Topic: Idea for a new feature in TM app

If I could wish a new feature for TotalMix, it would be split level meters on hardware input channels which become active as soon loopback is enabled. One part would still show the original signal of the input (which can be routed to other outputs as we know), the other part would show the loopback signal. In addition there would be some kind of indicator, for example an orange 'L' or 'LB' on top or bottom of the related level meter. I already saw many requests about 'not working inputs' or 'not working routings' (or even was confused myself) where at the end an accidentally activated loopback was the reason. Since the loopback button isn’t visible when the tools on a channel strip are closed, there is no other way to see if it’s activated or not.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

2 (edited by ramses 2023-05-05 11:46:55)

Re: Idea for a new feature in TM app

+1

Hi Oli, nice idea, I like it :-)

To save space and to not introduce too many additional meters I would
- show an orange LED if loopback is enabled on the corresponding HW output
- implement this LED on a field that can be toggled to show either the metering of HW input or of loopback
If you toogle to show loopback then change the name to show "Lo: <channel>"

Similar to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv7mtuppqifsdez/2023-05-05%20Loopback.jpg?dl=1

Colors and location ofc "discussable".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

+1

- implement this LED on a field that can be toggled to show either the metering of HW input or of loopback

Similar to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv7mtuppqifsdez/2023-05-05%20Loopback.jpg?dl=1

Even better!

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

4 (edited by ramses 2023-05-05 17:07:48)

Or only the LED when loopback is active
and then use the Name field (on the top of the channel) to toggle
incl. name change to "Lo: <channel>" if loopback is being shown.

I think then the LED can be implemented easier to show only "loopback active".

To modify the bigger Name field to act as a button/toggle (when loopback is activated) might be easier to implement.
And also from user perspective, easier to hit with the mouse to toggle the metering.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpuvpg7wcbary72/2023-05-05%20Loopback%20Variant%20B.jpg?dl=1

Background color might need some adjustment, too much "orange" and contrast too letter too low.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

+1

An indicator for loopback would indeed be very beneficial for the mentioned reasons.

An indicator for enabled loopback would be very nice.

Such an indicator alone? Oli proposed to be able to see also the metering of both, HW input and loopback signal.
Where I made the proposal to make it switchable to save space instead of having two meters for it.

Indicator plus metering would be great of course. Now one can not see if Loopback is enabled. You get a "hint" because the Tool-Icon of an output-channel gets orange, which can mean Loopback is on, but can also mean something else was changed for that output channel. So sure, all mentioned ideas would be helpful.

9 (edited by maggie33 2023-11-11 03:31:02)

oli77sch wrote:

If I could wish a new feature for TotalMix, it would be split level meters on hardware input channels which become active as soon loopback is enabled. One part would still show the original signal of the input (which can be routed to other outputs as we know), the other part would show the loopback signal. In addition there would be some kind of indicator, for example an orange 'L' or 'LB' on top or bottom of the related level meter. I already saw many requests about 'not working inputs' or 'not working routings' (or even was confused myself) where at the end an accidentally activated loopback was the reason. Since the loopback button isn’t visible when the tools on a channel strip are closed, there is no other way to see if it’s activated or not.

ramses wrote:

+1
Similar to this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv7mtuppqifsd … k.jpg?dl=1

If you set Loopback, the glowing Tool Icon on Outputs indicates that it is active... Nothing new so far...

What I just found out:
You can "activate" the glowing Tool Icon for Playbacks and Inputs, too. But only via OSC - on Page 2:
Just by switching from Outs to Playbacks and Inputs by activating the LB Button via OSC...

Have a look:

https://i.ibb.co/441nZQx/lb.png

PS: @MC: Bug or Feature? Just wondering...

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard