Topic: Any news on RME DPS-2

It's way pass its release date, has DPS-2 been cancelled?
And if it's not, what's the release window and MSRP?

Re: Any news on RME DPS-2

I am currently checking the final sample. It's much delayed, unfortunately, but has become even better with specs and extra features.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I am currently checking the final sample. It's much delayed, unfortunately, but has become even better with specs and extra features.

Oh cool, any word on price?

I am picking up my ADI-2/4 Pro SE tomorrow, and I am REALLY excited about this PSU!

Any news on when we can expect any news? big_smile haha

I would like an update on it as well...

The DPS-2 should be presented and start shipping at the Munich Hi-End show. Together with the other two power supplies, the LNI-2 PS and LNI-2 DC. Details will be released then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The DPS-2 should be presented and start shipping at the Munich Hi-End show. Together with the other two power supplies, the LNI-2 PS and LNI-2 DC. Details will be released then.

Thanks MC, I'm looking forward to it!

MC wrote:

Maybe:
Standby operation only with the switched-mode power supply due to Directive (EC) No 278/2009.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content … 32009R0278

Automatic switching on of the linear power supply unit (transformer) via the load request. The current mains voltage (115 or 230 volts AC) is automatically taken into account (bistable relay).

Housing as for ADI-2/4 PRO SE, so that extensions (battery, ...) can be installed later.

Like probably others, I am surprised that RME now wants to build a DPS-2 power supply in series:

" ... Therefore the ADI-2 ... achieves its technical specs even with less optimal power supplies. Or in other words: the choice of power supply is not critical."
User’s Guide ADI-2 DAC v3.1, page 10
User’s Guide ADI-2 Pro FS R - v 3.7, page 11
User’s Guide ADI-2/4 Pro SE - v 1.2, page 11

MC
2018-06-14 05:16:34
Re: iFi Audio Accessory iPower 12V/1.8A
"Technically the only improvement you could get is through perfect galvanic isolation to prevent AC leakage currents, a typical side-effect of switching power supplies. A linear one will not show that phenomenom. BUT the effect (if it shows up at all, simple grounding already removes it completely) is nothing more than a low level hum at around -130 dB. Not audible, and not causing mysterious jitter effects or similar which could change the 'sound' as such."
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 18#p131918

amirm
Jun 2, 2019
Review and Measurements of the HDPlex 200W Supply
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … pply.7713/

If someone uses the ADI-2 DAC / PRO only for listening and is not able, for example, to determine whether the SPDIF cable is good or bad, they don't need the DPS-2.
If someone uses the ADI-2 DAC / PRO - especially the ADI-2/4 PRO SE in RIAA mode - for measuring, DPS-2 probably has advantages in the area of background noise.

RME should promote a DSP-2 only for measurement use, so that some people don't remember the negative business model of e.g. CYRUS (PSX-R, PSU-XR) ... Of course, RME will not be able to exclude that there are some people who buy a DSP-2 for better listening.

Interesting spectral analyses of the output voltages of a power supply unit at +12 V, 1 A top or +12 V, 0.1 A bottom (errors in the text, but diagrams are correctly labelled) in comparison with the spectral analyses of the DSP-2 soon to be presented.
https://funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/PWS-08 … ch-600.pdf

weme wrote:
MC wrote:

Maybe:
Standby operation only with the switched-mode power supply due to Directive (EC) No 278/2009.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content … 32009R0278

Automatic switching on of the linear power supply unit (transformer) via the load request. The current mains voltage (115 or 230 volts AC) is automatically taken into account (bistable relay).

Housing as for ADI-2/4 PRO SE, so that extensions (battery, ...) can be installed later.

Like probably others, I am surprised that RME now wants to build a DPS-2 power supply in series:

" ... Therefore the ADI-2 ... achieves its technical specs even with less optimal power supplies. Or in other words: the choice of power supply is not critical."
User’s Guide ADI-2 DAC v3.1, page 10
User’s Guide ADI-2 Pro FS R - v 3.7, page 11
User’s Guide ADI-2/4 Pro SE - v 1.2, page 11

MC
2018-06-14 05:16:34
Re: iFi Audio Accessory iPower 12V/1.8A
"Technically the only improvement you could get is through perfect galvanic isolation to prevent AC leakage currents, a typical side-effect of switching power supplies. A linear one will not show that phenomenom. BUT the effect (if it shows up at all, simple grounding already removes it completely) is nothing more than a low level hum at around -130 dB. Not audible, and not causing mysterious jitter effects or similar which could change the 'sound' as such."
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 18#p131918

amirm
Jun 2, 2019
Review and Measurements of the HDPlex 200W Supply
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … pply.7713/

If someone uses the ADI-2 DAC / PRO only for listening and is not able, for example, to determine whether the SPDIF cable is good or bad, they don't need the DPS-2.
If someone uses the ADI-2 DAC / PRO - especially the ADI-2/4 PRO SE in RIAA mode - for measuring, DPS-2 probably has advantages in the area of background noise.

RME should promote a DSP-2 only for measurement use, so that some people don't remember the negative business model of e.g. CYRUS (PSX-R, PSU-XR) ... Of course, RME will not be able to exclude that there are some people who buy a DSP-2 for better listening.

Interesting spectral analyses of the output voltages of a power supply unit at +12 V, 1 A top or +12 V, 0.1 A bottom (errors in the text, but diagrams are correctly labelled) in comparison with the spectral analyses of the DSP-2 soon to be presented.
https://funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/PWS-08 … ch-600.pdf

I'm going to maybe (depending on the price) get rme psu or fiio pl50 because my original psu got damaged in transport (the case has an crack in it), it still works and measures like stock though, I'm just not comfortable to continue using it.

MC wrote:

Nice, thank you! smile

See you at Munich then. wink

It's probably too late to say this, but if any of your PSUs could provide 5v dc to power pi2aes alongside the rme dac that would be awesome.

Will the DPS-2 (or the LNI) power supplies be compatible with the ADI 2 Dac FS (sounds like the DPS might be?), and could you expect any improvement in sound quality from using them?

The PS can be used with any of our units. And no, there is no difference in sound.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Why should one add then this box to the system?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Also curious about that PSU. I wanted to get another PSU but as soon as I heard RME is releasing one, I'm now waiting for it.
Hoping for sound improvements though in the DSD domain especially, since there is still some "edge" to the sound.

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

Why should one add then this box to the system?

Cause some people will hear a difference big_smile

MC wrote:

The PS can be used with any of our units. And no, there is no difference in sound.

I don't really understand the purpose of these PSUs, then...but I very much admire your honesty smile

Surface PC, Node streamer, RME ADI 2 FS, Megatron tube amp, Stax x9000s, basic cables

Aspirant Audiophile wrote:
MC wrote:

I don't really understand the purpose of these PSUs, then...but I very much admire your honesty smile

reparability, and reliability pretty much, switch mode psu's performance gets worse as the caps in them age and they aren't very reparable since you have to destroy the case to open them, those psus can also be used with non rme products where they might make a difference.

MC wrote:

Munich high end is over; any updates on the topic?

Radio silence...

Maybe they had some good feedback at Munich and are busy further improving the product!

I visited RME at Munich High End and they told me that it would take more time due to availability of spare parts. Apparently there will be different PSUs and the price span will also be big sad smile
I probably do not need it but somehow I want it...

kili wrote:

I probably do not need it but somehow I want it...

I feel you here!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Yeah, any news on this RME?

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

MC wrote:

Any news on the power supplies?

Wondering about this too!

MC wrote:

Complete radio silence after munich show?

Please give us an update.

28 (edited by KaiS 2023-11-26 13:44:38)

@MC

Could you please give an overview about the currently available ADI-2 PSU’s, and there markings for identification?

Is there a change in the latest ADI-2 DAC / Pro deliveries to the new style 3-prong ADI-2/4 Pro SE PSU?
Can this one be ordered from RME?

On occasion of another thread here I found these informations are missing, even Google didn’t reveal anything useful.

Looks like project is parking

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Johannes AU wrote:
May be something under development.
https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/ser … 41063.html

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A

I've put the PSU DPS-2 on my wish list for Father Christmas this year.

I'm afraid I'll only get one pair of socks. hmm

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

32 (edited by Steff 2023-12-17 19:12:22)

rawac wrote:

May be those pair of socks are more usefull than a linear power supply for your RME.

The good feeling is important. Sometimes the most important. ;-)

If I understand it well, PSU may improve precise measurements using interfaces....

Steff wrote:
rawac wrote:

May be those pair of socks are more usefull than a linear power supply for your RME.

cool

I would have bought an option with an official battery pack to power my adi-2 fs dac. Would have been perfect for easy use at different places in the house and garden. Oh, and add a USB power output that could be used simultaneously also:-)

yapp wrote:

I would have bought an option with an official battery pack to power my adi-2 fs dac. Would have been perfect for easy use at different places in the house and garden. Oh, and add a USB power output that could be used simultaneously also:-)

There are power banks available with 12 V AND standard USB outputs.

My current favorite (but not audiophile, though):

https://www.amazon.de/SWAREY-Powerstati … 09MNDJL1F/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This LPS for around 100€ looks pretty good to me:
https://de.aliexpress.com/i/1005002753256975.html

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

39 (edited by KaiS 2023-12-21 01:05:09)

Wow, if you like to burn the house down after getting electrocuted.

Unfused, metal case but missing safety ground, and do you see the flimsy, blank wires connecting the power switch in the 6th photo.

Plus - how do you know this thing has any advantage over the standard PSU?

Thanks KaiS. Missing any kind of certification plus you never acess the manufacturer for compensation of the burned down house add to this. wink

The DPS-2 and the LNI-2 DC will be annouced officially soon and available soon as well. Development and final manufacturing took much longer than expected, but the final products are worth their price and true RME in any way. Which also means they are not cheap, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry, somehow the link was screwed up.
This is the LPS I was referring to, which obviously comes with a fuse and connected PE:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050015 … pt=glo2deu

Anyway, now we finally got the answer from RME ;-)

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

MC wrote:

The DPS-2 and the LNI-2 DC will be annouced officially soon and available soon as well. Development and final manufacturing took much longer than expected, but the final products are worth their price and true RME in any way.

sorry to chime in on an old topic... can I ask what's the difference between DPS2 and the two LNI2?

MC wrote:

Which also means they are not cheap, sorry.

I don't see why it should be a problem wink
Personally, I'm happy to buy some peace of mind...

TTT...interested in any update on the launch of the DPS-2 and LNI-2.

Cheers!

44 (edited by jmimac351 2024-01-31 06:38:05)

MC wrote:

Jason Stoddard at Schiit Audio has addressed the question of using a linear power supply with some of their equipment, via the FAQ for one of their DACs:

"Well, I’m gonna get me a fancy-shmantzy linear power supply, what do you think about that?"
We think you’re a little strange, because the output of that fancy power supply is going into a switcher, anyway. But if it makes you happy, we’re not going to stop you. Nor will we try to sell you such a power supply.

==========

I think I recall reading in the manual for my ADI-2 DAC FS that there is a switching supply inside... such that the same issue exists...what good is a linear power supply going to do when it's going to meet an internal switcher INSIDE the equipment?

Specifically: Using a linear power supply with a device that has an internal switching supply is pointless, why bother?

Question: Is that what is going on here?  Is this new linear power supply pointless in terms of "improving sound quality"?  Is it being made for the purpose of placating those customers who insist on having a linear power supply? 

Apologies if I'm (probably) completely ignorant regarding the necessity, effectiveness, or purpose of the linear power supply.

Ps: My ADI-2 DAC FS is on its way to replacing a $12,000 preamp in my home audio setup.  A friend with "very expensive" gear has found the same... we both love the device and hope continued development for "home audio" products continues. 

Thank you for making the ADI-2 DAC FS!

45 (edited by Auratus 2024-02-01 05:49:24)

I like to get rid of all typical "wall wart" 5 dollar power supplies on expensive audio equipment whenever I can as they are usually cheaply made,  have a tendency to be noisy in an electromagnetic sense (the worst ones may audibly buzz) which can introduce noise into adjacent unshielded devices and signal wiring, and are awkwardly shaped/weighted and tend to fall on the floor from whatever surface they are placed on.  The power supplies from RME probably don't fall into the first two categories, but they do fall into the third.  I would not question their claims that there is very little/nothing to gain in terms of audio quality from the DAC/line outs with respect to switching from their switch mode power supply to linear power supply from an engineering standpoint.  That being said, for those of us that are more enthusiasts than professionals, we are always going to chase diminishing returns, real or imagined.

46 (edited by jmimac351 2024-02-01 06:50:14)

One thing I am currently experiencing with the ADI-2 DAC FS... with my Ayre Acoustics VX-5 Twenty amp "ON", and the ADI-2 DAC FS "OFF"... there is a slight hum thru the speakers.  That is via Balanced cables.  That is the only time I've ever experienced hum thru my Ayre gear. 

All of the gear is plugged into an Equi=Tech 1.5Q... "Balanced Power".  No idea how / whether that has anything to do with the ADI-2, but I have other switched power supplies in use that don't create hum. 

Not sure what's "not happy" in the system when the ADI-2 DAC is "OFF", plugged in, and connected to am amplifier that is "ON".  When the ADI-2 DAC is "ON", it's fairly quiet.  It's not as quiet as my Ayre Acoustics KX-5 Twenty preamp, but it's not an "issue".

"Balanced Power":

https://equitech.com/what-is-balanced-power/

Equi=Tech Model Q:
https://web.archive.org/web/20041105234 … modelq.pdf

One thing that just occurred to me is that I think I may have the ADI-2 plugged into one of the "Analog" outlets on the 1.5Q.  There are outlets noted for "Digital".  No idea if that will make a difference, but I'll give it a try and see if it knocks the hum down.  Maybe that's helpful...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-Audio/i-dC8cnZV/0/de6ba271/XL/Screenshot%202024-02-01%20at%2012.41.36%E2%80%AFAM-XL.png

48 (edited by Auratus 2024-02-01 07:09:27)

You generally want to keep digital and analog devices on seperate transformer isolated power banks.  Digital devices typically run on noisy, light weight, efficient, switch mode power supplies.  Analog devices typically run on quiet, heavy, inefficient linear power supplies.

jmimac351 wrote:

Not sure what's "not happy" in the system when the ADI-2 DAC is "OFF", plugged in, and connected to am amplifier that is "ON".  When the ADI-2 DAC is "ON", it's fairly quiet.

In Off state the balanced output is no longer balanced, one pin is connected to ground. That is not an issue as such an operating mode (DAC Off, Amp On) is useless.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
jmimac351 wrote:

Not sure what's "not happy" in the system when the ADI-2 DAC is "OFF", plugged in, and connected to am amplifier that is "ON".  When the ADI-2 DAC is "ON", it's fairly quiet.

In Off state the balanced output is no longer balanced, one pin is connected to ground. That is not an issue as such an operating mode (DAC Off, Amp On) is useless.

Whether or not that operating mode is considered "useless", why does the RME ADI-2 DAC create this issue whereas other equipment connected in the same manner does not?  For instance, my Ayre Acoustics KX-5 Twenty preamp does not create a hum issue if it is plugged into the amp while "OFF", with the amp "ON".  If the DPS-2 were utilized on the ADI-2, would the issue still exist? 

I don't fully understand the "why", but the issue does create doubt in my mind regarding how the equipment operates. It seems to me, if something is "OFF" it should not be the source of anything, including "Hum".

Thank you.