, and re-record them.

• Align the two recordings on two stacked tracks in your DAW.

EXACTLY match their levels (record a 1 kHz sine wave as start of each for precise result).
I can’t stress it enough, this is the important part, else the test is invalid!
Use the DAW’s master level meter, ADI-2 DAC’s meter or RME Digicheck, NOT the DAW’s normalization function.

• Now mute one track.
Close your eyes.
• Using the muted track’s Solo function to switch between A and B.
You can place the mouse cursor above the Solo button, then lift the mouse to use it as a remote, kind of.
• Fast, randomly press the button several times until you don’t know which track is playing.
• Switch between tracks and listen.
• Do you hear any difference, if yes, open your eyes, note down which one sounds better.
• Repeat the comparison at least 30 times.
• From your notes, count the “hits”.
Is there a significant preference one or the other?

KaiS wrote:

The ADI-2 FS has better specs than Fireface 800, so have the Pro and Pro SE.
e.g converter’s dynamic range:

• ADC dBA
    FF800 FS  Pro  ProSE  DAC
    112   121  124 >123   —-
    DAC dBA
    119   120  124   123   123

To be realistic: all these specs are way beyond good or bad.

But- is the diiference audible (for you)?
You already have an ADI-2 DAC, so do your own test:

• Play some tracks through both FF800, and ADI-2 DAC, and re-record them.

• Align the two recordings on two stacked tracks in your DAW.

EXACTLY match their levels (record a 1 kHz sine wave as start of each for precise result).
I can’t stress it enough, this is the important part, else the test is invalid!
Use the DAW’s master level meter, ADI-2 DAC’s meter or RME Digicheck, NOT the DAW’s normalization function.

• Now mute one track.
Close your eyes.
• Using the muted track’s Solo function to switch between A and B.
You can place the mouse cursor above the Solo button, then lift the mouse to use it as a remote, kind of.
• Fast, randomly press the button several times until you don’t know which track is playing.
• Switch between tracks and listen.
• Do you hear any difference, if yes, open your eyes, note down which one sounds better.
• Repeat the comparison at least 30 times.
• From your notes, count the “hits”.
Is there a significant preference one or the other?

Thanks for listing the different specs!
I’m sure those small differences in dynamic range are pretty negligible when it comes to what we can perceive and the necessary headroom for noise floor is surely passed already with the adi fs. However, I’m  interested in the sound of the converters and if they would differ much. Obviously this is the case comparing the ff800 to the dac (which is why I’m looking for new converters in the first place). What interests me is if the sound of the adi fs differs from the pro version (tech specs aside). To my knowledge the chips in the adi fs and the pro version should be pretty similar, do you know if this is true?

I might just order one and see for myself, but would be great to have some info about the converter sound at hand first. The dac is so transparent and brilliant so was hoping the adi fs performs the same.

If you‘re sure the DAC sounds better, Pro or SE is for you.
FS would be the middle ground then.

Yes you’re probably right. There doesn’t seem to be many people reviewing or using the fs, would’ve been nice to hear some more about what people think of it.

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-03 20:14:52)

You already have experience with ADI-2 DAC.
What more could a random review unveil?

We are in the very fine detail’s differences terain, even more so with sample rates beyond 48 kHz.

Get both, FS, and Pro or 2/4 SE, test them and keep the one you like, I’d suggest.

If you wallet allows, the 2/4 Pro SE is the “do it all” unit.
The “Pro” is not far behind, as it’s PH 3/4 can fully serve as a Line Out to drive a mastering chain with no compromise in quality.

Yes I will probably do so, thanks for chatting with me!