1 (edited by ARNK 2023-05-30 01:33:37)

Topic: Am I doing this all wrong? Newb

First off, I use a FIREFACE UFX.  In TotalMix FX, the main out is set to unity gain (+4dBu).

What this means is that when Windows volume is set to 100%, the output is loud as shit. So I need to turn the Windows volume to 40 or 50% or set any audio player (like YouTube or Bandcamp) to a quarter of its volume so it doesn't blast my speakers. When I open songs in my DAW that don't run through Windows volume my speakers roar.

I've been running the UFX redundantly through a passive preamp but it does allow me to control the overall volume via one knob. But it is redundant.

Is this the norm or is there a better way to tame the volume? It wouldn't make sense to have my main out set to -40dB would it? I'd prefer to not have to turn everything that plays audio down and just have it set in one place -- without the use of the preamp.

Re: Am I doing this all wrong? Newb

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

For balanced outputs: JTS Mic attenuator MA-123, XLR to XLR, available for around 20 €, switchable attenuation of -10, -20 and -30 dB.

I’m replying here because that thread is closed.

So I’d need one of these for each speaker in my studio correct?

Also I’d plug these directly into the UFX? Is that the recommended setup?

Thank you

4 (edited by ramses 2023-05-31 08:20:34)

I would not connect it directly to the recording interface, but directly in front of the active monitor, so that the audio signal is first transmitted in undiminished strength over the entire cable length.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ARNK 2023-05-31 15:22:42)

ramses wrote:

I would not connect it directly to the recording interface, but directly in front of the active monitor, so that the audio signal is first transmitted in undiminished strength over the entire cable length.

This might be dumb but I’ll ask anyway, so the MA123 would be plugged into the monitor itself?

Thanks

What else?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13