Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS sound quality of different sources.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this.
I have all my CDs converted to FLAC, run them off of a laptop that's sole purpose is as a FLAC server. I also use a 6 disc Onkyo DVD player as a CD transport.

I was comparing the 2 and I think the CD transport sounds better, more space between instruments and more defined.

The FLAC "should" sound just as good. Any reason it wouldn't?

Laptop connected via USB, CDP via Coax.

Any thoughts?

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS sound quality of different sources.

Have you examined the program that created the .flac file? Did it keep the same sample rate and bit size? Have other users reported problems with its conversions?

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-05-31 07:17:21)

• Check your streamer with RME Bit Test, it might alter volume or anything (read manual chapter 31.14).

Download and play the Bit Test files:
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/bit_test_wavs.zip

• Convert the 44.1 kHz 16 bit Bit Test file (441_16_adi2pro_bittest.wav) to FLAC and test again.

Do you see the message “Bit Test 16 Bit passed”?

• Are your FLAC files still 44.1 kHz Sample Rate?
Look lower right corner of ADI-2’s main screen.

• Did the conversion soft change the loudness of the files?
Check ADI-2’s Peak Meter, set to “Pre FX”.
Do you see the same figures from CD and FLAC, playing the same music track?

I’ve converted some CD’s to ALAC (Apple Lossles Audio Compression), using iTunes.
I don’t hear any difference.

4 (edited by brad1138 2023-06-03 01:45:39)

KaiS wrote:

• Check your streamer with RME Bit Test, it might alter volume or anything (read manual chapter 31.14).

• Convert the 44.1 kHz 16 bit Bit Test file (441_16_adi2pro_bittest.wav) to FLAC and test again.

I’ve converted some CD’s to ALAC (Apple Lossles Audio Compression), using iTunes.

I'll address all that when I have more time, but I just noticed that it says 44.1 kHz even when I play high res 88.2 kHz FLAC files I have. I recently bought some Mark Knopfler albums @ 88.2, am I not getting the benefit?
I can select 88.2 or a half dozen other frequencies from the MADIface taskbar icon and it will then change it on the RME DAC display. What should I select/do?

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-03 09:40:52)

brad1138 wrote:
KaiS wrote:

I'll address all that when I have more time, but I just noticed that it says 44.1 kHz even when I play high res 88.2 kHz FLAC files I have. I recently bought some Mark Knopfler albums @ 88.2, am I not getting the benefit?
I can select 88.2 or a half dozen other frequencies from the MADIface taskbar icon and it will then change it on the RME DAC display. What should I select/do?

There‘s a misconfiguration in your laptop.
With the information provided I can‘t locate it.

Might be you need to uninstall the driver, depends on the player soft you use.
If the player soft supports ASIO (best solution), the driver is needed, else the driver should be uninstalled for automatic sample rate switching.

Run RME Bit Test and vary settings etc., until you get a positive result.

Remark:

brad1138 wrote:

...converted to FLAC, run them off of a laptop that's sole purpose is as a FLAC server. ...

ADI-2 isn‘t a server/streamer client in the sense having its own player soft built in.
It‘s just an audio interface that 1:1 converts to analog what you throw at it.

6 (edited by beat8000 2023-06-03 11:28:54)

If you still use Foobar2000 to play your Flac files as in your thread from 2022 I think you will have to install the ASIO plugin in Foobar, because it will be missing in the standard installation.   

After that you could choose ASIO Madiface USB as Output device in Foobar. The great advantage is that the output sample rates will be changed automatically according to your input.

For the 64 bit version of Foobar2000 which I'm using I would recommend the ASIO + DSD plugin and also to set the bits of the output device to the maximum of 24 bits. In the 32 bit Foobar version this is done according to the input.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

KaiS wrote:
brad1138 wrote:
KaiS wrote:

There‘s a misconfiguration in your laptop.
With the information provided I can‘t locate it.

Might be you need to uninstall the driver, depends on the player soft you use.
If the player soft supports ASIO (best solution), the driver is needed, else the driver should be uninstalled for automatic sample rate switching.

Run RME Bit Test and vary settings etc., until you get a positive result.

Remark:

brad1138 wrote:

...converted to FLAC, run them off of a laptop that's sole purpose is as a FLAC server. ...

ADI-2 isn‘t a server/streamer client in the sense having its own player soft built in.
It‘s just an audio interface that 1:1 converts to analog what you throw at it.

beat8000 wrote:

If you still use Foobar2000 to play your Flac files as in your thread from 2022 I think you will have to install the ASIO plugin in Foobar, because it will be missing in the standard installation.   

After that you could choose ASIO Madiface USB as Output device in Foobar. The great advantage is that the output sample rates will be changed automatically according to your input.

For the 64 bit version of Foobar2000 which I'm using I would recommend the ASIO + DSD plugin and also to set the bits of the output device to the maximum of 24 bits. In the 32 bit Foobar version this is done according to the input.

Thanks both,

Sounds like I should uninstall Foobar and the RME driver. Then install the 64 bit version (2.0+) of Foobar and the ASIO + DSD component and reinstall the RME driver.

There is also a firmware update for the RME that just came out in the last few weeks, but that is not likely address anything I am dealing with, so I don't think I will mess with it.

(I know "server" isn't the proper term, but I just think of it that way. )

8 (edited by beat8000 2023-06-03 18:59:52)

First I recommend to just update the RME driver if it is not the latest version.

After that I think you should try the 32-bit version of Foobar2000 2.0 because there are usually no issues with this version.

I have learned to handle the 64-bit version during the tests of 35 beta versions.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

I’d just try nothing else than to install Foobar’s ASIO support on the existing configuration, that should do the trick.

In that case I would save the content of C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000.
With this data Foobar could be reinstalled to the state before any occuring issue.