Topic: Digiface USB to Ferrosfish Pulse 16 and AdI-2 Pro FS R BE w TotalMix

Since selling my old UFX, I created a Frankenstein interface. I finally got everything working perfectly, but I would love to be able to use the headphone out 3/4  in my control room in Totalmix. I can't seem to get this to work.

I'm in AD/DA mode on the ADI 2 ProFsr. Main speakers and windows audio are routed to ADAT 1/2 through ADAT 1 on my Digiface USB. ADAT 2 and 3 go to my Ferrofish. I have 1 more pair of ADAT I/Os. I used a convertor to go from ADAT 4 to Coax/SPDIF and it works when I select the source for headphones 3/4 to Spdif. The problem is that totalmix doesn't pick it up anywhere. It seems that everything goes out to ADAT 1/2 regardless of the source I set. Is that how it works in AD/DA mode? I don't want to go into USB mode.

any help?

2 (edited by waedi 2023-04-16 06:37:04)

Re: Digiface USB to Ferrosfish Pulse 16 and AdI-2 Pro FS R BE w TotalMix

Digiface :In Totalmix assign Phones 1 to ADAT 1/2 and play your music there.
ADI-2 : Disconnect the SPDIF, let the Adat toslink be the only input. Source for headphones 3/4 select Auto, the ADI picks up the one available signal from the ADAT, it is the Phones 1 in the controlroom of Totalmix.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Digiface :In Totalmix assign Phones 1 to ADAT 1/2 and play your music there.
ADI-2 : Disconnect the cinch SPDIF, let the Adat toslink be the only input. Source for headphones 3/4 select Auto, the ADI picks up the one available signal from the ADAT, it is the Phones 1 in the controlroom of Totalmix.

But I’m using that single Adat toslink for the main out 1/2 of the ADI-2. I thought the ADI -2 only uses the first two channels of any ADAT connection instead of eight.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-04-16 06:55:25)

I mean the only input of the ADI-2, the output is another thing.
Have you connected something analog to the ADI and you want to receive this signal in Totalmix ? It is on channels 1/2.

waedi wrote:

I mean the only input of the ADI-2, the output is another thing.
Have you connected something analog to the ADI and you want to receive this signal in Totalmix ?

The only things I have connected to the ADI was my main speakers. They are using the main outs 1/2. I monitor that signal in Totalmix through digiface usb in my control room main outs. I also have a synth in the input section of the ADI. That comes though Totalmix in the hardware inputs 1/2. So basically I’ve used up the toslinks area doing that. I was trying to use the breakout cables rca coax to access the headphone 3/4 output as a separate monitor control.

We’re you saying just use the input of that breakout cable and not the output?

Yes

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-16 11:33:48)

dazeja wrote:

... I was trying to use the breakout cables rca coax to access the headphone 3/4 output as a separate monitor control. ...

Look at the block diagram for AD/DA-Mode on manual page 38:
ADI-2 Pro’s Optical and Coax inputs can’t be used at the same time.

Try an adapter and plug the SPDIF Coax to ADI-2’s AES input.
Usually AES accepts the SPDIF signal.

Hint:
If you don‘t have an adapter Coax to XLR handy, two bent paperclips and a bit of tape can serve as provisional interconnects for testing.

Bend a flat U-shape that sticks into the XLR side.
Wrap one clip round the Coax center pin
Tape the other clip to RCA sleeve.

Link:
RCA center pin -> XLR female 2
RCA sleeve -> XLR female 3
XLR female 1 is left open.

KaiS wrote:
dazeja wrote:

... I was trying to use the breakout cables rca coax to access the headphone 3/4 output as a separate monitor control. ...

Hint:
If you don‘t have an adapter Coax to XLR handy, two bent paperclips and a bit of tape can serve as provisional interconnects for testing.

Link:

Oh, wow, I thought the diagram was saying that you had to 'select' either coax or optical for  the source on each DAC. I didn't know that you can only pick one. So the only way is to use AES?  That's a missed opportunity for the integration of TotalMix. Not all interfaces have AES and that Hosa converter is $250 bucks. Is there a cheaper converter?

9 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-17 07:21:25)

dazeja wrote:
KaiS wrote:
dazeja wrote:

Hint:

Link:

Oh, wow, I thought the diagram was saying that you had to 'select' either coax or optical for  the source on each DAC. I didn't know that you can only pick one. So the only way is to use AES?  That's a missed opportunity for the integration of TotalMix. Not all interfaces have AES and that Hosa converter is $250 bucks. Is there a cheaper converter?

Hey, read my above post again:

No converter necessary, smile, save your money.
AES and SPDIF Coax is similar enough that it usually works with just a simple cable adapter.

Try my 5 minutes hack “Paperclip Adapter” first.

Sometimes the Coax digital signal’s level (NOT the audio contained) is a bit too low to drive the AES, then you need this passive impedance/level transformer:
https://www.thomann.de/de/neutrik_naditbncmx.htm

https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/148519/9847201_800.jpg
and this to connect the RCA:

https://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_ada … rca_75.htm
https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/386365/11356982_800.jpg

I don't know guys. I've tried everything ,including forking over the $!50 for the Hosa 312.

No matter what source setting I use, Spdif, AES, etc. the output always sums to ADAT 1/2. I actually see the new input channel show up with a signal in Totalmix but when I try to route it to anything other than 1/2, I get nothing. THE Only way I get anything to go out is to send EVERYTHING to that new channel which defeats the purpose. I want to control 1/2 and 3/4 separately in Totalmix.  I don't think it's possible in AD/DA mode. No biggie, You can still adjust it from the unit and remote, I just wanted to see if it's possible in totalmix.

Not sure I understood this whole thing, but using two inputs with different signals to two different outputs miht require to set the ADI into multichannel mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Not sure I understood this whole thing, but using two inputs with different signals to two different outputs miht require to set the ADI into multichannel mode.

Basically wanted to monitor Headphones 3/4 out separately from Main 1/2 out in Totalmix. Digiface USB is my main interface and I use Adi-2 pro fs r as AD/DA converter.

I believe you are right. The only way to do this is in USB-Multichannel mode of which I don't want to do since the digiface usb has totalmix plus it controls all my other gear.

13 (edited by KaiS 2023-04-25 16:43:49)

dazeja wrote:

Basically wanted to monitor Headphones 3/4 out separately from Main 1/2 out in Totalmix. Digiface USB is my main interface and I use Adi-2 pro fs r as AD/DA converter.

You need to:

• Connect Digiface USB Out 1 via the Hosa Converter, to ADI-2’s AES in.
• Connect Digiface USB Out 2 to ADI-2 Optical In.
• Connect ADI-2 Optical Out to Digiface USB Optical In.

• The Digiface USB’s optical port #1 need to be set to SPDIF, not ADAT.

• Set ADI-2 to AD-DA Mode:
SETUP / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: AD/DA

Then in ADI-2’s I/O menus, select the digital inputs for 1/2 and 3/4:
• I/O / Main Out 1/2 / AD/DA Source: AES.
• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Source: Optical.

Now you should be able to address both ADI-2 outputs separately in your DAW and in Totalmix.

KaiS wrote:
dazeja wrote:

You need to:

• Connect Digiface USB Out 1 via the Hosa Converter, to ADI-2’s AES in.
• Connect Digiface USB Out 2 to ADI-2 Optical In.
• Connect ADI-2 Optical Out to Digiface USB Optical In.

• The Digiface USB’s optical port #1 need to be set to SPDIF, not ADAT.

• Set ADI-2 to AD-DA Mode:
SETUP / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: AD/DA

Then in ADI-2’s I/O menus, select the digital inputs for 1/2 and 3/4:
• I/O / Main Out 1/2 / AD/DA Source: AES.
• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Source: Optical.

Now you should be able to address both ADI-2 outputs separately in your DAW and in Totalmix.

Thank you!