Topic: [Solved] Fireface 800 suddenly freezes Windows 10 after Office update

Hi,

Had a strange issue this morning. Cubase suddenly froze and would not respond. I re-started the PC and after a very short while after logging in the mouse would freeze and nothing would respond.

After several re-starts, the only way to keep the PC working was to keep the Fireface 800 switched off.
As soon as I switch it on, the PC locks up and won't respond to anything, not even CTRL, ALT + DEL.

The only change I can see is there was a Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 update 16.016327.20214 today, 28/04/2023

I have the latest drivers and firmware for the unit and it is connected by firewire. Without this, I can't do my job, so I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has had the same issue or whether it is just my machine.

Re: [Solved] Fireface 800 suddenly freezes Windows 10 after Office update

And what is the exact Windows version? Win 10 Pro 22H2? What driver and firmware do you use with FF800?
As FW isn't supported anymore in Win10, which driver do you use?
The old "regular" Win10 driver or the Win10 legacy driver?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
OS Build 19044.2846

RME Fireface driver = 3.1.25.0

I have a firewire card installed Lycom PE-107 PCI-e Firewire 800.

I wasn't aware FW wasn't supported in W10.

I would expect the FF800 itself to be defective, and not related to the latest updates. Old stuff breaks at one point, unavoidably. The only way to check this is to use it with a different computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'll just reply to this to close the topic and explain the problem I found, in case anyone else has the same issue as me.

I had activated the Steinberg Audio Power Scheme in Cubase.

For what ever reason, this was killing the Fireface and freezing Windows.

Disabling this and going back into the Windows Power options and changing to it's original choice has fixed the issue and the Fireface has been happily working ever since.

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME