Topic: USB latency

Hello forum,

does anybody have any experience with plugging a USB dac to a pci-e card, like this:
https://www.startech.com/en-it/cards-ad … exusb3s44v

any chance it may disrupt the music, e.g. cause dropouts, crackles, USB latency increase, etc. the usual deadly issues?

Re: USB latency

I have tested my ADI 2 Pro connected to such a PCI-E card with no negative effects at all.
It's even possible to connect the card first with a KVMP switch like ATEN 1924M and then with the ADI 2 Pro.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

sorry to revive an old thread.

I connected my ADI2 dac to a startech usb card. Subjectively, it seems to work fine but I see some errors in Windows event log.
I see the same error repeated exactly 3 times at every reboot (I guess because there's only one port in use in the card).
Should I be worried?

Log Name:      System
Source:        Application Popup
Event ID:      56
Level:         Error
Description: Driver PCI returned invalid ID for a child device (130000009243140800).

(130000009243140800 is the ID of the usb card)

Near-Zero information for troubleshooting.
OS? Mainboard? Which PCIe socket are you using? PCIe 2.0 x4 or comparable?

If you search for "Driver PCI returned invalid ID for a child device (130000009243140800)".
You find many hits with a list of possible reasons.

I would check whether you have an up-to-date BIOS, chipset drivers, drivers+firmware for the card.
Check Device Manager whether you see any conflicts.
Eventually, try different PCIe sockets if there are valid alternatives.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Near-Zero information for troubleshooting.

ramses wrote:

If you search for "Driver PCI returned invalid ID for a child device (130000009243140800)".

...you will find literally nothing smile

I intentionally didn't give details, because even if I did, it's unlikely they will be useful (I'm a low-level c++ developer with 25 years of experience, I know something about Windows...).
The error/event number is too specific. My only hope is to find someone who got the same card (or a similar multi-bus usb card) and see if they got the same error. I think someone in this thread mentioned they used it successfully, so that's the reason why I asked here.

6 (edited by ramses 2023-08-06 21:58:39)

Who knows whether you are experienced or not wink
I only see missing information and from what shall I know that it is even intentionally.
I know what you mean, this is the kind of error message that can be nothing or all.
But .. the majority of users does not have this issue.
So .. it would be interesting what system this is to get at least maybe an idea what to look for ...
Without any information, no concrete ideas .. also kind of vague, you know what I mean?

Besides the Windows error message … does the USB card work? Or do you experience any concrete issues with sound using ADI-2 Pro?

If I remember right I also tried this startech card, because I wanted a reserve card for my system
just in case the Sonnet card should get issues ... the one with the 4x FL1100 USB3 chips on it.
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 79334.html
Not sure, whether I had also issues or had other expectations of the card.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … mponenten/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by MatrixS2000 2023-08-06 21:48:12)

m.holmes wrote:

sorry to revive an old thread.

I connected my ADI2 dac to a startech usb card. Subjectively, it seems to work fine but I see some errors in Windows event log.
I see the same error repeated exactly 3 times at every reboot (I guess because there's only one port in use in the card).
Should I be worried?

Log Name:      System
Source:        Application Popup
Event ID:      56
Level:         Error
Description: Driver PCI returned invalid ID for a child device (130000009243140800).

(130000009243140800 is the ID of the usb card)

I use a similar card. Just run bit test.  If there is a problem, the test will fail.

MatrixS2000 wrote:

I use a similar card. Just run bit test.  If there is a problem, the test will fail.

Thanks for chiming in.
Yes, I already did that and in fact that's why I said that "apparently" everything works fine.

I'm more afraid of random system instability, e.g. random bluescreens.

ramses wrote:

Who knows whether you are experienced or not wink
I only see missing information and from what shall I know that it is even intentionally.

Point taken. And -side note- thanks for your moderation activity.

I've seen lots forums where details end up to be just a distraction. People provide TONS of details -without any selection upfront- and inevitably someone picks a random irrelevant item from the list and magnifies it 1000x:
"ah, you have your computer in a sunny room? that's just plain wrong, please change your entire house, rebuild it not less than 64 feet underground, then come back to us"
(to be fair, I don't see this happening in this forum, but I'm in the mood for mentioning anyway...)

Anyway, i understand you assume that "no detail" == "naive user", because that works 90% of the time. But not 100%.

ramses wrote:

Besides the Windows error message … does the USB card work? Or do you experience any concrete issues with sound using ADI-2 Pro?

yes. I wrote "Subjectively, it seems to work fine".
It passes the bit tests, just to name one.

My hypothesis is that I get 3 errors because I have 3 free ports.
I guess that the driver tries to initialize all the 4 ports (which are independent), it gets 3/4 errors and for some reason it lets these show out in the Event Viewer.

As soon as I find some USB storage to plug in, I'll reboot and see if only 2 errors show up.