Topic: Maximum file size Digicheck GlobalRecord

Hi,

I'm planning to do a live recording next week using 2 HDSP9652s and would like to try out the GlobalRecord function of Digicheck for that.
In the past, I've had some trouble with WAV files getting to big and being truncated (about 5 years ago, admittedly...). As GlobalRecord creates a single interleaved file (which I expect to become huge), I'm curious. Is there anything I have to be aware of to enable my system to write files that big? Is there an absolute maximum file size I should avoid to hit?
The system will be Windows XP pro (which Service Pack to install? SP2? Is SP3 safe yet?) with NTFS-formatted partitions running on a P4 machine.

Thanks in advance,
  Robert

Re: Maximum file size Digicheck GlobalRecord

a) sp3 is absolutely safe, imho!
b) ntfs is the answer to your question! no worries about big files...

I am very very pleased with globalRecord's reliability! (still, if I were you I'd do a test run on my new system...)

good luck!
laex

DC rules!

Of course I'll do a test - this is a one-time concert and I don't want to lose the recording. It'll be just that much more convenient to use the new system (19" chassis) and Digicheck than my Tower system with Cubase, having all the hassle with the Dongle etc...

Be sure to bring a backup recorder of some kind anyhow...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

I wonder if we could open two DC recorder instances, each one adressing a different disk for backup, say the desktop and another external big disk, or a dual C) partition, so what one can secure some redundacy against the main disk writing issues ed:
also one of those can be stopped during the concert session "breaks" in order to save the pending file (because DC records in a temporary file that needs to be saved further on)
Comparing the various recording hardwares available on the market to date, either desk embedded or mobile ones, I am thinking to go for a rugged PC station, connect an HDSP xxxx and use it as a location master recorder thanks to RME's easy to handle features
Just rules :-)

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II

Schubertriad wrote:

I wonder if we could open two DC recorder instances, each one adressing a different disk for backup, say the desktop and another external big disk, or a dual C) partition, so what one can secure some redundacy against the main disk writing issues ed:

This might work in theory (provided both windows share the exact same channel configuration, else there may be clicks when one window starts/stop). On the other hand, it may not be beneficial to system stability on the whole. In the (rare) case of one drive failing to write data, the PC may  behave erratic, possibly affecting the second recording. Feel free to experiment, but mind that you are doing so at your own risk.

In any case, my idea of a redundant backup recording is different, it would always be a separate machine with a separate signal feed.

also one of those can be stopped during the concert session "breaks" in order to save the pending file (because DC records in a temporary file that needs to be saved further on)

Saving pending files into multitrack tends to take a while, possibly longer than a concert interval.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Although I understand you are running Windows, I'd just like to add that "Boom Recorder" offers the functionality of writing simultaneously to as many files/drives as you like and has some metering too. I can vouch for it's stability, I just used it for 6 weeks straight and it didn't crash once, also, it splits up BWAV files at 2047 Mbyte automatically.
Pity there isn't a windows version at this stage.

It must be reminded from previous MC's comments that GlobalRecorder was not engineered and does not intend to replace an heavy duty multitracks recorder, but it does perform very well...:-)
My best choice to date in case I would have some money left for investment, would be to apply Multiface II and DigiRecorder as being THE backup recorder, with full access to multiple metering, easy to look for at mid distance in contrary to the small windowed LCD's of portable gears
Every combinations are versatile with RME, easy life :-)
My problem is what of HDSP9632,9652, Raydat,AES, multiface, digiface....so many options left !

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II