Topic: RME bface (original) cable to USB-C

Hi,

a small question but one that I can't find a reliable answer to.

I have a bface (original version) & want to use it with an M1 & M2 mac. I know I can get a usb-usb-c adaptor but is there a good quality, available in the UK cable to usb-c to simply replace the original one that came with the bface, that will provide the same results?

It's the same question for a number of other devices such as controllers etc. Lots of adaptors out there (or various quality) but not much discussion of replacement cables.

Thanks.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-05-22 14:21:31)

Re: RME bface (original) cable to USB-C

I use cheapest cables and have no issue.
https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/de … el-5639178
Not much to loose, if a cable don't work, send back for exchange or refund is done quick.
The RME-shop also offers such cables :
https://www.rme-shop.com/cgi-bin/sh0018 … ml#SID=113

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

It’s still USB, only the form factor of the plug changes, there are no active electronics needed as on FireWire to Thunderbolt adapters or such.
Personally I would go not for cheapest cables but something 'mid-range'.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

thanks for the replies.

As thunderbolt is faster than standard USB-C are there any specific cables from USB-B to thunderbolt that are suggested? I guess the reply above seems to imply that USB-C cables will power the Bface ok when connected to a thunderbolt port anyway?

5 (edited by oli77sch 2023-05-24 07:37:25)

The Babyface has USB 2.0 (which is far more than enough bandwidth for this channel amount), neither the cable nor the port on the computer changes something on that fact, it’s not 'faster' on a Thunderbolt compatible port. USB 2.0 is the protocol with this interface, USB-C is the form factor of the port on the computer. The controller behind this port can be compatible to different USB standards as well as to Thunderbolt standard (a different protocol).
Powering the Babyface is fine anyway on USB-C ports.

thanks. Apologies - I had some memory fog after a bout in hospital so I'm finding some quite simple things strangely hard to grasp at times.

So, in the UK all the cables I can find that go from USB 2.0 to USB-C (for macs) are described as for printers. Is this simply because that is what they are often used for or are they somehow different? Basically are all USB 2.0 cables the same?

With the cable that came with the B/face it has a split cable, with 2 usb's - the 2nd for when more power is needed. I have needed to do that a few times (can't remember why) but given that I can't find a USB 2 to USB-C split cable, how is that handled if needed?

apologies for these basic questions.

You could probably combine it with a split cable, but most likely it won't be needed at all.
Essentially, USB2 cables are the same, yes.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

thanks.

Can I ask another question as I prepare for sorting out the B/face with an M1 mac?  Which of the drivers do I need from this page;

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads.html

I assume the 2nd one on the list?

thanks.

You'll need to update firmware first, as described in the link on top of the list, then you can also use the 4.08 driver.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks. So, that's both on this page;
https://rme-audio.de/driverkit-info.html.

Going back to the original question, I'm still a bit confused as to the USB-C / Thunderbolt aspect. I can find lots of cables to USB-C & a few to Thunderbolt but most then say, in the small print, they're only USB-C speeds. Can I clarify that there is no benefit to using a USB-2 to Thunderbolt cable over one to USB-C?

Thanks.

The Babyface is a USB 2.0 device. It does not even use anywhere near the full bandwidth (not "speed") of USB 2.0, even will all channels... There is nothing to benefit from connecting to USB-C in terms of "speed". And it can not connect to Thunderbolt directly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the reply but i'm now more confused. You say the B/face can't be connected directly to Thunderbolt but the M1/M2 macs only have Thunderbolt inputs.

No, this is Thunderbolt/USB-C.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

jez wrote:

Thanks for the reply but i'm now more confused. You say the B/face can't be connected directly to Thunderbolt but the M1/M2 macs only have Thunderbolt inputs.

Please read again my reply above, entry nr. 5, it’s already answered there!

Yes oli77sch, that is why the later reply from RME support confused me because it stated 'And it can not connect to Thunderbolt directly'. I still don't understand what is being said. M1/M2 macs have Thunderbolt ports that are compatible with USB-C (as far as I know all Thunderbolt ports are) & earlier replies indicated that a USB 2.0 to USB-C cable would work, but then RME support said it can't be connected directly to Thunderbolt.

jez wrote:

Yes oli77sch, that is why the later reply from RME support confused me because it stated 'And it can not connect to Thunderbolt directly'. I still don't understand what is being said. M1/M2 macs have Thunderbolt ports that are compatible with USB-C (as far as I know all Thunderbolt ports are) & earlier replies indicated that a USB 2.0 to USB-C cable would work, but then RME support said it can't be connected directly to Thunderbolt.

That’s indeed confusing and I’m absolutely with you concerning the Thunderbolt/USB-C port.
Maybe the reply from RME support was more meant as 'it cannot be connected to the Thunderbolt system and profit from higher bandwidth (or such)'…?
I can ensure you, on my M1 Mac mini all my USB devices (including Babyface pro) work well over a passive hub which has USB-C on computer side and four USB-A ports for the devices.

Thanks oli77sch.  Hubs! that's another question. Lots of the market (UK) but its quite hard to find any that don't get mixed reviews at best (apart from the expensive Apple official ones that you need several different ones of of course).

Thunderbolt and USB-C are not the same. The BF can not connect to Thunderbolt, it connects to USB-C. The ports on these newer Macs do both, but that does not apply to every TB port, like on older Macs.
You were also talking about a difference between "USB-2 to Thunderbolt cable" and "one to USB-C", and I don't think the former exists, that would be a hub/adapter.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Can I ask what you mean by 'older macs'? As far as I know all Macs with thunderbolt ports are also USB-C ports.

jez wrote:

Can I ask what you mean by 'older macs'? As far as I know all Macs with thunderbolt ports are also USB-C ports.

Thunderbolt 1 or 2 ports, they have another form factor, the same as mini display port. My 2012 MacBook pro has one for example.

Thanks again for the replies. I'm still finding it tricky to find one of these available in the UK that has the same specs (3A?). Basically all the ones I can find don't bother mention A specs so I have no idea if they'll work with the RME, as I assume the cable being 3A is important if RME list that spec?

https://www.rme-shop.com/cgi-bin/sh0018 … ml#SID=113