Topic: [Solved] New HDSPe MADI Out works, Red light IN even on loopback

New RME customer and first time poster.

Just picked up v2 of the HDSPe MADI (Windows 11) from Sweetwater, serial starting with 24.

MADI out works fine (sending it to an Avid System 5 Fusion board), but having trouble with MADI in. 
I had an engineer in for a week to help me commission the board and he couldn't figure out the MADI in to the PC issue either.

After he left I tried a Euphonix 713 converter standalone to MADI in and Still RED light.
I also tried loopback of the card to itself I'm still getting red light.

Steps I've taken.

• New firmware - left Apple setting unchecked

• Beta TotalMix

• Ran Compatibility troubleshooter to get TotalMix working - else it was just frozen and bounced master green every click

• Bought a used old MADI PCI card with PCI to PCIe adapter to try that route and got MADI out working - IN was Green but no Audio (did not try 713 converter direct)

Is my expectation correct that that loopback should produce a green light on MADI IN?   

Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated.

Re: [Solved] New HDSPe MADI Out works, Red light IN even on loopback

You opened the Settings dialog and selected the optical input? Also TM FX not working is a red flag. Which driver version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Case 2023-05-08 18:13:28)

I have TotalMix working sending MADI out over BNC. IN had a BNC cable connected and light is RED.
It shows version 1.81 under about.

I do not see any optical options in TotalMix Settings. 
Under TotalMix setting, I see Main Out section -> External Input. 

Should I set this to 31/32, which is what I'm trying to print back from the Console to the PC.

What threw me off is I thought loopback should make the light go green?

Latest driver version ... just installed from the website. I don't know where to confirm it though.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-05-08 18:47:30)

May you check with a cable loop test ? Connect BNC cable from Out to In and see in Totalmix if sent signal arrives on the input ?
The HDSP settings dialog (Hammerfall DSP Settings Dialog) should be checked for the correct sync settings, not Totalmix settings.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

AH!  OK, I was working in TotalMix settings.  Hammerfall DSP Settings were set to Optical.  That fixed it! 
I Cannot believe my engineer and I both missed that.  Too long of a week with too little sleep I guess.

Last question, in the new box there is a cable here with white end blocks in a bag with a green circle sticker on it with the number 142.  It looks like something that might plug into a PC fan power?  Do you have any idea what this cable is for?   I glanced through the manual but did not find anything on the purpose of this cable.

https://i.ibb.co/VDKXgM5/expansion-cable.png

Something like this ?

OK, let me try posting a pic of it ... see it?

I'm just guessing here but is this to get the PC audio from the motherboard to the card?  And then take the audio from the card to the PC using the current cable?

https://i.ibb.co/B3G17GH/rme-pic.png

8 (edited by waedi 2023-05-08 19:41:10)

No, the audio is coming to the interface card via PCIe slot where the card is plugged in.
That cable is for an expansions board, may be Wordclock module.

https://i.ibb.co/QNjC9SZ/cable.png

Ok, I pulled the card and installed the cable.

It's in a strange loopback configuration, the card to itself.  The daughter board does not have a connector.

Did I do this right?   I also just read the connections section of the manual for Word clock and it didn't mention this connection.

Is there an explanation somewhere?  Other than audio loopback this internal loopback connection on the card is a first for me. 

Do you know what it's for?

https://i.ibb.co/Xzw66vj/loopback.png
host an image free

No reason to do this. The cable is included for multi-card setups, and allows you to provide a connection for clock sync internally (rather than external with external Word Clock cables).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

OH, that's great for expandability.  Convenient as well.

The old PCI version 1.1.2 I have does not have that connector.  Must be a newer addition which is great as a multi-card setup would only need one daughter board in that case, per my understanding now. 

https://i.ibb.co/dkXZfv7/old-card.png
host an image free