Topic: Babyface gen1 in CC with OctaMic II, proper connection and usage

Hello,

how should I connect Babyface 1st gen., in class-compliant mode, with OctaMic II?

As I don't see any other option, my guess is just use the single main OctaMic ADAT out and the BF will sync to it as slave automatically, and will be usable only at the sample rate chosen by hardware switches on the back of OctaMic. So I shouldn't be able to change BF's sample rate in the app on host device.
Am I right?

Best regards.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-05-25 09:14:53)

Re: Babyface gen1 in CC with OctaMic II, proper connection and usage

Yes
You can technically change the sample rate of the Babyface from the App (DAW) but as the samplerate of the Octamic is set by hand and not possible to change from outside you have to follow that Octamic samplerate and set all following devices and software to this samplerate.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yes that’s right, and sadly not that ideal for applications on iOS devices (if it’s what you want to do?)

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

4 (edited by cupakm 2023-05-25 11:29:19)

Thanks for the answers. So it is as I supposed.

I'm using CC mode under Linux and Ardour DAW. I suppose the JACK audio server or ALSA capture just wouldn't start while trying to clock BF to other than what OctaMic hardware switches say. But it won't be much of an issue.
On the other side I agree it is somewhat sub-optimal and an interface with WC-out going to OctaMic would be nicer.

Currently we could only dream of OctaMic XTCs, sadly they're not available... that one has an ADAT input too, hence would sync itself as a slave to BF. (And digitally controlled gains, which would also far more practical for my stereo pairs.)