1 (edited by cowudders 2023-05-12 19:44:25)

Topic: general question about usb hubs & rme usb interfaces

As my new mac mini m2 pro only has 2 usb 3.1 ports it took me a while to straighten out my usb setup. i'm now running a digiface off a 7 port orico 3.2 rev2 hub and don't notice any difference to plugging it in a 'dedicated' port on the mac.

so, are there any downsides to using a hub in between, if the power requirements (the 224 mA are easily met according to the system report) are fullfilled?

(i'm using the 3.28A kext drivers)

thanks a lot!

DigifaceUSB/BabyfacePRO/MacMini M2Pro 12-core 32GB/Ventura/Logic/Reaper

Re: general question about usb hubs & rme usb interfaces

Hi
My Babyface pro works absolutely well over a passive (!) hub:
Mac mini M1 - USB-C port - hub with USB-A ports - Babyface pro.
There is even no power supply needed (I still wonder about that).
I can’t tell about differences, either it works or not …?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

3 (edited by cowudders 2023-05-13 21:46:09)

I sometimes had problems with some usb chains on my old mac pro and it nearly always had to do with too little power delivered to some device, which became unstable, therefore my first question.

ok, as i also have a bayface pro, i plugged it in additionally to my digiface (btw. my hub is also passive) - both seem to work ok?
the babyface pro only requires 100mA according to the system report, can this be true? i didn't connect any mics, but even switching phantom on/off does not make any difference, maybe this changes when the power is really needed?

The BF Pro draws the current mentioned in the tech specs of the user manual. The number you refer to is a USB descriptor that iOS and others reads out, and prevents any unit signalling more than 100 mA to work. The descriptor is the same when using an external PS or not, so we were forced to signal 100 mA.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by cowudders 2023-05-14 05:44:01)

MC wrote:

The BF Pro draws the current mentioned in the tech specs of the user manual. The number you refer to is a USB descriptor that iOS and others reads out, and prevents any unit signalling more than 100 mA to work. The descriptor is the same when using an external PS or not, so we were forced to signal 100 mA.

Interesting - so the BF Pro obviously uses much more.

 Power supply: USB bus power or external power supply
 Typical power consumption: 2.9 Watts
 Max. power consumption: 4.6 Watts
 Current at 5 V bus power operation: 600 mA (2.9 Watts)
 Current at 12 V external power: 240 mA (2.9 Watts)

when I first got it, i plugged it in into my macbook running on battery for testing and had quite some problems with stability, it went out and came back again, this might explain why. (The aftermarket battery in my MBP was also wrecked - suddenly only half of the charge was left and it went out suddenly ... had to be replaced, but maybe just bad timing). Running on the 60w poweradapter bus-powering the BF pro was no problem.

So you tell the OS it uses 100mA, because when you provide the real value, the OS will refuse to use it, because of theoretical power shortage on the usb bus?

Does the digiface report the correct value? i find this very eye-opening and interesting. i was very naive thinking, that there's something in the usb hardware in the computer, that really _measures_ the current  smile

I dont think something like that exists.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

cowudders wrote:

I sometimes had problems with some usb chains on my old mac pro and it nearly always had to do with too little power delivered to some device, which became unstable, therefore my first question.

I used my Babyface Pro FS also with a hub. I do not remember which one exactly. But I also had sometimes problems that I got pops or other un wanted sounds, especially when turning on phantom power. I then bought a TP-Link 7-port hub which offers three ports with three 1.5 A outputs. Since then I did not have any problems. The hub is "TP-Link USB 3.0 Micro B 7-Port Hub with 12V/2.5A Power Adapter".