Topic: UFXiii on MacOS Ventura M2Pro MacMini -- Dropouts

Hi there,

First of all thank you for releasing the new driver kit, v4.08!!
It's a huge improvement in stability with Ventura. (I had the computer crash a few times and lots of regular dropouts and clicks using 3.28a before.)

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing dropouts and CRC Errors from time to time. Following the manual, I've tried various ports on the Mac and different USB cables, both to the USB-A and the USB-C ports on the Mac. Some ports are clearly bad, others work for a while, sometimes hours on end; yet, then there's still dropouts, and sometimes the interface disconnects.

Is there anything else I can do to improve this?
The issue is: the Mac is being used for a sound installation that is scheduled to open on Saturday 5/13 and then run for 8h a day for 3 months. I chose to buy an RME interface because of their reliability - I've been an RME user since mid 2000s, and am a big fan! So this is a bit of a surprise disappointment, but I understand it might have more to do with the new Mac stuff.

Here is my setup::

Devices::
Fireface UFXIII
Firmware v20
Driver v4.08

Mac mini 2023
Apple M2 Pro, 32GB (memory)
OS Ventura 13.2.1

Using Reaper v6.79
Running at 96Khz
40 channel output (analog 1-8 and 9-40 via DA-M32 Madi)

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!
Daniel

Re: UFXiii on MacOS Ventura M2Pro MacMini -- Dropouts

Is that a typo? Current OS is 13.3.1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

it's what's installed on the Mac: OS Ventura 13.2.1
Should I update that? Does that make a difference?

It can indeed make a difference, so you should try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Did this help? I have similar problems. For me it helped to use the 3.28 driver (in combination with Mac OS 13.3.1)

6 (edited by dneumann 2023-05-13 00:05:32)

I updated to Mac OS 13.3.1 and it didn't make much of a difference as far as I can tell - still long periods without dropout error and other periods with quite a lot of them.

One further observation was: When I turn the Mac on first, wait until it's booted up and then turn on the UFX and M32DA there are almost no dropout errors; but when I turn the RMEs on first, and then the Mac it's much more unstable.

So I'll follow that on-sequence for the moment..