Topic: Cannot stream from 2 Digiface AVB at the same time

My system contains following:
2 x RME Digiface AVB (2 PC)
2 x RME AVB Tool
1 x RME 12Mic
2 x Netgear M4250
All streams are Milan/AAF
It is OK to stream from 12Mic, AVB Tools to both DF AVB, it is OK to stream from DF AVB to the other DF AVB, and any Studio Tool or 12MIC.
It is NOT OK when trying to stream from the other DF AVB to any device, it always flashing red, and the status show: [Waiting.... ], as soon as I stop all the stream from thw working DF AVB device, the other DF AVB stream will work.
Anything I shall change? I just update both DF AVB firmware, same problem.

2 (edited by Max 2023-05-08 08:55:14)

Re: Cannot stream from 2 Digiface AVB at the same time

Hi,
thank you for the report. Apart from the firmware update, please also make sure you are using the latest driver.

Could you run a quick test after making sure that the M-4250 also have the lastest firmware version:
1) connect both DF AVB to the same M-4250 - does streaming in both directions (at the same time) work?
2) add the second M-4250 (DF AVB 1 - M-4250 - M-4250 - DF AVB 2) in between - does it continue to work?

Are you using Hive Hive to create the connections? If so, you could export a full network state (File > Export... > Full network state) when the problem occurs and send it to the RME support for further investigation.

Edit: please also test renaming one of the Digiface AVBs in case you have not done that already.

Max wrote:

Hi,
thank you for the report. Apart from the firmware update, please also make sure you are using the latest driver.

Could you run a quick test after making sure that the M-4250 also have the lastest firmware version:
1) connect both DF AVB to the same M-4250 - does streaming in both directions (at the same time) work?
2) add the second M-4250 (DF AVB 1 - M-4250 - M-4250 - DF AVB 2) in between - does it continue to work?

Are you using Hive Hive to create the connections? If so, you could export a full network state (File > Export... > Full network state) when the problem occurs and send it to the RME support for further investigation.

Edit: please also test renaming one of the Digiface AVBs in case you have not done that already.

Thanks Max, I did tried to connect both DF AVB to the same M4250 to run the test (previouse test with 2 M4250 not thoroughly for they are located in different room.). Also I rename all the same modelwith different name as to tell who is who.
Will try again update M4250 firmware later on.
I did not use Hive, need to study that.

4 (edited by 9s.recording 2023-05-29 11:00:05)

Update Netgear M4250 firmware to 13.0.4.13. Still not working properly.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BD2VVa … share_link

5 (edited by 9s.recording 2023-05-29 11:01:22)

Replace Netgear M4250 with Presonus SW5E, and both Digiface AVB can stream together.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bgGdvy … share_link

We've reached out to Netgear and they are sending us two devices for testing them with the Digiface AVB stack, hope that this can be reproduced and fixed.
-Max

Max wrote:

We've reached out to Netgear and they are sending us two devices for testing them with the Digiface AVB stack, hope that this can be reproduced and fixed.
-Max

Hi Max: Are you able to reproduce the same problem there?

Hi,
I have 2 Netgear switches M4250 connected to each other over VLAN ID3. To each switch there is a digiface AVB connected. Everything works as expected. You have to configure avb per port and set a VLAN ID.
/Uwe

uwekirst wrote:

Hi,
I have 2 Netgear switches M4250 connected to each other over VLAN ID3. To each switch there is a digiface AVB connected. Everything works as expected. You have to configure avb per port and set a VLAN ID.
/Uwe

Thanks Uwe, I tried to connect both digiface AVB to the same M4250, still doesn't work properly. I set the M4250 with the latest user interface recommended by Netgear online support. Everything works, only the 2 digiface AVB cannot stream at the same time.
However, with the same setup, Presonus SW5E works just fine.
Can you tell my how you configure your M4250? Thanks!

You log in with your passwort and set each port you are planning to use to AVB, vlan ID = 3. You need an AVB license preinstalled otherwise it will not work. Please contact netgear for support and AVB license.
This is howto check wether you have an AVB switch (or not): connect the switch to a network card of your choise (but not Digiface avb under windows) and record the network traffic in promiscouse mode with wireshark. If you see a "PDelay Request" you have an AVB switch.

11 (edited by 9s.recording 2023-06-07 08:38:54)

uwekirst wrote:

You log in with your passwort and set each port you are planning to use to AVB, vlan ID = 3. You need an AVB license preinstalled otherwise it will not work. Please contact netgear for support and AVB license.
This is howto check wether you have an AVB switch (or not): connect the switch to a network card of your choise (but not Digiface avb under windows) and record the network traffic in promiscouse mode with wireshark. If you see a "PDelay Request" you have an AVB switch.

Hi Uwe
AVB license is activated, everything AVB is working, except streaming from the 2 Digiface AVB at the same time.
I use M4250 AV UI login, the new firmware got an easy interface that has AVB profile ready. Set all the ports to AVB mode according to Netgear suggestion. I just login and found my vlan ID = 1, will this be the problem? Here is the screen capture image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JvRLRd … drive_link

It seems that the current netifc driver (mac os) does not support vlan tagging. This is why it does not receive PTP messages. I did not find a way to turn it off within the gui of the netgear switch. I am now working on an update of the netifc tool to fix the issue.

Hi 9S,

we have re-created your streaming setup and can successfully stream from two Digiface AVB (attached to two M4250) to an AVB Tool.
We cannot open your Google Drive Link in #11.

Again, if you could install Hive and Export > Full Network State that would be very helpful. Also, please confirm that you are using the latest firmware versions for AVB Tool and Digiface AVB.

The type of error you are seeing is related to the Stream Reservation Protocol and therefore likely related to the switch (that is why the Presonus switch seems to solve the problem in your case). But it works on our M4250 switches, so if you could dump your configuration file, we could compare that for potential misconfiguration.

Are you on Windows or macOS?

-Max

Max wrote:

Hi 9S,

we have re-created your streaming setup and can successfully stream from two Digiface AVB (attached to two M4250) to an AVB Tool.

Again, if you could install Hive and Export > Full Network State that would be very helpful. Also, please confirm that you are using the latest firmware versions for AVB Tool and Digiface AVB.

The type of error you are seeing is related to the Stream Reservation Protocol and therefore likely related to the switch (that is why the Presonus switch seems to solve the problem in your case). But it works on our M4250 switches, so if you could dump your configuration file, we could compare that for potential misconfiguration.

-Max

Hi Max:
I am on Windows, will try tomorrow.
Found the setting of sharing is open, it can be viewed now.

Max wrote:

Hi 9S,

-Max

Hi Max:
Which firmware version on your M4250?
And did you setup M4250 via AV UI by the preset AVB profile?
Thanks!

Hi 9S,
same firmware as yours (13.0.4.13) and yes, I used the AV UI and set up the ports like yours with the AVB profile. Really not much to configure there.
-Max

17 (edited by 9s.recording 2023-06-14 11:35:40)

How did you did it? My system is working now. I did not change anything, same firmware, same setting. I just plug in my NB, attached with a DF AVB. Exactly the same as I got the problem, but the problem is gone now.
Don't understand at all. I did not change anything on the M4250.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10yD0lW … drive_link

Max wrote:

Hi 9S,
same firmware as yours (13.0.4.13) and yes, I used the AV UI and set up the ports like yours with the AVB profile. Really not much to configure there.
-Max

Thanks for letting us know. If you can reproduce the issue in future, please let us know how you do it. In our experiments, this always works without problems.
-Max

Connect everything together: 2 x M4250, 2 x DF AVB, 2 x AVBTool, 1 x 12MIC.
Streaming from both DF AVB all green light now.

The causes are to be found here!

EEE 802.1BA-2011
IEEE 802.1AS-2011 gPTP, IEEE 802.1Qav-2009 FQTSS, IEEE 802.1Qat-2010 MSRP, IEEE 802.1ak MMRP, IEEE
802.1ak MVRP

"IEEE 1588 (section 10 and 11.5) PTPv2 Transparent
Clock (TC) End-to-End implementation considering
the residence time of PTPv2 packets from ingress to
egress"

It's not an AVB switch and the fact that money is being asked for it is actually an impertinence. Obsolete standards and no boundary clock!