Topic: Ipad > UCX > UFX III with adat

Hello,
my problem is that I connected the devices.
iPad with USB connection to UCX (I've used this without problems so far).

I bought a UFX 3 and connected it to the UCX via ADAT connection.
if I don't open totalmix on the IPAD, the sound contains digital noises. If I change the window, the problem still occurs in many cases.
All drivers and firmware are the latest on all devices. What could be the problem?

I also tried to make the word clock come from the UFX 3, but in that case the sound of the software running on the IPAD became unrecognizably distorted, the instruments connected to the preamp are perfect.

UFX 3, UCX, UCX 2, mic12, Babyface pro FS

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-05-17 13:11:36)

Re: Ipad > UCX > UFX III with adat

Hi
I guess with proper clock settings it should work fine. Can be a bit tricky on iPad side. So please tell us:
- Do you have ADAT optical cables in both directions?
- on the iPad in Totalmix, is there the background mode enabled or disabled (under RME interface settings when hitting the gear wheel symbol)?
- what audio app do you have in use on the iPad?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Hello,
yes, it is connected in both directions with an optical cable (ADAT).
Background mode is enabled in Totalmix on the iPad.
What I use: Geoshred, Minimoog, Korg module Pro and Gadets.

I've got a similar setup, UCXII and an UCX connected by ADAT.

I have both set to clock source "internal" and I ALWAYS use AUM (by Kymatica) on the iPad as the host for routing the ADAT channel inputs and outputs. If not using AUM I find things get weird and unpredictable, like some iPad applications are just changeing sample rate and buffer like they wish making things go to ****.

Fireface UCXII & UCX , MacBook Pro m1, Sonoma

brucezly wrote:

Hello,

But you didn't tell us who is master and who is slave - Clock settings...

UCX should be set to Internal, UFX III should sync to the ADAT input (can be set directly via the display).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
brucezly wrote:

Hello,

UCX should be set to Internal, UFX III should sync to the ADAT input (can be set directly via the display).

When all clock signals are internal on both devices, the totalmix window must be running so that there are no digital noises.
These noises apply to all sounds. Also for analog inputs and iPad apps.
if UFX is the master and UCX is the slave, the sound of the Ipad applications will deteriorate, otherwise the analog inputs are noiseless even without an open totalmix window.

LarsErik wrote:

I've got a similar setup, UCXII and an UCX connected by ADAT.

I have both set to clock source "internal" and I ALWAYS use AUM (by Kymatica) on the iPad as the host for routing the ADAT channel inputs and outputs. If not using AUM I find things get weird and unpredictable, like some iPad applications are just changeing sample rate and buffer like they wish making things go to ****.

Then I have to look for the problem in the ipad, thanks.

brucezly wrote:
MC wrote:
brucezly wrote:

Hello,

When all clock signals are internal on both devices, the totalmix window must be running so that there are no digital noises.
if UFX is the master and UCX is the slave, the sound of the Ipad applications will deteriorate, otherwise the analog inputs are noiseless even without an open totalmix window.

That is not what I advised you to do. Both on internal will NOT work without seldom but regular clicks or worse. UCX slave can NOT work when the sample rate is unequal the one currently active in the UFX III.  The iPad will NOT follow such external clocks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
brucezly wrote:
MC wrote:

That is not what I advised you to do. Both on internal will NOT work without seldom but regular clicks or worse. UCX slave can NOT work when the sample rate is unequal the one currently active in the UFX III.  The iPad will NOT follow such external clocks.

My problem with what you suggested is that I am now connecting 12mic-s to the UFX 3 via MADI. So what is the setting for those to make the whole chain work?

12Mic syncs to MADI In.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, I'll try.

A noob question: won't I fail the SteadyClock FS feature in this case?

No, it works for all digital (clock-) signals, whether it comes along with audio over AES, SPDIF, ADAT, MADI or via Word Clock.

Side note: there is information on the RME web server and even a video about it, check it out, then you know yourself better:
https://www.rme-audio.de/steadyclock-fs.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

No, it works for all digital (clock-) signals, whether it comes along with audio over AES, SPDIF, ADAT, MADI or via Word Clock.

Side note: there is information on the RME web server and even a video about it, check it out, then you know yourself better:
https://www.rme-audio.de/steadyclock-fs.html

thanks, i'll check it out.
I thought it was because UCX doesn't have steadyclock FS, and the rest of the chain does. And the clock signal would be provided by UCX.

Every RME recording interface has "SteadyClock", check manual, e.g., ch 4 and 39.8.
If you search for SteadyClock you will find even more occurrences of SteadyClock in the manual.

SteadyClock FS is an advancement over the original SteadyClock, offering even higher accuracy and improved performance in terms of clocking and jitter suppression due to femtosecond clock technology.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I tested the suggestions. It works without digital noise and clicking.

However, it is strange that if I close totalmix on the iPad, the entire chain would switch to a different sample rate. From 48kHz to 44.1, even if no other app is running. 48kHz everywhere in the saved settings of totalmix.