Topic: noob question for ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Hi I am new. I just pulled trigger to order an ADI-2/4 Pro SE, but I am getting confused when reading the user manual.

"21.1 General
The rear TRS outputs, XLR outputs and the front outputs PH 1/2 are fed from the same DAC, hence carry the same signal - channels 1/2. They all have individual driver stages with different output levels, see next chapters for details."

From my understanding, the rear TRS were fed from Channel 1/2. How come in the rear picture, the TRS are labeled as 3/4?

https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/Converter/ADI-2-4-Pro-SE-C.png

2 (edited by ramses 2023-05-04 18:22:56)

Re: noob question for ADI-2/4 Pro SE

With the old design the line outputs were TS and coupled with the DAC/volume of the XLR output.
Now you have two independed outputs on the back XLR and TRS (now even balanced!).
It was a requirement from people who wanted e.g. to be able to feed a mastering chain with different volume / settings.
Then you use one DAC for 1/2 (XLR on the back) and the other - not for phones - but for 3/4 (TRS on the back).
AFAIK this is configurable.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I am not sure if I understood it right. Did you mean that I can choose either 1/2 or 3/4 to feed the rear TRS outs? If I choose 3/4, the volume control can be independent. I assume TRS 1/2 share the same volume control with xlr 1/2, right?

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-04 20:43:29)

melting735 wrote:

... I can choose either 1/2 or 3/4 to feed the rear TRS outs? If I choose 3/4, the volume control can be independent. I assume TRS 1/2 share the same volume control with xlr 1/2, right?

Exactly!

I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: has the options “Ph. 1/2“ or “Ph. 3/4”.

This is why the Rear TRS labeling is (3/4), in brackets.

KaiS wrote:
melting735 wrote:

... I can choose either 1/2 or 3/4 to feed the rear TRS outs? If I choose 3/4, the volume control can be independent. I assume TRS 1/2 share the same volume control with xlr 1/2, right?

Exactly!

I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings / Rear TRS Source: has the options “Ph. 1/2“ or “Ph. 3/4”.

This is why the Rear TRS labeling is (3/4), in brackets.

I see. Thank you a lot for the tips. I can't wait receiving my unit. I may keep asking more questions if I can't find answer in forum or the user manual. smile

6 (edited by Coffee 2023-05-07 01:45:28)

This is exactly the reason I got rid of my first ADI and bought the ADI 2/4, to use separate stereo outputs, but the manual is so confusing that I havent been able to set it up in over the month that I have had it. From what I can gleam, the same source that feed HP 3/4 feeds these TRS outputs on the back, but I have not had success configuring it to work that way.

EDIT

KaiS wrote:

It is incredible how simple this one sentence makes this and I am blown away it is not this concise in the manual. Wow.

I agree that the number of options can be overwhelming, specially if one is not too familiar with the device.

Maybe a table of all menu entries in the manual could help a bit to find some specific function at times.

This one is in the manual, page 27:

12.3 Phones Output 1/2 and 3/4

Rear TRS Source (only Phones Out 3/4)

Line 1/2, Phones 3/4. Default: Line 1/2. The rear TRS outputs can be switched from Line Out 1/2 to Phones 3/4 as source. See block diagram chapter 34.29. The settings of Phones Out 3/4 are then also active for TRS, including the Ref Level. The Line Ref Level +13 dBu is therefore not available.

8 (edited by rawac 2023-05-07 11:35:51)

KaiS wrote:

I agree that the number of options can be overwhelming, specially if one is not too familiar with the device.

Maybe a table of all menu entries in the manual could help a bit to find some specific function at times.

In my job, I often had to create tables for menus as a requirement for software developers, so I created a EXCEL table for my ADI-2 Pro FS (it contains a little German). It helped me a lot. Maybe it will also help someone else or as a suggestion to anyone to create own tables.

Here is a link to download the file: http://www.rawac.de/download/Menue_V5.zip
The ZIP file contains the EXCEL file. The Menu_V5.xlsx contains no macros, no basic commands, no hidden pages or other dangerous things.

For those interested without ECXEL viever, I also have a printout to PDF: http://www.rawac.de/download/Menue_V5.pdf

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

I'm now trying to get cables ready for rme adi-2/4 pro se arrival.

My plan is to feed my power amp with XLR outs and my sub with TRS outs. I would like to use balanced connection for these two devices because they will locate far away from RME. I can also do some crossover and EQs via these two different outs.

This leaving me a problem that I also need a set of unbalanced outputs to my headphone tube amp, Schiit Folksvagr. Option is that I can buy 1/4 TRS to dual RCA adaptors and use one of the front headphone output. I don't know if it's a bad idea because the specs of headphone outputs seem quite different from the rear outputs, such as output impedance. Is it going to lead to a downgrade of sound quality?

Do I have other options available?

10 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-08 12:27:48)

melting735 wrote:

...I also need a set of unbalanced outputs to my headphone tube amp, Schiit Folksvagr. Option is that I can buy 1/4 TRS to dual RCA adaptors and use one of the front headphone output. I don't know if it's a bad idea because the specs of headphone outputs seem quite different from the rear outputs, such as output impedance. Is it going to lead to a downgrade of sound quality?

It’s completely OK to use the PH 1/2, PH 3/4 TRS outputs as Line Out.
The audio quality is exactly the same, and nothing will break.

There are some options how to switch between speakers and phones:

— I’d suggest to use PH 1/2 for the Folksvangr (Volkswagen smile ).

Line Out 1/2 and Phones 1/2 have their own menu entries and full sets of parameters, like individual EQ and Level etc. - alternately, not at the same time of course.
These settings are memorized automatically.

You can then switch speakers/‘phones by:
• Plugging the PH 1/2 cable (not recommended with an amp connected).
• In the menu: SETUP / Options / Phones / Toggle PH/Line: “Ph 1/2”, or
• Assign this very function to a button on the Remote (recommended).

— Another method is using a stored “Setup” for each situation.
A Setup contains a complete device configuration, so you’re fully free how to configure ADI-2 for each situation.

Recalling Setups can be assigned to the Remote too.
This variant is fine once you’ve settled to certain use-cases, as changed parameters need to be actively stored to keep them.
In the experimental phase it’s un-handy.

— The final option is to sell the Folksvangr, use ADI-2’s excellent phones amp (OK - no tubes involved) and switch by plugging the ‘phones smile
Seriously - at least give ADI-2/4’s phones amp a try.

Thanks for your suggestions, KiaS. I will give everything a try except postponing the last option since my tube itch keep coming back and forth in the past smile

I will report back with my findings.