Topic: Relay clicks

I intend to purchase the ADI2DAC. But I read here about relay clicks. I once had a Project preamp that produced a click (and short mute) with every change of bit depth and/or sample rate. Since my music varies greatly in bit depth and sample rate (PCM/FLAC), can I ask if the ADI2DAC also produces a click with every change of bit depth and/or sample rate?
Thanks, Hans

Re: Relay clicks

They don’t when switching formats and bit depths. Clearly written in the manual.

Thanks! Hans

4 (edited by Siemak 2023-05-29 10:28:37)

My ADI2DAC does click when the source file bit rate changes. To avoid that annoying pops n clicks I've set everything to 192 kHz in my Roon player.

5 (edited by ning 2023-05-29 12:04:22)

Siemak wrote:

My ADI2DAC does click when the source file bit rate changes. To avoid that annoying pops n clicks I've set everything to 192 kHz in my Roon player.

on akm devices when format changes the chip may produce a very small pop noise.
the pop is benign (very very low volume) and will not cause any damage to your equipments and ears.
but there will be no relay clicks. relay clicks happens only when turning on/off an output, or adjusting the output level.

I don't have ess but I assume they are click free.

6 (edited by Siemak 2023-05-29 12:34:15)

My ADI2DAC is on AKM chip. Is it possible to fix the pops in any way? Software update?
Don't get me wrong, I love my RME DAC. I don't mind listening everything fixed to 192kHz to avoid pops.  It just would be nice having it free of clicks during format changing.

Siemak wrote:

My ADI2DAC is on AKM chip. Is it possible to fix the pops in any way? Software update?
Don't get me wrong, I love my RME DAC. I don't mind listening everything fixed to 192kHz to avoid pops.  It just would be nice having it free of clicks during format changing.

rear output has muting transistors, hp outs has muting relays (which produces clicking sound themselves). in theory there is a way but I would consider it overkill for minor pops that trivial.

Siemak wrote:

What is your typical listening volume set at the ADI-2 DAC?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's about - 50 to - 40 dBr.     The clicks I can hear are from the speakers not the machine (DAC).
I fixed everything to 192 kHz in Roon player to avoid those clicks during format changing.

Siemak wrote:

It's about - 50 to - 40 dBr.     The clicks I can hear are from the speakers not the machine (DAC).
I fixed everything to 192 kHz in Roon player to avoid those clicks during format changing.

-40 dBr, or even -50 dBr is a bit on the low side.

Either turn down your speaker’s inputs, or think about getting passive attenuators to come up into the range of -20 dBr on ADI-2.

Not sure if this reduces the clicks (that you have solved anyway), but could gain a little increase in signal quality.

I think that the volume level has nothing to do with the click. This click (it's just one click) is caused by the DACs resyncing to new sample rate and normally happens for a second or two before stabilising.  - Am I right?

Could this be fixed in firmware update so there's no audible click when change sample rate? Or I need to live with that?

12 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-31 15:51:50)

I don‘t get annoying clicks here, but running better matched levels.

Siemak wrote:

I think that the volume level has nothing to do with the click.

That’s probably true, the click is constant, independent of volume setting, albeit quite low in level.

If you now up ADI-2’s level and bring down your speaker‘s sensitivity accordingly, the click will be much less audible.

> Could this be fixed in firmware update so there's no audible click when change sample rate? Or I need to live with that?

you need to live with that.

Based on you are using -50dbr, you are having a too low volume and thus a very low SNR + a relatively high pop level compared to your music. try adjusting to use the lowest possible reference level, and set your preamp / amp to use the lowest gain.

If you still end up with low listening volume by doing above, try passive attenuators.

14 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-31 09:58:41)

ning wrote:

... try adjusting to use the (*)lowest possible reference level, and set your preamp / amp to use the lowest gain.

(*) ...highest...
- but I suggest NOT to set Reference Level manually, just stay with Auto Ref Level for best results.

Just checked again:
No clicks on my (ESS) ADI-2/4 switching between 44.1, 48, 96 and 192 kHz PCM.
Neither on Headphones-, nor on Main Out.

Don’t have my (AKM) ADI-2 Pro with me, so can’t check.
Can’t recall anything significant on it, switching SRs all the time (Tidal Master).
Neither can I check DSD here, which has it’s own limitations.

Anyway, all latest ADI-2 DAC’s are ESS, so at least for these I don’t see a reason why it should behave different.

Siemak has an AKM so has (super low) audible pop. it is nothing when compared to full amplitutude signals. but he's setting it to -50. so could be relatively loud.

i think it's the lowest reference level. -50db volume would be -32db volume if you set the reference level from +19 to +1dbu

Yes, the amp/speakers are definitely much too sensiitve and the pop/click thus becomes audible. If AutoRef is already active the only solution would be external attenuators. If not, activate it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, firmware v117.
In AD/DA mode, connected via ADAT to a recording interface.

Initial situation: Windows 10 Pro 22H2
a) running PC game
b) parallel music playback via MusicBee (via madiface ASIO driver, v0.9818)

Test: random playback of music content with different sample rates ("single-/double-/quad-" speed) by using an Auto Playback List in MusicBee.

The first two times, I don't know why, I got two relay clicks, possibly due to auto ref level (is always enabled). My volume setting is around -25 to -35.

That was it though, after 50 further title changes no further relay click. This only happens, when I change the volume and another ref level is regarded better.

The sample rate changes immediately without delay.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13