Topic: Audio dropouts when using amp sims

I have Fireface UCX and M1 mac. I haven't had any sound dropouts until I got a neural dsp amp sim:

1. When I use external midi keyboard with kontakt and sound libs -> no dropouts, all fine
2. When I use amp sims with already recorded audio tracks -> no dropouts
3. When I use input 3 to connect my guitar, add an amp sim and enable monitoring (so I hear the sound from the amp sim) here's where dropouts start happening.

I tried using different latencies (up to 1024 samples) - no effect.
I used Ableton live as a host, as well as standalone amp sim plugin - dropouts present in both cases
I tried to use different amp sim (Tonex) and have the same issues.

This is how it sounds like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugiq55u506le7 … 1.wav?dl=0

Any thoughts how to fix it?

Re: Audio dropouts when using amp sims

Any thoughts anyone? Both UCX firmware and my MacOS are up to date,

3 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2023-05-07 23:30:59)

Hello!

On what Sample Rate does this happen? 88.2, 96, 192KHz?
I think that the Neural DSP Plug-ins have an OverSampling option. Did you try reducing that, as well?

Did you try with another DAW? Reaper, for example?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

And are these legit, registered plugins? Some add noise until they are bought.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, yes all registered.

I tried 44100 and 48000Hz (and different Buffer size options) - same issues. Also I tried to run them as a standalone plugins (without DAW) - this didn't help either.
I didn't see oversampling option there. Those plugin have just Sample rate and Buffer Size settings.

pashtett wrote:

I didn't see oversampling option there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAT0aT8OsI
If you check this link, around 1:21 mark, there is indeed an OverSampling Option, next to the Gate knob. That was what I had in mind, because I don't own any of their plugins. Perhaps, they removed it in later versions.

Apart from that, I have to say that I have no clue about Mac OS and cannot offer any special tweaks.
But some general troubleshooting, I can offer!

If you have your UCX connected using a hub, you should try connecting it directly to a Usb Port.
If you have lots of Usb peripherals, try disconnecting them, one by one, and check if the stutters stop.
You can, also, try different Usb ports!

I, also, saw that these plugins require an i-Lok. This might hinder the performance, too!
Do you have any other ampsims(that don't require i-Lok), that you could try? I 'm asking because you could try a test, without the i-Lok dongle.

If none of the above tests work out for you, you would have to wait for someone else 's reply, because I 'm out of ideas..!
At the moment, at least..! smile

MetalHeadKeys wrote:
pashtett wrote:

I didn't see oversampling option there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAT0aT8OsI
If you check this link, around 1:21 mark, there is indeed an OverSampling Option, next to the Gate knob. That was what I had in mind, because I don't own any of their plugins. Perhaps, they removed it in later versions.

Apart from that, I have to say that I have no clue about Mac OS and cannot offer any special tweaks.
But some general troubleshooting, I can offer!

If you have your UCX connected using a hub, you should try connecting it directly to a Usb Port.
If you have lots of Usb peripherals, try disconnecting them, one by one, and check if the stutters stop.
You can, also, try different Usb ports!

I, also, saw that these plugins require an i-Lok. This might hinder the performance, too!
Do you have any other ampsims(that don't require i-Lok), that you could try? I 'm asking because you could try a test, without the i-Lok dongle.

If none of the above tests work out for you, you would have to wait for someone else 's reply, because I 'm out of ideas..!
At the moment, at least..! smile

Thanks, oh my plugins do not have this control!
Thanks for the other bits of advice too. I'm thinking that the problem could be in my USB type-B to type-c cable that I use, since it's a quite cheap one. Are there any particular cable you'd recommend using?

Hello!
You 're welcome!!

pashtett wrote:

I'm thinking that the problem could be in my USB type-B to type-c cable that I use

I, just, use the stock cable that came with my DigiFace USB, so I don't have any particular brand to recommend.
But it's a good idea to get a new one, because there have been reports like that in the forum, where faulty Usb cables were causing dropouts!

Just don't overdo it with the price! No need to pay 100euros for a Usb cable! smile
20-50euros should be, just, fine!