Topic: UFX III driver stutter

After +10 years I decided to try RME again. Unfortunately I get stutters in Logic Pro. I thought I fixed it by increasing the buffer sizes but the session isn't even that big and I had lesser quality converters doing great.

The reason why it's the RME drivers is that the macbook M1pro doesn't do it on internal sound.

I hope this gets fixed soon. It's a waste of time and frustration when I push play it stutters to load and finally plays after awhile.
Something is going on with the RME buffers.

I have the latest Ventura OS and Logic update. Also latest RME driver. Tried USB2, USB3 and CC settings.

Any tips? (concerning RME driver settings)

Re: UFX III driver stutter

What is 'latest' driver?
v4.08?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Yes 4.08 and I even tried the 3.something version from begin May.

And have you tried different USB ports on the Mac? Different cables?
Is the Logic project stored on the internal drive?

You're not the first user reporting such an issue. I wonder what's behind it. I have a M1 Mac mini with Ventura 13.3.1 and tried three different RME interfaces, Babyface pro and Digiface USB on USB (of course) and Fireface 400 over adapters on Thunderbolt, all fine so far, also with different drivers. The Babyface pro even works fine on a passive hub (USB-C on computer - USB-A for devices). So I ask myself if there are similarities between all this systems causing issues. For example, I remember many years ago there were users reporting audio issues on Mac (not related to RME interfaces) and they all had file vault activated causing it (it was the time of PowerPC processors and slow hard drives ...).

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

similar issues here as well :-/

Hi, I had a similar issue with my UFX III on the 4.08(B) driver. Found it only started happening after a few minutes of watching video/youtube, not intensive audio/DAW work, and in some instances I had a warning popup saying I'd run out of system memory and had to close some apps. (I'm running macOS 11.7.6, 2020 Mac mini M1 w/ 16GB RAM. Would prefer to stay running macOS 11 if possible.)

Rolled back to 3.28(B) and haven't had the issue since. Following this thread closely.

I also rolled back to 3.28(B) from 4.08(B) because Studio One was showing cpu spikes periodically and there would be audio clicks.

On 3.28(B) I've had no issues. Last night I tracked a full band for the first time using the UFX III and all went perfectly. Today I had two musicians tracking all day, also no issues and no reboot from yesterday.

Apple Mac Studio M1 Max, Sonoma, RME UFX III, 12Mic, Pulse 16 MX, Softube Console 1, Studio One 6

I installed 4.08 again. I tried many things like the other included usb cable, turn of file vault, removed ARC etc... nothing worked.

At the moment I fixed it for this session because:
I put the 'Process Buffer Range' in Logic Pro settings at small. I increased it to Large some sessions ago because the RME was giving hiccups and stutters (again with a small session) and even at to put the I/O buffer size to high because I couldn't play the song with atleast a hiccup somewhere.

If I'm playing a song and go to a website in the background for example , when I close that window the audio stutters sometime. My system audio is using internal speakers not the RME. Only Logic uses it.
So I wouldn't say it is completely fixed because internal audio including the Large buffer range works flawlessly and the RME doesn't.

I will update if it happens again. I was about to sell the RME again. It stays for a bit longer at least.