Topic: Digiface Not Locking with Neve DPD

Hi,

I have searched and can't find a solution. Any help much appreciated!

I want to use my Neve DPD as the master clock and also use its converters. The digital outputs on the Neve are AES and WC.
For years i used a Fireface 800 to do this, but with a change in workflow i now only need digital ins and outs, so i bought a DigiFace.

To get from the Neve to the Digiface i am using one of these  https://www.studiospares.com/studiospar … 465760.htm  (Studiospares Red507) and all appropriate cables.

Is this the right thing to be using?

I am getting audio from the Neve but with clicks and pops and the "Spdif" flashes between "Lock" and "No Lock"

I can get the clock to sync. I am running the wordclock from the Neve via BNC to an SSL Alpha Link, then from the Alpha Link via ADAT to the Digiface. This all works great and the SSL is syncing and sending but i cannot get clean audio from the Neve.

With the Neve as master clock, i'm presuming i don't need to feed anything back to the Neve?

Have i bought the wrong AES converter?

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, just trying to be as clear as possible:)

Cheers!

Re: Digiface Not Locking with Neve DPD

Is that the Digiface USB? Is it set to optical input as Clock Source?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey MC,
Yes digiface USB and optical input is the clock source.

Hello!

What sample rate are you using? Because the accepted sample rates of the RED507 are: 44.1KHz & 48kHz

If you 're not using higher sample rate, have you tried with a different optical cable?
Also, is the aes cable of the right impendance? 110 Ohm?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

48khz

i have tried all different optical cables and i have 2 brand new AES cables @110 ohms hmm

Do you think that is the right aes converter to use?

A little off topic.
I also have a DPD and am wondering why it's getting so very hot on the right down side.
Do you have enough space, or cooling so that the converter is working alright?
I once had it in a rack and it got so hot that it dropped out.
I always use the RME clock of the Fireface UFX + via WC cable.
That always worked good as long as the DPD is not getting too hot.

btw
Do you know that the DPD Konverter has an extra latency of 31 samples?

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

they do get very hot!
I had problems before with that but since then i have it racked with space around it and ventilation.

The clock is working fine. I am sending the clock via BNC to an ssl alpha link, then via ADAT to the RME. That all syncs great.

But for some reason the audio from the Neve via spdif will not lock

Didn't know about the latency... will check it out.

I think Neve clock is great, my SSL Alpha sounds better when the Neve is the master clock.
The converters sound great too... when they work:)

8 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-02-05 16:56:15)

bigvegetables wrote:

48khz

i have tried all different optical cables and i have 2 brand new AES cables @110 ohms hmm

Do you think that is the right aes converter to use?

I can't see any obvious reason why it might not be right to use. The only thing, that I can think of, is that maybe its optical signal isn't that strong.
You can compare it to the DF's signal, by using a piece of paper and have the two cables next to each-other.
One from (one of) the DF's Out(s), one from the Red507, projecting on the piece of paper.

Apart from that, the extra latency that cigame mentioned, might also have something to do with the clicks and pops.
Does this happen with every buffer setting on the DF Usb, or only with the lower ones?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

9 (edited by TomVY 2023-05-16 22:58:11)

Did you ever solve this issue? I have a Neve 1073 DPD and am looking to use a Red 507 with it.

I did.. finally!
I tried two of the studio spares boxes and neither of them worked. Don't buy one.

I went for a l"Lindy - Coax to toslink" box in the end. I have used it every day since and my set up hasn't skipped a beat.

My set up is Neve DPD (Master clock, 2 pre's and 2 A/D converters) running along side an SSL Alpha Link (24 Channels AD/DA) into an RME Digiface USB interface then into computer via one USB cable

Hope that helps!

Yea that definitely helps. So if I use an AES (XLR) to spdif (coax) cable from the Neve to the Lindy it should work? No need for Neutrik AES to spdif adapter? Thx

Not sure why in the Lindy converter technical information it says frequency response +/- 0.5 dB and s/n ratio -142 dB. Isn't it a lossless conversion?

-142 dB is a typical value when measuring 24 bit digital. Some marketing smartass at work...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just purchased a Hosa odl-312 from eBay for £70, but I'm also going to get the Lindy. Just want to try both, as one might be better. Then I'll just sell the one I don't need.

I have the Lindy. As far I can tell, the signal passes thru untouched. With another similar box by Fostex I did a loop test once. After recording the signal again in the DAW I did a null test. Result: it cancelled completely out, original and copy were 100% the same.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

16 (edited by TomVY 2023-05-20 15:26:30)

Yea, I just thought having the Hosa one gives simultaneous bi-direction, which I don't need, but it's useful to have in case I do need it sometime. I also want to see if either one can work at 192k, although I probably will never use that smile. I'm hoping they both give the same result, but then I'm not sure which I'll keep smile

Edit: Also, Studiospares told me that their converter uses a different chip since 2021 and it only does upto 48k, whereas before it did 96k. But Bigvegetables couldn't get that to work anyway, so I discarded that idea.