Topic: [Solved] Unable to adjust bass/treble on ADI-2 DACs

Hi @ll,

I hope you guys can help me out; my two ADI-2 DACs (one pre-, one post-upgrade, one with the AK4490, the other with the AK4493) work(ed) fine up to lately. BUT: As of this week I cannot adjust the bass/treble for the line out anymore, neither with the two knobs on the device, nor with the remote. And I am 100% sure it worked before, on both devices. No configuration changes have been made; one is connected to a Windows 10 box, the other to an iMac Pro, both via USB.

The knobs themselves work fine in any other function, they just don't change the b/t settings anymore.

Using the IEM out it works, just like before, and I cannot for the hell of me figure out why that is the case.

Does anyone else have resp. has anyone had this problem, too? Or what am I missing here, is this, maybe, some setting in the DAC that could potentially prevent this from working? But then again, I haven't changed anything (knowingly) lately in either of the devices.

Thanks for reading and best regards,

- Michael

Happily using two ADI-2 DACs to enjoy the best thing in life. ^^

Re: [Solved] Unable to adjust bass/treble on ADI-2 DACs

Of course configuration changes have been made. B/T is disabled in the corresponding channels. In the newer unit use the remote. In the older enter the channel menu and use encoder 2 for the B/T settings.

OR you have changed to a very high sample rate which disables these as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by m1k3 2020-07-02 14:34:32)

I thought I had something similar occurring. But it turned out to be that I had changed the device I connect to the USB input of the ADI-2 DAC. The new device (Lumin U1 Mini) showed in the Overview screen 768kHz when idle (i.e., not playing music) and B/T is disabled at that max sample rate as MC said. As soon as an audio signal was going through the Lumin over USB to the DAC I could change B/T again and the correct sample rate was shown.  Try changing the input to optical or coax and see if you can change B/T. If that works, try changing the sample rate output of Windows audio mixer or Mac Midi settings. The manual mentions which DSP functions are disabled as the sample rate approaches the max-capable rates. I hope that helps.

Thanks, MC & m1k3,

but again: No configuration changes have been made. Period. Seriously.
I think I would have had to make pretty specific changes on both devices, which are located 130 KM apart, pretty much at once, so to speak, and I REALLY am certain I would remember that. wink

I haven't touched the devices except to turn them on/off, change the volume and set resp. turn on/off the EQ. All at very different times. Now, both units stopped doing this, pretty much at once.

Both units work via USB from Windows, meaning the DACs receive 192 khz max, and I've already set both to 44.1 khz, with no change in behaviour.

What I DID lately, though, was to use both devices (one day apart from each other, though) on a borrowed iMac under Catalina and, with a test version of Audirvana, ran them via USB @ 768 khz (or something; the max bitrate) for shits & giggles - which worked fine, btw.
I haven't tried changing b/t in that scenario, though, and I cannot say whether b/t change didn't work immediately afterwards there, but it's possible that this stopped working from that time on...

The mac was connected to the DACs temporarily, and they're both running exclusively on Windows boxes again.
Is it possible this is some firmware bug? That, using the max bitrate once, now prevents setting b/t selectively using line out?

What I will try (and haven't before), though, is to take the DACs from the wall plug and see whether that "resets" something. I'll update this topic when I have a result. ^^

Thanks again & best regards,

- Michael

Are you aware that B/T is not EQ? B/T has its own settings. Please say that you checked the sample rate shown on the unit and then hit the B/T button on the remote to see if that turns it on.

If all fails simply load the factory setup, or reset the unit as described in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

thanks once more for the quick answer, but... yes, I am quite aware that b/t and EQ are two different things - was my description that ambiguous? yikes tongue

And yes, I wouldn't be so definite about the sample rate if I didn't check on that screen, too. wink

But here's the kicker: Under "I/O" -> "Bass/Treble" b/t was actually set to disabled - which is funny since I never use the remotes for anything, so they're sitting unused in a drawer all the time, and I definitely never have knowingly modified any such setting in that rather hidden sub menu, and on both devices at the same time at that.
Thanks for that tip with the remote, though, that would have remedied the problem, too. A factory reset would've been rather inconvenient, since I really wouldn't want to loose my stored EQ settings.

Oh, btw: Do you guys plan on implementing a way to store/restore those settings, via USB, maybe?

Best regards,

- Michael

This happened to me too. The solution to activate BT in my case was disabling linked Linked Double Volume.

Somehow I managed to accidentally activate Linked Double Volume and didn't notice, because I haven't used PH 3/4. But now I did, so I wanted to share.